Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transferring pre-paid minutes

Feedback Score

Transferring pre-paid minutes

My LG 900g has accumulated 5700 PAID minutes which is worth $350.-. Want to buy unlocked LG L90 and transfer these minutes from LG 900g to LG L90. Are these minutes "documented" on old phone SIM card and can this card be used in new phone so I don't lose my minutes?
    Carrier is Net10 which will just "steal" my 5700 minutes because they only offer "unlimited" monthly plan for LG90.
    Thanks so much for your help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PW53 View Post
    My LG 900g has accumulated 5700 PAID minutes which is worth $350.-. Want to buy unlocked LG L90 and transfer these minutes from LG 900g to LG L90. Are these minutes "documented" on old phone SIM card and can this card be used in new phone so I don't lose my minutes?
    Carrier is Net10 which will just "steal" my 5700 minutes because they only offer "unlimited" monthly plan for LG90.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    the sim card that you have now is locked to that phone and cannot be used in any other phone.
    the other phone that you want can only be used on the unlimited plan. and you cannot transfer
    your remaining balance from your current phone to the unlimited plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread moved to Tracfone/Net10 as it deals with a specific carrier.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the sim card that you have now is locked to that phone and cannot be used in any other phone.
    the other phone that you want can only be used on the unlimited plan. and you cannot transfer
    your remaining balance from your current phone to the unlimited plan.
    Can SIM card of old phone be unlocked?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PW53 View Post
    Can SIM card of old phone be unlocked?
    Absolutely not, the SIM is forever locked to that one Net10 phone. The minutes can only be transferred to another NON-Smartphone from NET 10, which does not seem to be an acceptable option for you.

How did you end up with so many minutes? Did you add airtime because you needed days of service? If so you most likely should have been with Tracfone, unless you just had to have that LG 900G..

Have you considered selling the phone? How many days are with the 5700 minutes?
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 11-02-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    The SIM is used basically for network purposes and has nothing to do with the minutes. The SIM could also possibly store some contacts, texts, etc. if this option is chosen, but that is it. Once a SIM is activated with a particular phone, the SIM is not usable with another phone. Tracfone/Net10 locks the two serial numbers together. If someone needs to change phone numbers or activate a different phone, the company will just send out a new SIM and start over. A SIM is good for only one phone number and one activation. I am talking about feature phones, which is what you have now.

Your minutes are stored on the handset, actually. The company knows your expiration date and can deduce your minutes by using call records. I have suspicions that the newer feature phones can also transmit the minute balance to the company when necessary.

If you want a smartphone, they work on a different principle because minutes cannot be stored on the handset. So, Net10 just goes with the monthly plans. Tracfone has figured out a way to have minutes with their smartphones, because they have purchased the Page Plus system. But that uses only Verizon as the underlying carrier.

There is no way to migrate your Net10 minutes to a smartphone at the present time, as far as I know.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you had been with Tracfone you could have moved your airtime from your single bucket phone to a smartphone but not the other direction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you had been with Tracfone you could have moved your airtime from your single bucket phone to a smartphone but not the other direction.
    Been with Tracfone for awhile now & think I may move up to a Android (either LG 34C or 41C) If I decide a smartphone isn't for me & move back to my current single bucket LG290C, (or something else) are you saying I'd lose all minutes & service time? (currently about 14 months) I could see losing the minutes with the 3 bucket Android system & minutes tripling, but don't understand why I should lose service time? Am I correct in that & have to assume that's Tracfones policy?
    On another note in regards to Androids, is it true you're charged a full minute for each incoming & outgoing text? I thought I read that in another thread & want to be certain on that. Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
    If I decide a smartphone isn't for me & move back to my current single bucket LG290C, are you saying I'd lose all minutes & service time? I could see losing the minutes with the 3 bucket Android system & minutes tripling, but don't understand why I should lose service time? Am I correct in that & have to assume that's Tracfones policy?
    On another note in regards to Androids, is it true you're charged a full minute for each incoming & outgoing text? I thought I read that in another thread & want to be certain on that. Thanks.
    When transferring from an Android to a non-Android, you'll lose all the minutes, but the service days will transfer. That's how TF reps handle it, even though it's not stated in their Terms of Service.

On an Android, each text received/sent costs a text unit, but since you get 3x the face value of a time card in each talk/text/data bucket, it's not really a bad deal, unless you're a heavy text user. For someone like me who uses the phone mostly for talk, the text units are like "bonus" over the usual talk minutes, so I don't mind if each text costs one text unit. BTW, you'll be charged for an incoming text whether you open/read it or not (except the FREE text from TF when you request your balances).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    When transferring from an Android to a non-Android, you'll lose all the minutes, but the service days will transfer. That's how TF reps handle it, even though it's not stated in their Terms of Service.

On an Android, each text received/sent costs a text unit, but since you get 3x the face value of a time card in each talk/text/data bucket, it's not really a bad deal, unless you're a heavy text user. For someone like me who uses the phone mostly for talk, the text units are like "bonus" over the usual talk minutes, so I don't mind if each text costs one text unit. BTW, you'll be charged for an incoming text whether you open/read it or not (except the FREE text from TF when you request your balances).
    OK, thank you. That makes sense the service time would transfer & how I thought it worked. And thanks for the text info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The SIM is used basically for network purposes and has nothing to do with the minutes. The SIM could also possibly store some contacts, texts, etc. if this option is chosen, but that is it. Once a SIM is activated with a particular phone, the SIM is not usable with another phone. Tracfone/Net10 locks the two serial numbers together. If someone needs to change phone numbers or activate a different phone, the company will just send out a new SIM and start over. A SIM is good for only one phone number and one activation. I am talking about feature phones, which is what you have now.

Your minutes are stored on the handset, actually. The company knows your expiration date and can deduce your minutes by using call records. I have suspicions that the newer feature phones can also transmit the minute balance to the company when necessary.

If you want a smartphone, they work on a different principle because minutes cannot be stored on the handset. So, Net10 just goes with the monthly plans. Tracfone has figured out a way to have minutes with their smartphones, because they have purchased the Page Plus system. But that uses only Verizon as the underlying carrier.

There is no way to migrate your Net10 minutes to a smartphone at the present time, as far as I know.
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me with my questions. Much appreciated. I wonder if Net10 will adopt the same system as TracFone (minutes vs monthly on a smart phone) since they are the same company. I have accrued this many minutes because where I up until recently lived there is no cell reception/cable/internet. Since I am on the Easy Minute plan they just keep piling up. Not many service days because Net10 had to send me a new SIM and I lost all my accumulated service days. Moved heaven on earth to get them back, to no avail!!!

Feedback Score
    Installing a new SIM should not result in the loss of anything. If you got switched between AT&T / T-Mobile, sometimes there is a fuss about porting a phone number, but airtime should not be stolen from you. If you are interested in pursuing this with the highest CS, I have a contact for you.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Has Tracfone had anyone use codes to get the correct airtime on a three bucket phone?
    I am wondering about the relationship between the codes and Parameter 30.
    In other words, which sets first, the airtime or parameter 30 (the chicken or the egg)?
    May be no way to ever know how the codes work.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    There is no way to enter code to a TF Android. All balance data is kept on TF system, any correction is done there.

Feedback Score
    Codes only apply to GSM phones. There are no Tracfone GSM Androids.
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast