Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint replacing Virgin Mobile USA with Boost Mobile

Device(s)
    LG Optimus V/LG Rumor Touch/Nokia Nuron
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sprint replacing Virgin Mobile USA with Boost Mobile

Received this month's dealer newsletter and noticed an interesting tidbit.

Name:  virginmobile.png
Views: 7404
Size:  71.9 KB

For those who can't see the image, it reminds dealers to dispose of Virgin Mobile promotional material and replace it with incoming Boost Material. The disposing of Virgin Mobile material isn't rare, as they release new promotional materials with plan changes but the fact that it suggests replacing it with Boost material is concerning. The newsletter also ignores Virgin Mobile for the most part focusing on Boost. It also ignores the Sharp Crystal for Virgin Mobile, and the new plans for Virgin for that part.

This is a far cry from when Virgin dominated this newsletter during the 25/35 plan heyday.
    New York Mets fan

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    This has been rumored for a while.

The questions remain: will Sprint sunset Boost in the big box stores? Will Sprint pull Virgin altogether? What is the point of having Sprint Prepaid and Virgin in the same sales channel (eg: Best Buy)?

It made a little sense to offer Sprint Prepaid in the corporate stores in case some customers did not qualify for postpaid.

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's about time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galsxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how current customers will transition, or if you are just supposed to leave and shop around. Will your Virgin phone work on Boost? I still have 3 family members on VM, although I left this year. Could be some super good close out deals, but of course the VM phones will be worthless if there is no service for them.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiopoid View Post
    I wonder how current customers will transition, or if you are just supposed to leave and shop around. Will your Virgin phone work on Boost? I still have 3 family members on VM, although I left this year. Could be some super good close out deals, but of course the VM phones will be worthless if there is no service for them.
    The network that VM phones operate on isn't going away, so there's no need to force subscribers to go away. Subscribers are the key component of a wireless company's valuation as a company, so the notion that they would be abandoned and told to fend for themselves in the marketplace is kind of absurd. That's why the customer base has been protected with grandfathering over the years, to help prevent mass defections.

Just wait and see what happens. The resulting changes may not be an improvement for everyone, but I am certain it won't be as bleak as the scenario you paint.

Feedback Score
    virgin is being pulled form the 'indirect dealer' channel. the website and presence in big box store will remain.

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering how this might effect my plans. I have VM and the HTC 816 which I love. I was getting ready to sell it to buy the Sharp through Boost because I need more data. Any chance they will merge and I will be able to use the 816 on Boost?

Feedback Score
    I have the 816 as well and love it. I would love to use it on boost.

HTC Desire 816

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Odds are they will not merge, at least for a long time. Richard Branson owns the Virgin Mobile name, so they probably still have an agreement with him to use the name for a while. They'll do their best to get their money's worth from that deal. My guess is that you'll see more Sprint phones on Boost instead of any Virgin phones being put on their.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.6.35843/35.5561; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by Churner
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiopoid
    The network that VM phones operate on isn't going away, so there's no need to force subscribers to go away. Subscribers are the key component of a wireless company's valuation as a company, so the notion that they would be abandoned and told to fend for themselves in the marketplace is kind of absurd. That's why the customer base has been protected with grandfathering over the years, to help prevent mass defections.

Just wait and see what happens. The resulting changes may not be an improvement for everyone, but I am certain it won't be as bleak as the scenario you paint.
    No details yet, but pulling VM out of Boost Stores has been in the works for a few months now. ... The introduction of Sprint branded prepaid into some Best Buy and other retailers may be a signal of SPG returning Boost Mobile into a dealer centered product. ... An additional change that has gotten very little notice is Best Buy having liquidated all VM PayLo product from most of their stores. ... There is also a new VM basic phone that was in Virgin Mobile packaging and not PayLo packaging featuring the current VM service options. ... This indicates that SPG has come to the conclusion that VM's retail strength lies at the Big Box retailers along with online sales channels like the VM website, HSN, Amazon, etc., etc. ... While Boost Mobile sales are higher through their dealernet.

Aside from both being SPG brands, they each have their own distinct identities which prevented dealers from truly mastering both which resulted in one product being "sold" while the other was rarely featured by the dealers sales staff. Boost strength has always been its simple approach to a basic unlimited menu, while Virgin Mobile has a myriad of services for its subscribers to select from. One can see how easy it is for someone to fail to understand the value each brand represents to different consumers by reading through the various prepaid forums here at HF, and thus it is the same with a Boost Mobile store trying to sell VM products and services or vice-versa.

If Sprint ever decides to merge a prepaid service, which does not seem to be the case at this moment in time, it would probably be folding VM onto the Sprint Prepaid brand, since it is the most compete brand featuring all prepaid service options and not just simple unlimited service.

Last edited by vmobi; 11-18-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.6.35843/35.5561; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless
    Odds are they will not merge, at least for a long time. Richard Branson owns the Virgin Mobile name, so they probably still have an agreement with him to use the name for a while. They'll do their best to get their money's worth from that deal. My guess is that you'll see more Sprint phones on Boost instead of any Virgin phones being put on their.
    Highly unlikely... and even more so now. Sprint prepaid is replacing Boost Mobile at the big box retailers, see the similar service options, see the somewhat similar devices, notice that data is capped on Sprint Prepaid, ...something tells me data fluctuations were left for Boost Mobile dealers to increase traffic and compete against Cricket and MetroPCS (at this time). The lack of iPhone product on Sprint's branded prepaid is intended to keep subscribers wanting an iPhone on the postpaid side (iPhone for life option). While the new VM iPhone might arrive after all Boost Mobile retailers are no longer offering VM product in their stores, to keep customers from opting for VM's better deals/options.

Sprint's agreement with Branson is in place for 10+ more years with exclusive rights to extend it. ... Anything is possible but it's highly unlikely that Sprint would walk away from the VM contract at this time with the current expansion of the Virgin brand now underway in the Americas.

If they found it so easy to replace boost at the Big box stores, they might just decide to rebrand it entirely and move away from Boost Mobile's ghetto roots. ... just sayin...
    Last edited by vmobi; 11-18-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Virgin Mobile name brand means nothing in the U.S. actually, it means less than nothing, it's a symbol of shame.

Sprint should walk away from the brand. Concentrate on Boost or a Sprint branded prepaid option alone.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    The Virgin Mobile name brand means nothing in the U.S. actually, it means less than nothing, it's a symbol of shame.

Sprint should walk away from the brand. Concentrate on Boost or a Sprint branded prepaid option alone.

via the HoFo App
    Why is the VM name a "symbol of shame"? Virgin is a huge global brand (airlines, music, space travel). where's the shame?
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Why is the VM name a "symbol of shame"? Virgin is a huge global brand (airlines, music, space travel). where's the shame?
    Because it's his typical (boo hoo) whining about anything Sprint.

It wasn't a bad idea to acquire them and take the lead (along with Boost IDEN) in the prepaid arena but they may have served their purpose.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The virgin music label is dead in the U.S., Virgin music stores went out of business in the U.S. and the Virgin brand represents the VERY low end of prepaid.

Billm261, yes I think the Sprint brand is crap too, but not nearly even as lowly as the Virgin name. Sprint needs to unify its prepaid divisions into ONE approach.

via the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast