Thread: Need a new phone and just going around in circles at this point....

Feedback Score

Need a new phone and just going around in circles at this point....

Short Version:
    Screen size: about 4-4.8" (around 4.5 I think would be perfect but flexible, really big like above 5" I think would be a bit too big). Space: 16gb. Memory: 1gb ram at least. Network: GSM. Use: texting, web browsing and a few apps (typically don't play movies, games, that kind of thing)
    Phones considered: used/refurb iphone 4, lg nexus 4, or S4 mini, or a new Moto G

Long Version:
    My samsung galaxy exhibit (2 I think?) that's 2+ yrs old is crapping out on me, and have been planning to buy a new phone for awhile now. I have H2O wireless, which uses ATT, would like to stick with but not totally against switching. I'd also really like to have a phone that is unlocked for ease of switching providers.

Originally planned to get a used iphone 5C, so I can combine my phone and itouch into one device. My main reluctance with it was the screen size, my current samsung has about the same screen size as the iphone 4/5, so a little larger woulda been nice but not a deal breaker. However now I find I'm reluctant to spend over $200 on a phone at the moment. So I'm looking at an Iphone 4, but I had hoped for a newer model, and I worry about the battery being so old (I've heard a few people complain about poor battery life when getting used iphones, esp the 4). Moto G looks good, but held back on that one since several prepaid carriers are offering them at like half the cost of the unlocked version (Cricket for instance), so I'm kinda at a toss up for that. Samsung S4 mini would be a good fit but can't find a good price on one except maybe ebay and not sure buying a phone on there is a good idea? Found a LG Nexus 4 on Groupon for a good price, and looks like there may be few other places I could look. Don't know a lot about the nexus phones, other than they're supposed to be pretty good.

So looks like I'm between a used Iphone 4, S4 Mini, Nexus 4, or new Moto G. I'm hoping someone may have suggestions on these or other phones to look at? Or places that are good to buy used/refurb that's safe and has a good return policy?
    Last edited by jevoyager; 11-25-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Among the Android phones that you list, I'd pick the Moto G. I upgraded from a Nexus 4 to the original Moto G Dual SIM. I enjoy its longer battery life and fast GPS lock. Its camera is probably about average among mid-grade smartphones -- good overall but mediocre in low light.

The Moto G it doesn't get operating system updates as much as the Nexus phones, but it does get them (unlike many orphaned non-Nexus models). Android has changed in the last couple of years to delegate more to apps and thus updates to Android itself are less important.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why not just get a Nexus 5? 4.95 isn't that much larger. LTE, 16 GB, 2 GB RAM, GSM/WCDMA/LTE.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    woah this is an old thread.. didn't realize.