Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Mobile, T-Mobile reseller. Consider it.

Feedback Score

Harbor Mobile, T-Mobile reseller. Consider it.

First, please understand that I am not affiliated with Harbor Mobile in any way and will not benefit in anyway with this posting.

I have been a TMO customer for thirteen years, I think. A few months ago here on HoFo, I became aware of a reseller to businesses of TMO services, Harbor Mobile. See the HoFo thread here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...=harbor+mobile

They describe themselves as a reseller for businesses, but there is nothing that makes you qualify. In the billing page form, there is a chance to plug in a company name, but it is not mandatory.

The pricing was excellent, you got the same TMO coverage and most features, at a substantial discount. If you read the early postings, it's apparent that HM had a lot of stumbling in its start up. And there are some quirks that to this day you have to work around. The biggest is if you are on TMO postpaid, you can't use HM. BUT, you can, either convert your account to prepaid, or port to Google Voice ($20). And you must use a virgin TMO SIM card.

Over the months I've watched the website, have been in contact with support by chat and email, and they just keeping getting their act together, better and better.

This weekend I made the jump. I had bought a new SIM card on eBay for $4, had my postpaid TMO account changed to prepaid a month ago (which immediately resulted in a 14% drop in taxes!) Yes, there were some speed bumps, but the support was excellent, and the porting took about two hours.

When I was on $40/mo TMO plus $4 taxes prepaid plan the data was capped at 1GB. The $33/mo with taxes HM plan gives the same data, but if you reach 1GB, it's only throttled, not capped. This is the same service I was paying $55/mo, postpaid with taxes for. And for some unknown time, they are adding another 2.5GB data through 2015.

For some Real World, cut to the chase facts, go the the last page of the above link; I'm "pzo."

Just wanting to spread cellular joy..............ha ha.......

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Seems interesting but I thought there was a bunch of controversy regarding if HM was actually allowed to sell the plans they do or not... Did this ever get resolved?

Us HM a legitimate retailer who gets exclusive business deals, or are they basically just splitting off a large corporate plan and then charging customers for it? If it's the later your service could go away at any time if T-Mo decides they've had enough....
    N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Seems interesting but I thought there was a bunch of controversy regarding if HM was actually allowed to sell the plans they do or not... Did this ever get resolved?

Us HM a legitimate retailer who gets exclusive business deals, or are they basically just splitting off a large corporate plan and then charging customers for it? If it's the later your service could go away at any time if T-Mo decides they've had enough....
    N
    How rumors get started............... Sheeesh, how do people pull this kind of no-basis in fact stuff out of their nether orifices? OF COURSE THEY ARE AUTHORIZED! (Not yelling at you, but at the person who ever hallucinated that question way back when.) What could they possibly do other than have a business relationship with TM? Steal the service? TM wouldn't catch on?

I think all the follow-ups to that question prove beyond a doubt that just like MVNO's, it's legit. Except it's NOT an MVNO, because other than for billing, my portal is TM, my phone says TM, and the party being billed says HM on the TM My Account page.

I really doubt that TM would ever decide "they've had enough." There are contracts in place, not whims. And TM has put that barrier up of "no postpaid TM customers." That keeps a lot of people out unless they want to switch to prepaid for a month (what I did) and lose certain program advantages, or pay $20 and port through Google Voice.

Absolute worst case scenario I can see is that HM folds and goes out of business. What would TM do? Throw me out to join another carrier? Of course not, they want my business. They could choose to grandfather me in (most likely) with whatever I have with HM, or (worst case), let me choose a TM program to convert to.

A not very big risk.

Feedback Score
    ^ If HM gets too big, TM could force them to "validate" their users (need business tax ID/etc...)

so the only thing you could lose is your phone number

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    ^ If HM gets too big, TM could force them to "validate" their users (need business tax ID/etc...)

so the only thing you could lose is your phone number
    Oh, please. This is EXACTLY how the rumor I just addressed got started. "Get too big?" You mean bring us (TM) more customers? Oh, the horror! Isn't that why TM is in business?

You can count on the fact that TM knew to start with that there would be some "leakage" of TM customers to HF. But that holds true for TM MVNO's and MetroPCS. Better "there" than with Verizon, ya know?

That's why they put the barrier of no postpaid TM porting in place. Anyone is in business today if they say they are. No IRS # needed to sell on eBay or at a swap meet. I grew up in the era of strict business licensing, it's a whole new (and better) ballgame. If you don't pay employees and need to withhold their taxes, and you aren't making a large amount of money, just put your income on your 1040.

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    Besides the tablet plan perhaps their plans don't seem that much better, what am I missing?
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by money69 View Post
    Besides the tablet plan perhaps their plans don't seem that much better, what am I missing?
    Than what? There's nothing close to this value on any TMO subsidiary/reseller/MVNO after you factor in everything. Especially a year of 2.5gb data for $33 including taxes.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    Than what? There's nothing close to this value on any TMO subsidiary/reseller/MVNO after you factor in everything. Especially a year of 2.5gb data for $33 including taxes.
    It really only saves money for those with a 1 or 2 line account. 3 line or higher accounts are more expensive with HM. Also there is no international voice. The free international data and text is included though. There is no access to my.t-mobile.com and associated support. While it may be useful for some users, it's not necessarily a no-brainer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmplus View Post
    It really only saves money for those with a 1 or 2 line account. 3 line or higher accounts are more expensive with HM. Also there is no international voice. The free international data and text is included though. There is no access to my.t-mobile.com and associated support. While it may be useful for some users, it's not necessarily a no-brainer.
    Believe it or not, there are millions of single line accounts out there. Nor did your posting give your parameters of why it isn't such a good deal, ya know? You can get international voice for an additional $10/mo, just like TM. Is it free with any carrier? I already pointed out that the phone My Account app works fine except for billing and that you can set up your account on TM.

I mean, one can compare plans ad nauseum, even if one isn't going to use the features offered. MetroPCS is a great value.....but, wait!..........one has to pay an additional $5/mo for tethering. Oh, the horrors! But then, OTOH, you don't pay taxes in addition.

For many, it's a no brainer. Do the research, does it fit your needs, buy it, don't agonize over it.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    Believe it or not, there are millions of single line accounts out there. Nor did your posting give your parameters of why it isn't such a good deal, ya know? You can get international voice for an additional $10/mo, just like TM. Is it free with any carrier? I already pointed out that the phone My Account app works fine except for billing and that you can set up your account on TM.

I mean, one can compare plans ad nauseum, even if one isn't going to use the features offered. MetroPCS is a great value.....but, wait!..........one has to pay an additional $5/mo for tethering. Oh, the horrors! But then, OTOH, you don't pay taxes in addition.

For many, it's a no brainer. Do the research, does it fit your needs, buy it, don't agonize over it.
    You misunderstood, there is no international voice roaming.... period. Even if you wanted to pay you cant. So if you go to Canada or Mexico and want to make or receive any phone calls, even for a fee, it's a no go. Again this is not necessarily a deal breaker, just something to remember when you are researching the best plan for your needs.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You are really defensive here, it sure sounds like you are either a part of HM or benefiting some way.

I'll stick with my $30 5GB pre-paid plan through T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    If I need more minutes or want unlimited data I will give HM a try over Metro or postpaid TM. For now the $30 plan + voip and a little balance to cover calls when data is not available works for me.

Feedback Score
    How about you stick to the forum designed for this "discussion"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    How about you stick to the forum designed for this "discussion"?
    You are speaking to who? Me? Oh, there's only one thread where things can be discussed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmplus View Post
    You misunderstood, there is no international voice roaming.... period. Even if you wanted to pay you cant. So if you go to Canada or Mexico and want to make or receive any phone calls, even for a fee, it's a no go. Again this is not necessarily a deal breaker, just something to remember when you are researching the best plan for your needs.
    From their web page. Is it possible we are thinking two different things?

"Additional Add-On Features

International Calling - $10.00

Add International calling to your plan with Unlimited calling to landlines and mobiles:
    * Unlimited mobile-to-landline calling to 70+ countries
    * Unlimited mobile-to-mobile to 30+ countries
    * 1,000 mobile-to-mobile minutes/mo. to Mexico"

And don't forget, with Wifi Calling, you can be enjoying your espresso in Rome - or any other city in the world - on the cafe's wifi, and you can call the US for free.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast