Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Mobile, T-Mobile reseller. Consider it.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    This morning just before 4 AM, I couldn't connect to Harbor's data/tablet plan with my desktop computer. For about 20 solid minutes the connection was down. It had been working fine when I was using it between about 3:30 AM and 3:55 AM; then just before 4 AM it went down for a solid 20 minutes. This is the first time that such a long downtime has happened (that I've noticed anyway). Everything's working fine again, but during the 20-minute downtime on Harbor's data/tablet plan, I was able to use my Moto X's cellular data connection on Ultra Mobile without a problem. Ultra is another T-Mobile mvno. Why would Ultra data work while Harbor data didn't? They're both on T-Mobile.

======

Edit:

I should state that the unlocked AT&T 313u usb modem always connects to fast 4G HSPA+ on Harbor (up to 13 Mbps), and the Moto X phone always connects to fast 4G LTE on Ultra (up to 20 or 23 Mbps), but that may be related to each devices' antennas.
    Last edited by roncomatic; 04-10-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    OP here. Some comments on these current issues.

1. It appears that there are no issues about HM and voice or text. Hey, it's TM.

2. Data speeds, ditto.

3. Billing. A disaster. Can't synch with anything, can't go on TM website. Right after I set up with HM, I set up my page on TM. No problems for "awhile." Now when I try to log on, I get a message to call a phone number "to protect my security," or something. From My T-mobile on my phone, I can only access talk and text usage, which since they are unlimited, worthless. And there are all these stories here of owing thousands of dollars, and behind payments. I will say that even with those "WTF's!" my service just keeps clicking along.

Conclusion: I would recommend HM to someone like myself, a very low data user. I wouldn't if data was important to them, too many things to sort out, especially if technically challenged. Sorry, HM.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    Conclusion: I would recommend HM to someone like myself, a very low data user. I wouldn't if data was important to them, too many things to sort out, especially if technically challenged. Sorry, HM.
    I recommend Harbor's data to everyone since the tablet/data plan's 5 gigs for $18 after tax/fees amounts to only $3.60 per gigabyte. That's an exceptional price.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    On my Silver plan, everything did reset on April 10, with a new cycle start date of May 10. Seems like I used about 4.6GB data for the month. I also have a mobile hotspot plan for $18 for 5GB of Data. Seems like I used about 1.4GB of Data in 7 days. I'm not doing much, if any streaming. Well, I do sometimes watch NHL highlights, which involves streaming. Seems like I may be using around 9.5- 10GB a month of data. I'll know for sure after my mobile hotspot cycle ends on the 27th of the month. Problem is I can't always access my mobile hotspot data usage on my T-Mobile account manager.

It sure looks like come January 2015, I will need two mobile hotspot data plans to suffice. HM says just get another micro sim and use the same hotspot if I like.

Two HM mobile hotspot plans plus Ptel unlimited talk will cost me $56 a month. Not bad.

Only real value to HM is $18 mobile Hotspot plan. Silver plan is good with 10GB data stash, but once that goes, it is no great shakes.

$50 unlimited plan is a farce with only 3GB Hotspot data. $40 plan is better because there is more hotspot data.

I have told Time Warner Cable Internet to go to you know where.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    I made the move away from Cable/Fios monopolies and am very satisfied. Speeds are good. Printing is fine.

HM/TM is my ISP.

I will eventually be carrying my ZTE 915 Mobile Hotspot around with me at all times. I highly recommend it. Fast and simple to operate.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I made the move away from Cable/Fios monopolies and am very satisfied. Speeds are good. Printing is fine.

HM/TM is my ISP.
    Yep, sometimes I use less than 2 gigs of data a month, so Harbor's plan is ideal for me too, but I'm worried that now that I have a Roku as of yesterday, I may be tempted to open a cable broadband internet account again. We'll see how it goes. I think I will do as you've done and get a second Harbor data sim for another 5 gigs rather than go back to cable broadband. Cable TV already costs me an absurd $114 a month. I'm not giving those pluckers anymore money, Roku or not. The cable oligopoly keeps raising prices when everybody else is lowering prices. They have even regularly raised the price for a secondary box from $4/month four years ago to $9 or $10/month today. They more than doubled the price for a secondary box in 4 years. That's close to a 20 percent rate of inflation yearly, much higher than the U.S. economy's approximate 2 percent rate of inflation over the past 4 years. You'd think they'd at least control the price of their own equipment, but nope.
    Last edited by roncomatic; 04-10-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    Yep, sometimes I use less than 2 gigs of data a month, so Harbor's plan is ideal for me too, but I'm worried that now that I have a Roku as of yesterday, I may be tempted to open a cable broadband internet account again. We'll see how it goes. I think I will do as you've done and get a second Harbor data sim for another 5 gigs rather than go back to cable broadband. Cable TV already costs me an absurd $113 a month. I'm not giving those pluckers anymore money, Roku or not. Cable keeps raising prices when everybody else is lowering prices.
    I have the original Roku. When I had cable, I use to use Netflix, NHL Game Center, MLB. Sometimes, believe it or not, Time Warner Cable Internet wasn't fast enough to support Netflix without buffering issues. And I had standard cable internet, supposedly 25 Mbps downloads. I haven't tried it with my mobile hotspot plan yet. I do have 10GB data stash so maybe I'll give it a shot and watch a movie.

I am going to move one of my numbers to Ring.to in about a week.

As far as the issues you had late at night with data, I find in certain parts of my house from 2am-4:30am in the morning, I only get 4g. Then when the sun comes up, I get 4g Lte all over my house. Maybe maintenance is taking place?

Device(s)
    BM iPhone 5S (Carrier Unlocked), Samsung Galaxy Prevail
    Carrier(s)
    netTTALK, Harbor Mobile (T), Boost Mobile, at&t, Cingular, T-Mobile, Voicestream, Sprint, Omnipoint
    Feedback Score
    To make things more confusing with Harbor Mobile / T-Mobile. On Thursday I received the following system text message on my HM line from sender 459: Save 50% on 2 lines of a family plan with Business Family Discounts, your T-Mobile business line helps you save: http://m.t-mo.co/c5P1g

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by magicski View Post
    To make things more confusing with Harbor Mobile / T-Mobile. On Thursday I received the following system text message on my HM line from sender 459: Save 50% on 2 lines of a family plan with Business Family Discounts, your T-Mobile business line helps you save: http://m.t-mo.co/c5P1g
    I have received the same message, as well as other similar messages since signing up with Harbor Mobile.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    I have been getting messages like that too. No big deal. That should be the least of my worries. After all, since HM is an authorized TM reseller, TM has a right to pimp it's services to HM customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    I recommend Harbor's data to everyone since the tablet/data plan's 5 gigs for $18 after tax/fees amounts to only $3.60 per gigabyte. That's an exceptional price.
    Honest to Pete, Ronco. Did I say I wouldn't advise HM data because it was a lousy deal? No, I said I wouldn't because of all these weird billing date/data restart date issues. Sometimes a great value isn't worth the headaches that may accompany the value. Sheesh.

Feedback Score

HM/TM is my ISP.

I will eventually be carrying my ZTE 915 Mobile Hotspot around with me at all times. I highly recommend it. Fast and simple to operate.
    Interesting. Because I've just started the process of having my faith meeting cancel FIOS. I just became aware that they are spending $150/mo with Verizon for phone, FIOS, and router rental! If it gets used more than a few minutes a week, mostly for email, I'd be surprised. So I went online, used the address, and could not find DSL. Went on chat, got inundated with cut and paste boiler plate how wonderful life is with FIOS, could not direct me to a DSL page, then finally says it's not available in my area! In other words, where FIOS is available, they no longer give you DSL option. Bleeping anuses! The cheapest FIOS is like $75/mo for two years, plus router rental. And then will NOT tell you how much the rate is after two years!

This is a good example of why providers need to be treated as utiliites. Broadband is no longer a luxury, it is a necessity if modern life.

It's hard to believe that ComCrap is now the lower cost provider in FIOS land here! Slower, sure, but so what? All the speed I've ever needed.

Anyway, where all this rambling is going is that we are looking into TM $40/mo data plan with rollover and free 10GB to start with. Take that, Verizon!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sure collega, it could have been maintenance.

Good for you Pzo for convincing your group to save $110 a month, or $1,320 a year. Well done.

Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    So I noticed another interesting data session in the Excel sheet that I didn't notice before. There's 2 sessions, 1 second apart, where the claimed usage on one is 34MB and the other is 37MB. Since the highest speed I've ever gotten was 22Mbps, I'm thinking it's not quite possible to use 34MB in one second. I sent this and a couple other questionable sessions (the 7-8MB in 34 seconds on a throttled 128Kbps connection) to the new CSR.
    Date --- Time --- MB Usage
    2015-03-31 21:20:35 33.995
    2015-03-31 21:20:36 37.712
    Speaking of that new CSR, he basically threw the previous CSR under the bus. His words were that "Not all of our reps are well versed in the legalese found in our terms" (no joke). He still didn't say where in the terms this "data date vs. billing date" was located and I'm quite honestly getting ticked off at this point that they keep ignoring that question.

And I damn near died laughing at this line of their email:
    if you feel that you were misled, albeit the terms being clear,
    The terms are clear but I keep asking them to show me in the terms where this is spelled out and they keep side-stepping... Yeah, they're clear alright. Clear as mud.

Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    Honest to Pete, Ronco. Did I say I wouldn't advise HM data because it was a lousy deal? No, I said I wouldn't because of all these weird billing date/data restart date issues. Sometimes a great value isn't worth the headaches that may accompany the value. Sheesh.
    Yeah, the 5GB data plan is a great deal, but there's way too many questions about it. I was hoping that a family friend could move off their 384Kbps DSL (not a typo) to this plan for internet, because they also try to run a home repair business too. But they aren't the most tech savvy person and this type of crap would be a headache I'd never hear the end of if I recommended it.

This kind of reminds me of when Straight Talk started. Lots of questions regarding usage limits, lots of shady things (throttled for 100MB usage in a day, etc) that the tech-savvy people might now about but that the average person wouldn't. Maybe I'm over-reacting a bit there but that comparison has stuck with me for a while.

Feedback Score
    On my Silver plan, everything did reset on April 10, with a new cycle start date of May 10. Seems like I used about 4.6GB data for the month. I also have a mobile hotspot plan for $18 for 5GB of Data. Seems like I used about 1.4GB of Data in 7 days. I'm not doing much, if any streaming. Well, I do sometimes watch NHL highlights, which involves streaming. Seems like I may be using around 9.5- 10GB a month of data. I'll know for sure after my mobile hotspot cycle ends on the 27th of the month. Problem is I can't always access my mobile hotspot data usage on my T-Mobile account manager.

It sure looks like come January 2015, I will need two mobile hotspot data plans to suffice. HM says just get another micro sim and use the same hotspot if I like.

Two HM mobile hotspot plans plus Ptel unlimited talk will cost me $56 a month. Not bad.

Only real value to HM is $18 mobile Hotspot plan. Silver plan is good with 10GB data stash, but once that goes, it is no great shakes.

$50 unlimited plan is a farce with only 3GB Hotspot data. $40 plan is better because there is more hotspot data.

I have told Time Warner Cable Internet to go to you know where.
    Why would the unlimited plan be a farce? Why not just tether the unlimited data?

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast