Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Mobile, T-Mobile reseller. Consider it.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Unlimited data for $50 (with HM) only includes 3 GB Mobile Hotspot or USB tethering. One could use PDANET +, but I found that to be considerably slower than the ZTE 915 or the native hotspot on my ZTE ZMAX. I am getting 30 Mbps download speeds on the ZTE 915 (mobile hotspot) and about 20 Mbps download speeds on ZTE ZMAX hotspot. PDANET + was only giving me download speeds of about 6 Mbps. Don't know why. That was just the result of my testing. Also, I found signal strength of PDANET + (with FOXFI) to be weak.
    I am in the process of going all data with HM. I bought second mobile hotspot, ZTE 915, one to carry all times outside of house and one for my house ( Internet connection) with 3 five GB data plans per month for $54. By next week, all my business phone numbers will be with Ring.to or GV. I am very satisfied with Voice data connection in my home and throughout 95% of my travels in NYC area. If I run into unexpected problems on voice data side, I will buy truphone sim for free incoming calls. If I run into unexpected data problems with HM calculating my data usage, I will go with T-Mobile Mobile Data plans and pay a little more ($70 for 11GB per month data). But one thing is for sure: I have made move away from TWC and will do everything in my power to keep it that way as long as it pays.

Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aenews View Post
    Why would the unlimited plan be a farce? Why not just tether the unlimited data?
    I think he's talking about how the unlimited plan only includes 3GB of hotspot/tether data, whereas there's more than that on the $40 (cheaper) plan.

I think too that after the limit, hotspot data is either throttled or completely cutoff. You might be able to get around it (rooting/etc) but I'm not sure. That might be a concern too.

I do know that the $50 unlimited plan with Harbor used to have 5GB hotspot data. Why it dropped to 3GB no one seems to know. I honestly wonder if they don't actually have 5GB of hotspot data, since I believe that's what T-Mobile's official "unlimited" data plans limit hotspot usage to on just about every "unlimited" plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    Unlimited data for $50 (with HM) only includes 3 GB Mobile Hotspot or USB tethering. One could use PDANET +, but I found that to be considerably slower than the ZTE 915 or the native hotspot on my ZTE ZMAX. I am getting 30 Mbps download speeds on the ZTE 915 (mobile hotspot) and about 20 Mbps download speeds on ZTE ZMAX hotspot. PDANET + was only giving me download speeds of about 6 Mbps. Don't know why. That was just the result of my testing. Also, I found signal strength of PDANET + (with FOXFI) to be weak.
    I am in the process of going all data with HM. I bought second mobile hotspot, ZTE 915, one to carry all times outside of house and one for my house ( Internet connection) with 3 five GB data plans per month for $54. By next week, all my business phone numbers will be with Ring.to or GV. I am very satisfied with Voice data connection in my home and throughout 95% of my travels in NYC area. If I run into unexpected problems on voice data side, I will buy truphone sim for free incoming calls. If I run into unexpected data problems with HM calculating my data usage, I will go with T-Mobile Mobile Data plans and pay a little more ($70 for 11GB per month data). But one thing is for sure: I have made move away from TWC and will do everything in my power to keep it that way as long as it pays.
    Sounds like a sweet plan. No doubt a dedicated hotspot provides a stronger signal than a phone, but I meant that the unlimited plan wouldn't be a farce since you can always tether the unlimited data (shouldn't be different than regular hotspot). Besides FoxFi there's also WiFi Tether Trev E Mod and the WiFi Router app. Is tethering with FoxFi actually slower? With most custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, WiFi Tether is built into settings (I can enable it in the notification bar like WiFi or Airplane Mode), so I've not needed to use a separate app for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Altanis View Post
    I think he's talking about how the unlimited plan only includes 3GB of hotspot/tether data, whereas there's more than that on the $40 (cheaper) plan.

I think too that after the limit, hotspot data is either throttled or completely cutoff. You might be able to get around it (rooting/etc) but I'm not sure. That might be a concern too.

I do know that the $50 unlimited plan with Harbor used to have 5GB hotspot data. Why it dropped to 3GB no one seems to know. I honestly wonder if they don't actually have 5GB of hotspot data, since I believe that's what T-Mobile's official "unlimited" data plans limit hotspot usage to on just about every "unlimited" plan.
    True most apps require root besides FoxFi.

Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    So just a follow-up to previous posts on the subject.

While Harbor seemed genuinely interested in solving my particular issues for a little while, they've gone completely silent for over 2 weeks now. I would say I am surprised but honestly I'm really not. The "data restart" date for my month was about a week ago and my Harbor account is set for permanent closure in about a week, per their rules. Will be interesting to see what happens, I suppose.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    After porting out and giving them my honest feedback about Harbor Mobile, they reply with this:

"Jeff,
    Please understand that we are resellers of T Mobile service. All phone numbers and accounts are in the Harbor Mobile name and listed with T Mobile as being a Harbor Mobile account. The access to the T Mobile website was blocked due to the confusion with billing information. The info that you were viewing was actually Harbor Mobile's billing info. I can assure you that you have no outstanding balance due, as you are a prepaid customer, and were in no jeopardy of having your services interrupted. As of yet, there has been no way for us to allow our customers access to only their account. We are working on it. The temporary solution that we have come up with was to block it completely until we are able to individualize the phone numbers on our accounts onto separate My T Mobile accounts, allowing our customers to only view information that is pertinent to their account, such as usage. As a reseller of the T Mobile service, we are responsible for billing you, the customer, for your usage. We, in turn, are responsible for any financial dealings with T Mobile. Any billing inquiries should be directed to Harbor Mobile and not T Mobile. I apologize for any confusion.
    As far as the coverage is concerned, I will forward your feedback to our management. We appreciate your constructive criticism. Feel free to reach out with any further questions or comments that you may have. Remember us in your travels! Be well!

Thank you for choosing Harbor Mobile and have a good day."

I commented about the huge outstanding balance that I saw on MyT-Mobile and noted that I lost access to the account. I couldn't see any other phone number or information except for mine. Only thing I could see that had anything to do with Harbor was their billing address and the account balance. I was concerned with the balance being 2 months overdue, so I brought it up to them and assured me that my service would not be suspended due to that overdue balance.
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4 XL, iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So would you recommend me doing the data only plan on a hotspot? If I could I would take the data only plan plus a unlimited talk/text plan for my primary smartphone.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 200 Meg Per Second Internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: Verizon Prepaid as my Primary, Sprint as my secondary.

Feedback Score
    @freakonomics101: I'd say that Jeff and HM really put a lot of effort into explaining the situation to you. Definitely not your "Pick pre-made answer" from a list. (Boy, did I get slammed with that from Verizon chat recently.)

Yes, there are some things I don't like about HM, you and Jeff have touched on a number of them. But for $33/mo and being a low usage phone guy, I can live with them.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    Yes, there are some things I don't like about HM, you and Jeff have touched on a number of them. But for $33/mo and being a low usage phone guy, I can live with them.
    I agree, it's hard to beat. Being without home internet for 10 days I just discovered how tough it actually is to consume 2.5GB of data tethering when surfing the net, doing email, etc with little streaming.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    @freakonomics101: I'd say that Jeff and HM really put a lot of effort into explaining the situation to you. Definitely not your "Pick pre-made answer" from a list. (Boy, did I get slammed with that from Verizon chat recently.)

Lol I'm Jeff. Not sure if you were confused whether the agent name was Jeff or not. David is who sent me that reply.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    So would you recommend me doing the data only plan on a hotspot? If I could I would take the data only plan plus a unlimited talk/text plan for my primary smartphone.
    You can get unlimited talk, text and data on your smartphone for $53. I had that plan and was disappointed with the 3GB Mobile Hotspot (tethering) so I eventually went all data and bought 3 mobile hotspot data plans for $54. I use the ZTE 915 Mobile Hotspot. I seem to go through data pretty fast. But mind you, I am using this on my Chromebook, 2 PCs, 3 smartphones and printer. All Updates are downloaded via my Hotspot. I am running a business on 15 GB a month, along with using the data for recreational purposes. Reception is crystal clear from my home and web surfing is fast. When I am traveling outside my home in the NYC area, reception is good. If I run into a dead spot, the person leaves a message and I get back to them shortly. But that is the exception, rather than the rule.

I find spending $54 for 15 GB of data to be a better value than the unlimited everything (except for 3 GB Hotspot) for $53 because I have dropped Time Warner Cable as my Internet Service Provider.

At one point, I was considering TruPhone. But when I heard that Truphone was making AT&T the default carrier that became a deal breaker as AT&T is a nightmare in my home with dropped calls left and right. Go figure, T-Mobile and then Sprint work best in my home and area. T-Mobile is especially very strong in the NYC area.

As for HM, they are a very small operation that means well. And they do try to do the right thing. I think HM is here to stay.

I have ported my numbers to RingTo and GV to protect myself if things do unravel, which I severely doubt they will. But no one knows for sure either way as HM is a young company.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    After porting out and giving them my honest feedback about Harbor Mobile, they reply with this:
    Freakonomics101, that was a classy reply by Harbor Mobile. Thanks for sharing.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    I find spending $54 for 15 GB of data to be a better value than the unlimited everything (except for 3 GB Hotspot) for $53 because I have dropped Time Warner Cable as my Internet Service Provider.
    I dropped my cable company's internet service 5 years ago, and am very happy I did. However, last week I signed up for internet service through AT&T U-verse because I need more than the 10 gigs on FreedomPop and my 5 gigs on Harbor for the Roku 2 tv streamer I got earlier this month. However, I'm keeping Harbor Mobile's fantastic 5 gig data/tablet plan. It's great for mobile needs. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep FreedomPop, but they've been great too, except for the long wait to receive email support.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quick question:
    I signed up for service about 2 weeks ago and was just in Canada for 2 days but I couldn't get any service (emergency only). Is there something I have to do to get this working?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Just the opposite here - signed up with the devil reincarnate Comcast and their $20/mth, 3 Mpbs promotional plan for new customers. Fortunately streaming isn't a big thing for me and while the speed isn't anything to write home about it does the heavy download lifting when needed, including almost 2 Gb of Win 7 updates just today across 3 pc's that haven't been updated in 4 months due to a prolonged absence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    Quick question:
    I signed up for service about 2 weeks ago and was just in Canada for 2 days but I couldn't get any service (emergency only). Is there something I have to do to get this working?
    Attachment 124978

Source: https://www.harbormobile.com/faq/

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast