Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Mobile, T-Mobile reseller. Consider it.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    Just the opposite here - signed up with the devil reincarnate Comcast and their $20/mth, 3 Mpbs promotional plan for new customers. Fortunately streaming isn't a big thing for me and while the speed isn't anything to write home about it does the heavy download lifting when needed, including almost 2 Gb of Win 7 updates just today across 3 pc's that haven't been updated in 4 months due to a prolonged absence.
    I'm getting download speeds of 30 Mbps on my Angelic Mobile Hotspot (Z915) in my home and double those speeds in other areas in NYC. Sounds like the "Devil" has gotten the best of you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Lol I'm Jeff. Not sure if you were confused whether the agent name was Jeff or not. David is who sent me that reply.
    Ha! Yes, perpetually corn-fused. David (Duh-veed) in proper Jewish talk, best as I recall, has been with HM from the start. Maybe the GM. Maybe the owner.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I'm getting download speeds of 30 Mbps on my Angelic Mobile Hotspot (Z915) in my home and double those speeds in other areas in NYC. Sounds like the "Devil" has gotten the best of you.
    Shut up already! Despite TM's map showing "Very Good" to "Excellent" coverage at my house and in most of NW Sarasota, I consider myself fortunate to not only see 4G or LTE showing on my phone(s), but TO ACTUALLY HAVE A DATA CONNECTION! I can show LTE and yet am unable to get a ping time under several seconds, let alone download data, in most locations. I know where the towers are and the one I'm closest to is worthless once a half mile away from it.

I will say I don't understand all this peeing in the pants over these ultra fast connections. Anything over 4mb/sec is pretty much wasted under most needs/circumstance. People brag about the data speeds (not saying YOU are) as if they are somehow personally responsible for attaining them. Weird.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Believe me I fought it, it's 2015 after all and I never used them prior, but when you can get almost unlimited data for under $25 a month it makes a lot of sense.

I suspect you would gladly accept 1/3 of your present speed for 3x the data allotment.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    Shut up already! Despite TM's map showing "Very Good" to "Excellent" coverage at my house and in most of NW Sarasota, I consider myself fortunate to not only see 4G or LTE showing on my phone(s), but TO ACTUALLY HAVE A DATA CONNECTION! I can show LTE and yet am unable to get a ping time under several seconds, let alone download data, in most locations. I know where the towers are and the one I'm closest to is worthless once a half mile away from it.

I will say I don't understand all this peeing in the pants over these ultra fast connections. Anything over 4mb/sec is pretty much wasted under most needs/circumstance. People brag about the data speeds (not saying YOU are) as if they are somehow personally responsible for attaining them. Weird.
    I admit these speeds are wasted on smartphones. But I am using these speeds on my Chromebook, PCs and printers and it is NOT wasted there. Moreover, these speeds also benefit me as I only use Voice over Data.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Believe me I fought it, it's 2015 after all and I never used them prior, but when you can get almost unlimited data for under $25 a month it makes a lot of sense.

I suspect you would gladly accept 1/3 of your present speed for 3x the data allotment.
    The answer to your question is NO. I bought PDANet+ (with FoxFi) (before I bought the ZTE 915) and was only getting download speeds of 5-6 Mbps and was not satisfied with it. Web surfing on my chromebook and PCs were slow and unacceptable. I was getting 25 Mbps download speeds and 5 Mbps upload speeds with Time Warner Cable for close to $70 a month before I worked out a double play deal for $93 a month (with best TV package) for a year. I returned my Internet box to the Time Warner Store a few weeks ago (after about 8 months) and when they asked why I pulled out my ZTE 915 Mobile Hotspot and told them it was cheaper and performed better.

We went without Time Warner Cable TV for 12 years until recently. I admit there have been no outages so far this time around. But we got it primarily ro watch hockey (NHL). We are going to ditch that too and then perhaps resubscribe in 6 months for the NHL season with new subscriber prices.

Feedback Score
    Is there any other place to buy a new Z915 hotspot besides directly from T-Mobile?
    $110 is kinda steep...

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdenton61 View Post
    Is there any other place to buy a new Z915 hotspot besides directly from T-Mobile?
    $110 is kinda steep...
    Not that I know of. I actually bought 2, one as a spare and switch sim cards as needed. I view it as a phone purchase. I bought mine at the T-Mobile corporate store. If you don't have a T-Mobile account, they won't even sell you one. Fortunately, I have a monthly $3 prepaid account with T-Mobile The ZTE 915s have been selling like hotcakes. The last CSR didn't even want to sell me one unless I signed up for a data plan. But I got one anyway and on one of them it says I qualify for free 200 MB a month for the life of the device.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    The answer to your question is NO. I bought PDANet+ (with FoxFi) (before I bought the ZTE 915) and was only getting download speeds of 5-6 Mbps and was not satisfied with it. Web surfing on my chromebook and PCs were slow and unacceptable. I was getting 25 Mbps download speeds and 5 Mbps upload speeds with Time Warner Cable for close to $70 a month before I worked out a double play deal for $93 a month (with best TV package) for a year. I returned my Internet box to the Time Warner Store a few weeks ago (after about 8 months) and when they asked why I pulled out my ZTE 915 Mobile Hotspot and told them it was cheaper and performed better.
    Your were boasting, and I quote: 'I'm getting download speeds of 30 Mbps on my Angelic Mobile Hotspot (Z915) in my home and double those speeds in other areas in NYC.' 1/3 of those speeds is 10 - 20 Mbps. Now you complain about 5 - 6 Mbps, so which is? 10 - 20 isn't good enough or is it 5 - 6?

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    I wasn't boasting. Just telling it like it is. There are people in NYC who get 100-120 Mbps on the T-Mobile network. When I used PDANet+ , I only got 5-6mbps download speeds on my Chromebook. I found that to be garbage. That's partly why I moved on and bought the ZTE 915 where I get 30 Mbps download speeds. My point being if I found 5-6 Mbps download speeds garbage, I certainly would have found your data speeds on Comcast to be unacceptable at any cost. Actually, I wouldn't take 2-3 Mbps download speeds if it was offered free of charge. But to each its own, I suppose. Or, different strokes for different folks.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    I wasn't boasting. Just telling it like it is. There are people in NYC who get 100-120 Mbps on the T-Mobile network. When I used PDANet+ , I only got 5-6mbps download speeds on my Chromebook. I found that to be garbage. That's partly why I moved on and bought the ZTE 915 where I get 30 Mbps download speeds. My point being if I found 5-6 Mbps download speeds garbage, I certainly would have found your data speeds on Comcast to be unacceptable at any cost. Actually, I wouldn't take 2-3 Mbps download speeds if it was offered free of charge. But to each its own, I suppose. Or, different strokes for different folks.
    Psh I would! Lol. My AT&T Uverse internet speed is 6 Mbps and I pay $35 a month for that. 2-3 is good enough for Netflix, so free is awesome for that.
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Psh I would! Lol. My AT&T Uverse internet speed is 6 Mbps and I pay $35 a month for that. 2-3 is good enough for Netflix, so free is awesome for that.
    There is nothing to boast about when I haven't done anything to bring about the good speeds. When I was on Sprint Prepaid last year using my LG Volt (a crappy phone) I was averaging about 15 Mbps download speeds in my home with one consistent bar of fair Spark coverage and 3 Mbps uploads. Although I liked Sprint in a way, Sprint never provided me with the opportunity (practically speaking) to ditch my cable internet connection. When I tried out AT&T GoPhone on my Nexus 5, I never got more than 5 Mbps download speeds and plenty of dropped calls. Gophone was the worst for me. I never tried Verizon because I never liked their stuck up attitude.

I'm under no illusions being with Harbor Mobile. It is good now, but who knows what will take place in the future. I am planning an exit strategy if (and when) things break down in Harbor Mobile land. But I will let the good times roll as long as possible, especially at their data rates.

Feedback Score
    You guys slay me. Other than downloading giant files, of which there aren't many, there is seldom an advantage with speeds faster than, say, 4mb/sec. No, pages don't load instantaneously, but in a second or two. What's wrong with that? (I'm talking singe user, typical use, not HD Netflix while downloading the entire NY Times scanned editions, etc.)

You shoulda been around when 300 baud was cutting edge. Watching each letter appear on the screen. I find "shifting goal posts" a puzzling and frustrating part of human psychology. Can you remember when DSL came along? Wow! No more dial up speeds! Now, totally dismissed, sniff. There are only two things that have changed: Consumer goal post shifting, and pages burdened with too much high byte levels of content. Of course, the latter came with higher internet speeds! You can't win that race.

Available internet speeds, especially wired ones, have long passed the point of diminishing returns for typical users.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4 XL, iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There is nothing to boast about when I haven't done anything to bring about the good speeds. When I was on Sprint Prepaid last year using my LG Volt (a crappy phone) I was averaging about 15 Mbps download speeds in my home with one consistent bar of fair Spark coverage and 3 Mbps uploads. Although I liked Sprint in a way, Sprint never provided me with the opportunity (practically speaking) to ditch my cable internet connection. When I tried out AT&T GoPhone on my Nexus 5, I never got more than 5 Mbps download speeds and plenty of dropped calls. Gophone was the worst for me. I never tried Verizon because I never liked their stuck up attitude.

I'm under no illusions being with Harbor Mobile. It is good now, but who knows what will take place in the future. I am planning an exit strategy if (and when) things break down in Harbor Mobile land. But I will let the good times roll as long as possible, especially at their data rates.
    As they say, all good things come to an end. Not that I am expecting them to come to an end. I actually switched to Verizon from Cricket Cause of the crap ping and since AT&T is starting to suffer with 1 LTE band for the entire state of Oregon. Verizon in my area has XLTE which my Droid Maxx at 2PM picked up 50 down/10 up which makes Verizon the fastest carrier in my neighborhood. Voice quality Sucks though and I miss T-Mobiles Voice quality so I might jump to harbor after the 1 month at Verizon. Verizon though did just up the data plans on Prepaid with Auto Pay to higher caps than the baseline postpaid "More Everything".
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 200 Meg Per Second Internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: Verizon Prepaid as my Primary, Sprint as my secondary.

Device(s)
    Pixel, Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart
    Feedback Score
    Your were boasting, and I quote: 'I'm getting download speeds of 30 Mbps on my Angelic Mobile Hotspot (Z915) in my home and double those speeds in other areas in NYC.' 1/3 of those speeds is 10 - 20 Mbps. Now you complain about 5 - 6 Mbps, so which is? 10 - 20 isn't good enough or is it 5 - 6?
    I remember being in a hotel in Phili (Aloft at Phili airport) a few years ago and I was on their wireless B, which was supposedly giving me 11Mbps and I had problems streaming my MLB app. I have no problem streaming now at 30 Mbps download speeds, though I don't do much of that anymore.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast