Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 300

Thread: Harbor Mobile, T-Mobile reseller. Consider it.

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,439
    Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    I dropped my cable company's internet service 5 years ago, and am very happy I did. However, last week I signed up for internet service through AT&T U-verse because I need more than the 10 gigs on FreedomPop and my 5 gigs on Harbor for the Roku 2 tv streamer I got earlier this month. However, I'm keeping Harbor Mobile's fantastic 5 gig data/tablet plan. It's great for mobile needs. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep FreedomPop, but they've been great too, except for the long wait to receive email support.
    Roku has been pimping me big time lately(once a week now), trying to get me to upgrade my original classic Roku player. I used that player for years streaming Netflix movies, watching out of market MLB and NHL games. But I don't have much use for it any longer since we changed our Netflix streaming service to DVD mail service. The only TV watching I have done over the past year has been some local baseball and hockey games and ESPN and NFL Network football games.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,482
    Device(s)
    Motorola i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I remember being in a hotel in Phili (Aloft at Phili airport) a few years ago and I was on their wireless B, which was supposedly giving me 11Mbps and I had problems streaming my MLB app. I have no problem streaming now at 30 Mbps download speeds, though I don't do much of that anymore.
    Dard z v_. A

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,462
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    You guys slay me. Other than downloading giant files, of which there aren't many, there is seldom an advantage with speeds faster than, say, 4mb/sec. No, pages don't load instantaneously, but in a second or two.
    100% agree, and I find it strange that someone who claims to need a fast connection is probably saying so because they're doing data heavy downloads or surfing or high quality voip type stuff which, if ANYTHING, would favor an unlimited type plan, not something capped at under 20 Gb.

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,010
    Device(s)
    BM iPhone 5S (Carrier Unlocked), Samsung Galaxy Prevail
    Carrier(s)
    netTTALK, Harbor Mobile (T), Boost Mobile, at&t, Cingular, T-Mobile, Voicestream, Sprint, Omnipoint
    Feedback Score
    0
    The $30 plan and $40 plan I noticed no longer has the extra 1.5GB's expiring at the end of the year.
    This was kind of expected based on an uncarrier move.

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,439
    Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    100% agree, and I find it strange that someone who claims to need a fast connection is probably saying so because they're doing data heavy downloads or surfing or high quality voip type stuff which, if ANYTHING, would favor an unlimited type plan, not something capped at under 20 Gb.
    It would be too easy to dismiss you as someone who is clueless and doesn't know what he is talking about, but I will take the high road for the moment, given the fact that we both own the ZTE Zmax and LG G2 with Harbor Mobile service.

    Firstly, I am talking from experience here. It has always been my goal to ditch Time Warner Cable Internet and set up my own home internet service. Problem was I was clueless and had no idea how to go about it. Initially, I thought that perhaps the way to go was to buy a phablet, such as the ZTE Zmax, and go with Harbor Mobile's unlimited talk, text, unlimited 4g Lte data for $53 a month. That's what I originally signed up for. I read all the posts on both HM threads on HOFO and decided to take the plunge a few months ago. I also began reading the thread "Is home internet possible", on Hofo during my first month with HM. I did not understand most of the posts initially, but I read them and reread them and asked lots of questions. Three months ago, I didn't even know what a mobile hotspot was. I did a lot of searching on google for mobile hotspot. I came across a guy who explained how to use mobile hotspot on the Zte Zmax. I didn't even know three months ago that the ZTE Zmax was even capable of a mobile hotspot. But I followed the instructions and bingo, I got all my smartphones, PCs, chromebooks and printers to work on the Hotspot. That was quite a revelation for me. Imagine me a 62 year old grandfather, non-techie, a humanistic and existential psychologist (Ph.D.), using my phone as a mobile hotspot. Outside of my kids and grandchildren, no one knew what mobile hotspot was. But I wasn't satisfied there. I had a dream to say good bye to Time Warner Cable Internet and I didn't like the 3 GB hotspot limit from Harbor Mobile. Not only that. The speeds on my Chromebook and PCs were not as fast as I was getting with Time Warner. So, a couple of months ago, I bought HM's 5GB data plan for $18 and the T-Mobile ZTE 915. The reason why I bought the ZTE 915 was because I was only getting about 20 Mbps download speeds on my ZTE Zmax hotspot and my chromebook and PCs were sometimes a bit sluggish. Also, I didn't like the way my ZTE Zmax took its sweet time from transitioning from 4g after a call to 4g LTE. I desperately wanted to ditch my Time Warner Cable Internet, but didn't want to compromise quality. I bought PDANet+ because I was intrigued by the idea of tethering being hidden to my carrier. What I discovered was much slower speeds than my Zmax was giving me and web surfing became slow at all times on my PCs and Chromebooks. On the other hand, I was getting 30 Mbps download speeds on the ZTE 915 and I struck nirvana with no glitches whatsoever. At this point, I new I had the device to get me free of Time Warner Internet. The only question was figuring out how much data I would need. I tested for a full month doing nothing different than I ordinarily do, except for the fact that I switched from Netflix streaming to Netflix mail in DVD service and I found that 15 GB suffices for all my data needs, including voice. As for Voice over Data, I knew nothing about that either, but I read the RingTo thread and ported a couple of my numbers over to RingTo and made the move there too. At this point, I am exclusively Voice over Data on my business lines and am fairly satisfied.

    I have no idea how long this Data Nirvana will last. It can easily break down tomorrow. But I will enjoy it as long as it continues to work.

    All I can say is that I am free of Time Warner Cable Standard Internet and loving it.

    I have no idea where you are located and how consistent 4G Lte speeds are in your home. But as a Renaisance Man, I took the plunge after educating myself from the big time phone freaks on HoFO and I am glad I did. If you can, try it out, it sure beats Comcast.

    Just telling it like it is.

    Ignorance is the foundation of knowledge and insight as one keeps an open mind.
    Last edited by collegea; 05-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,462
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    Just telling it like it is.
    Edit: nevermind, it's not worth the effort replying.
    Last edited by actinic; 05-03-2015 at 06:39 PM.

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, I pull down many GB every few days, think doing home internet via wireless is a fool's errand. Not saying can't be done, but it's just wrong, certainly not for me.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    334
    Feedback Score
    0
    @collegea: I tried to follow that run on paragraph and my head hurt. I couldn't find any thread of thought that related to your first paragraph. Which, in turn, was an abbreviated response to my post upstream about why the fascination with higher and higher data speeds when some RELIABLE 4mb/sec fills most needs.

    I sure understand your desire to be rid of any cable company. I think that in not too many years wireless data will be a huge player, displacing cable and fiber optic just as the latter displaced DSL. I understand that in a number of the more advanced countries - i.e., not the USA - this is already happening.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    334
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Yes, I pull down many GB every few days, think doing home internet via wireless is a fool's errand. Not saying can't be done, but it's just wrong, certainly not for me.
    My brother is on T-Metro, as we call it. He gets a great LTE signal where he lives, so using his Android LG and Foxfi, he gets around the tethered data limit. He found he was using 15-20 GB/mo.

    The ONLY downside was having to hook the phone to the computer every time he got home, and then could use the phone except while in that location.

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,439
    Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    0
    Pzo: Download speeds of 4 Mbps don't cut if you are surfing the web on a Chromebook or PC. That is to say, I find 4 Mbps to be way to slow for basic web surfing on a Chromebook or PC. Hope I didn't hurt your head too much there.

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,439
    Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Yes, I pull down many GB every few days, think doing home internet via wireless is a fool's errand. Not saying can't be done, but it's just wrong, certainly not for me.
    Now you are talking mumbo jumbo. A fools errand is defined as "an attempt to do something that has no chance of success". Yet you are "not saying that it can't be done".

    http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/a+fool%27s+errand

    If I recall correctly, Hans, you are the super detail oriented guy, the man of Facts, Mr. Dictionary. So, get your facts and definitions straight. Now if you want to give me a nonfactual interpretation, that's fine with me, as I am a proponent of that.

    Secondly, don't play your cheap moral games with me and tell me I'm "wrong". What are you basing that on? Some abstract cheap moral sentiment. I've played by the rules and I am not hiding anything from anyone in terms of data usage. I bought my Mobile Hotspot plans from HM upfront and am using them legally in terms of HM's TOS.

    I consider monopolies immoral. And I define my terms too: Morality means treating human beings as ends, not merely as means, or tools for profit. A person has value. Something is moral if it is good for each human being.

    Now I wouldn't want to go so far as to say that what I am doing is moral, since other people have different needs and may choose not to follow suit. But there is absolutely nothing immoral or wrong with what I have done. And don't give me the baloney that I am clogging up space for other fellow surfers.

    Stick to your high techie advice. You are good at that. Don't play high moral priest with me.

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,462
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    @collegea: I tried to follow that run on paragraph and my head hurt. I couldn't find any thread of thought that related to your first paragraph. Which, in turn, was an abbreviated response to my post upstream about why the fascination with higher and higher data speeds when some RELIABLE 4mb/sec fills most needs.
    Hahaha. You have to admit the self-congratulatory essay was amusing however, interrupted by bouts of name calling. Some just don't understand that surfing at 4 Mbs considered as 'too slow' is in all probability a server side shortcoming. You can only download as quickly as the server uploads. Hofo for instance isn't exactly fast at serving. Click on a forum page and try to scroll down immediately. You won't be able to whether you're downloading at 4 or 40.

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    334
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    Hahaha. You have to admit the self-congratulatory essay was amusing however, interrupted by bouts of name calling. Some just don't understand that surfing at 4 Mbs considered as 'too slow' is in all probability a server side shortcoming. You can only download as quickly as the server uploads. Hofo for instance isn't exactly fast at serving. Click on a forum page and try to scroll down immediately. You won't be able to whether you're downloading at 4 or 40.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    For five years I've not paid for internet access. I, uh, borrow my neighbor's signals. I have a 14mb directional antenna and a 2W bidirectional amplifier. Not doing them any harm, and in the old days when I paid for DSL, I left my wifi open as payback. Or, in my case, pay forward.

    Until about six months ago I used a Comcast via D-Link router from across the bayou, about 300 feet. 4mb/sec was normal, sometimes twice that. My speedtest generally at home is nt Ookla or similar, but downloading LibreOffice. They seem to have really solid servers.

    That access point went dark six months ago, so now I use a different neighbor, next door, or the La Quinta hotel maybe 600 feet up the bayou. Both are on 1.5mb/sec Verizon DSL, even the hotel with many customers at night.

    Do I miss the 4mb/sec Comcast? Occasionally. For the most part, not at all. When connections are really crappy, it's due to either Verizon, or as you say, the server I'm connected to. Pretty easy to figure out who the bad boy is.

    I've used Verizon FIOS (fiber optic) @ 25mb/sec. Is it obviously better? Yes. Is it always so? No, not at all. As you say, the weak link is often the upstream server.

    Just give me 2-3mb/sec RELIABLY and it's all the speed I need in 95% of what I'm doing. Even my slow, pirated DSL shows Netflix just fine, never a burp BECAUSE THE NETFLIX SERVERS ARE A1!

    If you guys who kvetch about not getting 20mb/sec would suffer, as I do, no cellular data signal worth even thinking about, like mostly 2G, you might find 4mb/sec wonderful!

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,439
    Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    0
    I could not emphasize more that the slowness of my Internet connection on my Chromebook and PCs went completely away (with PDANET+) after I upgraded to the ZTE 915 mobile hotspot. But why bother to spend $109 for a mobile hotspot and a HM Data Plan for $18 when I could've joined Pzo's "prayer group" and learned how to "borrow" my neighbor's signal for free!

    Praise the Lord, Pzo! -g-

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,439
    Device(s)
    Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint KickStart, AT&T unlimited Data
    Feedback Score
    0
    What I found most interesting in comparing the ZTE 915 Mobile Hotspot with the Hotspot feature on my ZTE Zmax was that after spending a whole day on the internet with the ZTE 915, I only used on average about 350 Megs of data, but when I turned my ZTE Zmax into a mobile hotspot, I was using close to 700 Megs of Data on a daily basis. I found that the ZTE 915 was far more efficient in terms of the data it uses. I have no idea why or how this was happening. I just know it was. That was one reason why I switched to all data using the ZTE 915 as my prime internet connection with HM as my ISP. Quite economical in more ways than one! And in spite of what a few others may say, download speeds of 30 Mbps makes for very snappy and enjoyable web surfing.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 01:53 PM
  2. Mobile - how do you say it?
    By Telekom in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-14-2002, 12:27 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2002, 11:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks