Thread: WTF is an Airtime Pin?????????

Feedback Score

WTF is an Airtime Pin?????????

I'm seriously fed up with this process... I bought a SIM starter kit from Amazon for $0.01, to use in a GPS transponder that requires a SIM card. Basically, it's a GPS tracker that you call via the number associated with the SIM card, and it responds by texting you with the GPS coordinates of where it is.

I got the card in the mail. The instructions say to go to the H20 website to active the card, and give you no other instructions. When I go to the website, I go under Service -> Activation -> New Number. When I go to that page, it asks me for the SIM number, the EIME number, etc. The plan I selected was a "Minute Plan," which is not defined anywhere on the site, so I'm not even sure what that is. All I need is the $10 plan that allows me to send text messages for 90 days at whatever the rate is.

Anyway, I fill out all the info on that page, but at the bottom it asks for an "Airtime Pin." I don't have a pin. WTF am I supposed to do???? How does this company even stay in business when they make it so hard for willing customers to actually pay them money

Please help. I'm tired of wasting time with this.

Feedback Score
    Call a H2O CSR.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Haha this is interesting. So apparently here's what's going on with H2O now:

You can't activate a line without a PIN number, because the SIM card itself doesn't have any minutes on it. But you can't buy PIN/minutes on H2O site without attaching it to a line. Chicken and egg situation? Not quite, because if you bought a SIM card from their site, you are prompted to also buy a plan with it, either one of the monthly plans, or a minute/pay-to-go plan (minimum of $10), so technically when you received the SIM card, you also receive a PIN number, which you then use to activate the line.

So now that you bought the SIM card from a third party without also buying a PIN, what can you do?

As zapjb mentioned above, calling H2O will probably solve this. They should be able to sell you a $10 PIN that you can then use to activate.

Having said that, here's a potential alternative solution:
    Go to callingmart.com and buy H2O $10 minute plan refill (not the one with 'load to phone'). When you get the PIN, use the number to complete the form above and activate your SIM card.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but I think it will. If it doesn't, well you'll just be having an extra PIN that you can add to your account for refill later

Feedback Score
    I just went through this. I picked up a Lumia 635 locked to ATT and figured I'll put it on H20 paygo. I had a number to port in but no PIN. Fortunately I saw that I could get a PIN at a local Family Dollar. I think it was the first H20 PIN this lady had ever sold - she had to dig through a box filled with scan cards until she found it (after trying to sell me an "02" PIN first).

This is definitely something H20 should fix - the port in process shouldn't be hindered by the need for a PIN that can't be sold immediately as part of the same process.

On the other hand, I keep thinking "first world problem". I mean it didn't kill me to take a drive to get a $10 PIN either.

Device(s)
    2014 Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samatman View Post
    I just went through this. I picked up a Lumia 635 locked to ATT and figured I'll put it on H20 paygo. I had a number to port in but no PIN. Fortunately I saw that I could get a PIN at a local Family Dollar. I think it was the first H20 PIN this lady had ever sold - she had to dig through a box filled with scan cards until she found it (after trying to sell me an "02" PIN first).

This is definitely something H20 should fix - the port in process shouldn't be hindered by the need for a PIN that can't be sold immediately as part of the same process.

On the other hand, I keep thinking "first world problem". I mean it didn't kill me to take a drive to get a $10 PIN either.
    For future reference, CallingMart sells H2O pins for both the PAYGO and monthly plans so there's no need to drive to a store. Just make sure to purchase the right one.