Thread: Christmas deals?

Feedback Score

Christmas deals?

I'm shopping for a plan and phone for a relative. She is wanting an iphone free with contract, which probably means 5c.

I suggested we wait until after Christmas to watch for deals. Any word on upcoming xmas/boxing/new years promotions?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/Various tablets
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 Unpublished SMB plans
    Feedback Score
    Likely a replay of what you saw on "Black Friday" will be offered for boxing week.

You still have to deal with the plans and minimum required to qualify for a subsidy. No deals on plans.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Que_Ball View Post
    Likely a replay of what you saw on "Black Friday" will be offered for boxing week.

You still have to deal with the plans and minimum required to qualify for a subsidy. No deals on plans.
    +1 That is what will happen.

Feedback Score
    Get an iPhone 5c directly from Apple for $469 unlocked, and if your relative uses it for 3 years, then it will cost roughly $13 a month. Then get a plan separately, depending on what she wants, and where you live. Public Mobile (runs on Telus' network) has a $40 plan with 1GB of data and unlimited text and talk. If this works, then for $53 a month ($40 + $13) you are set for the next 3 years.

You get my drift. Do the math, and go from there. Signing a contract with the Big 3 might not be the best decision, especially with their abusive prices.

Device(s)
    Motorola, Samsung, Nokia!
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Deciding on the plan/carrier based on gettting any certain brand for free on a contract is as bad idea and a good way to waste your money.

Feedback Score

Christmas deals?

Quote Originally Posted by MorsVincitOmnia View Post
    Get an iPhone 5c directly from Apple for $469 unlocked, and if your relative uses it for 3 years, then it will cost roughly $13 a month. Then get a plan separately, depending on what she wants, and where you live. Public Mobile (runs on Telus' network) has a $40 plan with 1GB of data and unlimited text and talk. If this works, then for $53 a month ($40 + $13) you are set for the next 3 years.

You get my drift. Do the math, and go from there. Signing a contract with the Big 3 might not be the best decision, especially with their abusive prices.
    I like the idea. Unfortunately Public is not in SK. Also here the big 3 have prices driven down by Sasktel, so much cheaper. Unlimited Canada wide + 1GB is $55 on Bell/Telus.

I'm thinking maybe other promotions around the holidays like credit to account, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Deciding on the plan/carrier based on gettting any certain brand for free on a contract is as bad idea and a good way to waste your money.
    She wants iphone, so just trying to accommodate.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Bell has the iPhone 5S on sale for $49 right now. If you're in Saskatoon, I'd get that with the $55 plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madmic23 View Post
    Bell has the iPhone 5S on sale for $49 right now. If you're in Saskatoon, I'd get that with the $55 plan.
    $49 with a 2 year plan. That is not an outright phone price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madmic23 View Post
    Ya that's what I suggested to her. But after seeing how easily my wife's 5 and sister in law's 5s were scratched up, she wanted the more durable exterior despite the cheaper look.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/Various tablets
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 Unpublished SMB plans
    Feedback Score
    Best buy having a sale today on iphone 5c.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogersUser1 View Post
    Ya that's what I suggested to her. But after seeing how easily my wife's 5 and sister in law's 5s were scratched up, she wanted the more durable exterior despite the cheaper look.
    You can always consider a case and tempered glass screen protector to go with that. 5s has better specs than 5c. It'll definitely get a longer OS support.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wenyen View Post
    You can always consider a case and tempered glass screen protector to go with that. 5s has better specs than 5c. It'll definitely get a longer OS support.
    I think a case would help somewhat, but of myself, my wife and her sister, we all had black 5 or 5s, all in a case from day 1 and no screen protector. We all had plenty of scratches on the sides despite, and no scratches on the screen. IMO the screen is not the issue, the anodized aluminum body is, particularly the chamfered edges.

So far I find the 6 really easy to clean and keep scratch free. Different materials, more rounded edges etc. but she wants a free phone so no 6.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Que_Ball View Post
    Best buy having a sale today on iphone 5c.
    Thanks!

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 5S 16GB is free as of this morning, and 5S > 16GB (32/64 if you can find them) are $50 with the current 'premium' contract terms. Various other contract discounts started this morning as well.

Feedback Score

Christmas deals?

Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    iPhone 5S 16GB is free as of this morning, and 5S > 16GB (32/64 if you can find them) are $50 with the current 'premium' contract terms. Various other contract discounts started this morning as well.
    Nice!

Even the 6 is down to $160

via the HoFo App