Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 700 MHz network deployment as Band 12 using MFBI

Feedback Score

AT&T 700 MHz network deployment as Band 12 using MFBI

So my unlocked T-Mobile Note 4 with my AT&T SIM inside is able to be forced to band 12 and has a usable signal at 10Mhz, we also have band 17 here but showing a different EARFCN. And then a separate band 2 carrier which I never connect too automatically.. The thing is I did not think AT&T had B12, so are the Note 4 field tests showing erroneous? This is in Birmingham, AL so the only holder is supposed to be Cspire, however they did recently buy a subsidiary Corr Wireless..
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Very interested. It looks like AT&T has turned on MFBI (Multi-Frequency Band Indicator) in quite a few markets to fulfill their promise and support Band 12 along with Band 17. Both of those EARFCN values correspond to the same center frequency of 739MHz, which is right in the center of AT&T's B+C blocks.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Very interested. It looks like AT&T has turned on MFBI (Multi-Frequency Band Indicator) in quite a few markets to fulfill their promise and support Band 12 along with Band 17. Both of those EARFCN values correspond to the same center frequency of 739MHz, which is right in the center of AT&T's B+C blocks.
    This is what I was thinking as well. I wonder if it is happening here in NY 🗽

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm when I did the same thing I got the same results here in Houston.
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So ATT is now broadcasting band 12 alongside band 17?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Junkie View Post
    So my unlocked T-Mobile Note 4 with my AT&T SIM inside is able to be forced to band 12 and has a usable signal at 10Mhz, we also have band 17 here but showing a different EARFCN. And then a separate band 2 carrier which I never connect too automatically.. The thing is I did not think AT&T had B12, so are the Note 4 field tests showing erroneous? This is in Birmingham, AL so the only holder is supposed to be Cspire, however they did recently buy a subsidiary Corr Wireless..
    Atts band 12 shows stronger signal than pics people have shown of tmobiles band 12

via the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    So ATT is now broadcasting band 12 alongside band 17?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    They never haven't been broadcasting on what 12 covers. 17 is merely a subset of 12 that doesn't have Block A to avoid the inherent interference issues. So a Band 12 radio looks for A, B and C blocks, and will get whatever of those 3 is available. Band 17 would look only for B and C. No hacks needed, and AT&T is moving to Band 12 devices as it is.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Basically, AT&T's branded devices will show band 17, and tmobile or unlocked devices will report band 12. All being on the same spectrum.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Both of those EARFCN values correspond to the same center frequency of 739MHz, which is right in the center of AT&T's B+C blocks.
    So does USCC still think that MBFI isn't the solution?
    I remember that USCC as per their white paper jumped all over on/criticize AT&T for even thinking about testing and deploying MBFI on its network, yet when AT&T made this announcement a little over a year ago they praised Acting FCC Chairwoman Mignon Clyburn for reaching a solution with AT&T on this matter.

As for AT&T I suspect that they have been exploring the possibility of deploying or at least aware of the concept behind MBFI for the past 3-4 years now, yet their official line was that there was serious issues with the Lower A band and the area near their Lower B band and would have rather argued for the much needed Band 17 specification.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 12-22-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    700mhz block A is only 6mhz. B and C are 6mhz each (12mhz combined).

Is AT&T using only 5-10mhz blocks of those frequencies, due to LTE bandwidth blocks? (1.4MHz, 3MHz, 5MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz, and 20MHz)

Possible to use 10mhz for one block, and 1.4mhz for a secondary channel?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    700mhz block A is only 6mhz. B and C are 6mhz each (12mhz combined).

Is AT&T using only 5-10mhz blocks of those frequencies, due to LTE bandwidth blocks? (1.4MHz, 3MHz, 5MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz, and 20MHz)

Possible to use 10mhz for one block, and 1.4mhz for a secondary channel?
    That's not right since each block needs both the downlink and uplink when using FDD-LTE.

As it applies to Lower 700 MHz band with AT&T/T-Mobile US.
    Under FDD-LTE you have 6 MHz for downlink and 6 MHz for uplink, which the A, B and C blocks are designed for so each 700 MHz block is 12 MHz. The B+C blocks combined are 24 MHz wide. A total of 20 MHz (or 10 MHz FDD) is used for LTE on AT&T so the difference is 4 MHz and I suspect that there are two 2 MHz guard bands the beginning of the B block and the end of the C Block.

Verizon Wireless has one Upper C block which is 24 MHz wide, but like AT&T used 20 MHz (or 10 MHz FDD) for LTE.

The LTE bandwidth blocks are given in FDD sizes as it applies to AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon Wireless since they only use LTE in the FDD format.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 12-23-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    They never haven't been broadcasting on what 12 covers. 17 is merely a subset of 12 that doesn't have Block A to avoid the inherent interference issues. So a Band 12 radio looks for A, B and C blocks, and will get whatever of those 3 is available. Band 17 would look only for B and C. No hacks needed, and AT&T is moving to Band 12 devices as it is.
    Exactly. It's picking up B or C. Nothing new here really. Hopefully B17 will be driven out of existence, as it was stupid and shouldn't have existed in the first place, since B12 covers everything. The same is true for B25(???) which is a superset of B2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Exactly. It's picking up B or C. Nothing new here really. Hopefully B17 will be driven out of existence, as it was stupid and shouldn't have existed in the first place, since B12 covers everything. The same is true for B25(???) which is a superset of B2.
    Totally agree on band 12. Band 2 however, was around LONG before the g block was used for anything wasn't it?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yup. Careful on his word choice there. It is a superset. Covers Band 2 plus the G block. ;-)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Only Band 17 devices will be driven out of existence from retail channels, as AT&T will work with device manufactures to support Band 12.
    AT&T will retain the Band 17 indicator on the network side for devices which only support this network.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 12-23-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast