Thread: Lower cost plan for an older couple

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Lower cost plan for an older couple

I've been with Verizon (originally Alltel) for about 15 years. We still have the Alltel Family National Freedom sharing 1000 minutes beyond mobile to mobile, nights/weekends, and 11 Friends/Family numbers. Our TOTAL phone voice usage is well under 500 minutes. I have the unlimited data feature, but have never exceeded 300MB in a month. My wife has the 2G feature, and has never exceeded 500MB. She has a 200 message limited text plan but has never exceeded 50; I don't use text.

Both lines are now out of contract, and are LTE smartphones, mine a Droid Bionic, hers an iPhone 5. Our bill is ~$135 plus tax.

I'd like to significantly reduce our bill now that we are no longer "financing" any phones. What are our better options? While I don't think it is significant, we are in Greenville SC.

I'll note that we do use significant WiFi data.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Verizon prepaid will save you a little money, but you can save more with a Mvno like Pageplus, who uses the Verizon network. They have a TnT 1200 plan with 1200 minutes, 3000 txt and 500mb data for $29.95 per month. Data speed is only average 5Mbps down so it's slower than Verizon but enough for general web browsing, Youtube streaming...etc. You can usually find a local dealer or an online one to help handle the month to month renewal fir you.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yep, prepaid would definitely be the way to go. The Page Plus $29.95 plan sounds perfect for you. You can also save an additional 10% by buying your refills from prepay refill, and you can also set up auto pay with them.
    I have been with Page Plus for several years now and the savings are significant.
    http://www.prepayrefill.com/product-...ge-plus-plans/

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus is the value leader on the VZW network. The $30 tier should fit quite nicely.

Since you have LTE phones, i think it would be very easy to switch. Just order page plus sim cards, then transfer your phone numbers to the new PP service, then take out the old VZW sim card and insert the new PP Sim card.

Does anyone know if the APN and MMS settings are the same on the new PP 4G LTE service? I'd assume so (no additional steps).

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Another "vote" for Page Plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Does anyone know if the APN and MMS settings are the same on the new PP 4G LTE service? I'd assume so (no additional steps).
    I think so. I used my Note 2 overseas with a foreign sim, when I activated the phone on Pageplus, I couldn't get data at first. Then I went to Vzw's web site and put in their APN settings and I got data.

Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    get them the Motorola W315

Feedback Score
    The op already has VZW phones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you want to stay on Verizon post paid,
    More Everything, 1GB data $40 + each phone $25/m with month to month discount = $90 plus taxes.

Device(s)
    Moto E815, W766, LG A340, etc...
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, PagePlus Cellular, PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Page Plus is the value leader on the VZW network. The $30 tier should fit quite nicely.

Since you have LTE phones, i think it would be very easy to switch. Just order page plus sim cards, then transfer your phone numbers to the new PP service, then take out the old VZW sim card and insert the new PP Sim card.
    To the best of my knowledge, Verizon phones DO NOT use SIM cards, they are programmed over the air with PagePlus Cellular (PPC).

They use CDMA technology (NO SIM CARDS) and the others (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) use GSM technology, which uses SIM cards.

By the way, CDMA is NOT used in other parts of the world, either. Your Verizon phone will be useless in Central and So, America, and probably in the rest of the world, too. I have had to leave PPC because of that fact. I have gone to Pure Talk which is using the AT&T network so that I can change SIM cards in C. and So. America and use my own GSM phone.
    Please run a "SEARCH" before posting your question!

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Verizon phones DO NOT use SIM cards, they are programmed over the air with PagePlus Cellular (PPC).

They use CDMA technology (NO SIM CARDS) and the others (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) use GSM technology, which uses SIM cards.

By the way, CDMA is NOT used in other parts of the world, either. Your Verizon phone will be useless in Central and So, America, and probably in the rest of the world, too. I have had to leave PPC because of that fact. I have gone to Pure Talk which is using the AT&T network so that I can change SIM cards in C. and So. America and use my own GSM phone.
    Wow, just about everything in your post is outdated or at least partially-incorrect information.

As of 4G LTE, Verizon phones use SIM cards. 3G phones, with the exception of international GSM-ready 3G phones, do not use SIM cards.

Verizon is the only American carrier that sells their 4G LTE phones unlocked by default, too, so they can be used anywhere worry-free provided the bands match up.

CDMA is still used in many portions of the world, but Verizon has terminated most - if not all - of its CDMA international roaming agreements in favor of GSM/UMTS/LTE-aligned roaming agreements.

4G LTE Verizon phones can be used on all Page Plus plans except for their flat-rate prepaid and $12 monthly plans. You can also use non-Verizon phones provided they have Band 13 LTE and CDMA (Nexus 5X, 6P, etc).
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3a & 4xl; Moto X4 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Check out Boom.us.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    Errhum.. The op is from 2014 and the most recent post not from today was almost two years ago.
    But hatoncat is correct.

Just to note you can still use 2g-3g only phones on pageplus as well as the 4g models.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post

Have you been in a coma since 2006?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Page plus sounds like a good option. With sim cards, I've used verizon phones on cricket (att network) with no major issues. I didn't get all of the LTE bands but the service worked well so that may be another option depending on how the att network is near you. That's a plus about sim cards in the smartphones, you can take them elsewhere and they seem to do pretty good

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app