Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to enable Band 12 on Samsung Galaxy Avant

Feedback Score

How to enable Band 12 on Samsung Galaxy Avant

In my endless quest to actually get a signal in my basement office at work, I managed to stumble upon instructions on how to turn on band 12 for the Galaxy Avant. I just tested this right now and sure enough, I'm connected to Band 12 here in Minneapolis. I'll see if it automatically switches to Band 12 when I go to the basement at the office but considering Minneapolis is one of the "live" Band 12 markets, I suspect it should work just fine.

I'd post the link to give proper credit but my account wont let me. here are the instructions from the developer site. This just involves navigating through the service mode menu.

In the Phone App dial the following: *#197328640#
    Press menu -> Select Key Input enter "Q" (capital letter) -> Press OK
    Press Menu -> Select Key Input enter 0000 (four zeros) -> Press OK

At this point wait about 15 seconds and the menu will change from DEBUG to MAIN MENU

Select [2] UE Setting & Info Menu
    Select [1] Setting
    Select [2] System
    Select [9] Next Page
    Select [7] LTE Band On/Off
    Select [5] LTE B12
    I was told the settings won't stay unless you back all the way out (Menu -> Back) then reboot. So, that's what I did.

I'd post images but this is my first post (long time forum lurker). I'm connected to band 12 with 5mhz here. (I believe almost all of TMobile's band 12 is only 5mhz) Anyway, I'm excited enough to have Band 12 to finally make an account here and post.

Carrier(s)
    ·····T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Here's the source (/u/sometymes on Reddit)

I was gonna post them but I didn't want to take his credit or karma.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't work for me.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by klakzky View Post
    In my endless quest to actually get a signal in my basement office at work, I managed to stumble upon instructions on how to turn on band 12 for the Galaxy Avant. I just tested this right now and sure enough, I'm connected to Band 12 here in Minneapolis. I'll see if it automatically switches to Band 12 when I go to the basement at the office but considering Minneapolis is one of the "live" Band 12 markets, I suspect it should work just fine.

I'd post the link to give proper credit but my account wont let me. here are the instructions from the developer site. This just involves navigating through the service mode menu.

In the Phone App dial the following: *#197328640#
    Press menu -> Select Key Input enter "Q" (capital letter) -> Press OK
    Press Menu -> Select Key Input enter 0000 (four zeros) -> Press OK

At this point wait about 15 seconds and the menu will change from DEBUG to MAIN MENU

Select [2] UE Setting & Info Menu
    Select [1] Setting
    Select [2] System
    Select [9] Next Page
    Select [7] LTE Band On/Off
    Select [5] LTE B12
    I was told the settings won't stay unless you back all the way out (Menu -> Back) then reboot. So, that's what I did.

I'd post images but this is my first post (long time forum lurker). I'm connected to band 12 with 5mhz here. (I believe almost all of TMobile's band 12 is only 5mhz) Anyway, I'm excited enough to have Band 12 to finally make an account here and post.
    Can you install CellMapper and take a screenshot, or at least post the site and sector ID while connected to band 12? Additionally, if you could run the app as you cruise around town, that would be awesome too. Always good to have more data on the map

Feedback Score
    I do not have Band 12 in my area yet, but this method appeared to work. I followed the instructions and after rebooting, the RF Band selection (*#2263* from the dialer) now allows me to choose Band 12. It used to say "LTE B12 NOT SUPP" and now says "LTE B12" and when I click on it, it puts a star there and I lose service (because there is no Band 12 here). It immediately goes back to service when I change bands to one that is in the area. I know T-Mobile owns spectrum here in New England, but with channel 51 in Providence Rhode Island, I may not see this light up until I get a new phone anyway. Thanks for the info though, I like to have my phone unlocked to its fullest potential!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unforgiven512 View Post
    Can you install CellMapper and take a screenshot, or at least post the site and sector ID while connected to band 12? Additionally, if you could run the app as you cruise around town, that would be awesome too. Always good to have more data on the map
    I'll try and screenshot the sector ID/sites. I have cellmapper installed, I just never run it. I also found out the band 12 is somewhat limited here so far. They haven't made it to all the suburbs yet. I imagine that'll change over time though.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot klakzky!
    The procedure worked on my Avant! x2!
    I'm waiting for T-Mobile to upgrade their LTE network in my area to support the Lower A band
    and for AT&T to deploy MFBI on their current Band 17 LTE network. Unlocked and ready to go Band 12!

For now, I'm just going to deal with Band 2 and 4 (mainly) on AT&T with the Avant.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Thanks a lot klakzky!
    I'm waiting for T-Mobile to upgrade their LTE network in my area to support the Lower A band
    and for AT&T to deploy MFBI on their current Band 17 LTE network. Unlocked and ready to go Band 12!

For now, I'm just going to deal with Band 2 and 4 (mainly) on AT&T with the Avant.
    Att doesn't own much if at all any 700A spectrum. Why would they use mfbi?

How come the same theory isn't for pcs since all except for sprint use pcs A through F blocks while sprint uses pcs A through G?

via the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    Att doesn't own much if at all any 700A spectrum. Why would they use mfbi?
    Because AT&T caved into the demands of the FCC to make the Lower 700 MHz compatible.
    Their Lower B&C LTE networks will be a part of the entire Lower 700 MHz band plan (A, B, C), no more of this Band 17 (B, C) nonsense they have held on since the end of Auction 73.

How come the same theory isn't for pcs since all except for sprint use pcs A through F blocks while sprint uses pcs A through G?
    Because MFBI is optional, unless AT&T, Verizon Wireless, and T-Mobile plan on offering roaming to Sprint consumers.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot klakzky!

I'm assuming you're using the phone on AT&T and if you are, you can follow the same process to unlock band 17 on the avant. I think its also currently a locked band that you can unlock. So you should be able to access their 700 mhz LTE before they convert it to band 12.

Feedback Score
    I'm assuming you're using the phone on AT&T and if you are, you can follow the same process to unlock band 17 on the avant. I think its also currently a locked band that you can unlock. So you should be able to access their 700 mhz LTE before they convert it to band 12.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ing-up-band-12

AT&T has MFBI working in some areas

I'm guessing that AT&T will start ordering phones with band 12 (and maybe band 17) support to comply with FCC, network will broadcast MFBI on bands 12 & 17 ( to support legacy 17-only phones and newer 12 phones)

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ing-up-band-12

AT&T has MFBI working in some areas

I'm guessing that AT&T will start ordering phones with band 12 (and maybe band 17) support to comply with FCC, network will broadcast MFBI on bands 12 & 17 ( to support legacy 17-only phones and newer 12 phones)
    You realize they're not stuck with MBFI-ing the thing as Band 17 for the next two years give or take? Because the iPhone 6 series is Band 17 only, no Band 12?
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    You realize they're not stuck with MBFI-ing the thing as Band 17 for the next two years give or take? Because the iPhone 6 series is Band 17 only, no Band 12?
    AT&T is supposed to have MBFI rolled out across their network in 10 months or so.
    Might as well seed the market with Band 12 devices right now.

Band 17 isn't there.
    The only other 700 MHz band (apparent) support is 28, which is the APT band.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is supposed to have MBFI rolled out across their network in 10 months or so.
    Might as well seed the market with Band 12 devices right now.
    Ahh, but didn't they just release a rather significant device a couple of months ago that didn't have Band 12 support? An i-something? Some fruit thingy? Anyway, with that they're pretty much committed to advertising Band 17 for the next 24 months anyway. Or the i-Backlash might be serious. They might also advertise Band 12, but 17 isn't going anywhere (which is too bad, it should be killed with fire).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    Ahh, but didn't they just release a rather significant device a couple of months ago that didn't have Band 12 support? An i-something? Some fruit thingy? Anyway, with that they're pretty much committed to advertising Band 17 for the next 24 months anyway. Or the i-Backlash might be serious. They might also advertise Band 12, but 17 isn't going anywhere (which is too bad, it should be killed with fire).
    that's what I'm saying - the AT&T network will be broadcasting MFBI for 17 AND 12 for the near future and probably forever.... all of their past devices are band 17-only (i.e. no band 12, maybe with 2/4/5/30 additional support), so they can't just dump 17.... MFBI is a valid and good enough permanent solution

what I'm happy about will be band 12 support on future AT&T phones - manufacturers can start dropping band17-only support, t-mobile users will be happy, AT&T users looking to switch to t-mobile will be happy (once they unlock phones)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast