Thread: Unlocking my orphaned phone...

Feedback Score

Unlocking my orphaned phone...

Hey Everyone, I got a supposedly unlocked galaxy s5 phone from a highly rated dealer on ebay, but it is not unlocked. I would like to unlock it so it will work on my tmobile account. It was advertised as AT&T and has the logo on the battery cover, but AT&T says it is not their phone. They tell me they cannot give me an unlock code because it has to come from the original carrier and they don't know who that is. I have searched the IMEI lists and it is not blacklisted, but I am new to this and I am not sure what, if there is anything, I can do while I wait for the seller to avoid me. If anyone can give me some insight, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Motorola V195
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    First, have you contacted the "highly rated dealer" who sold you this brick?

When you turn it on, does the boot screen display any corporate logo or any other identifying info?

If you're willing to spend a few dollars to get some more clues to the phone's true origins, go to an AT&T store and get a SIM card for their pay as you go plan. If it works, you can start jumping through whatever hoops AT&T sets up to get a phone unlocked.

If not, you might do the same for T-Mobile.

You might even be able to get a SIM card at no charge; my local AT&T store did that for me when someone loaned me an unlocked GSM phone to use on a trip to Europe a long, long time ago, and like you I wanted to be sure it was really unlocked, and to see how it worked.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, RBert, for your reply. My Galaxy S5 active is from AT&T for sure. It has the logo, plays the jingle and is pre-loaded with the lovely AT&T garbage. I can't understand why the ppl at AT&T acted like it was a hot 'tater and didn't find any record of it. After calling and giving them the IEMI they said it wasn't theirs. Anyway, the dealer finally sent an unlock code so it is working now. I wish I could get rid of the pre-loaded stuff as it keeps popping up or it runs in the background and sucks my battery down. It is great how ppl like you will share what they know. Thanks again.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GetOffThePhone View Post
    Thank you, RBert, for your reply. My Galaxy S5 active is from AT&T for sure. It has the logo, plays the jingle and is pre-loaded with the lovely AT&T garbage. I can't understand why the ppl at AT&T acted like it was a hot 'tater and didn't find any record of it. After calling and giving them the IEMI they said it wasn't theirs. Anyway, the dealer finally sent an unlock code so it is working now. I wish I could get rid of the pre-loaded stuff as it keeps popping up or it runs in the background and sucks my battery down. It is great how ppl like you will share what they know. Thanks again.
    The only way I know to get rid of the preloaded apps is to root your phone (then use something like Titanium Backup). However, if simply stopping the apps from running is your goal, you could try to "disable" the apps in the app info page or "hibernate" the apps using the Greenify app.