Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still like flip phones??

Feedback Score

Does anyone still like flip phones??

It took me a long long time before finally getting a smart phone. I just loved military grade flip phones so much! Getting a smart phone was neat at first but now I just don't see the point. I'm just not one that uses a billion apps and even FB is wearing thin on how often I check it. It's just the same this or that and I'm sick of it... I'm not a hundred years old I'm only 40 and just don't see the need anymore. I might miss being able to look something up real quick once in awhile, but I just yearn for the simplicity of an old school flip. The phone that catches my eye is offered by AT&T the Rugby 4. Anyone else missing the days of a flip phone?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No.

I hated texting on those things ... just for starters.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Does anyone still like flip phones??

No. I hardly use voice anymore. Usually less than 10 minutes a month down from 700-1000 minutes per month at my peak around a decade ago.

My communication now is mostly via messaging of one form or another. This was painful on phones without some sort of alphanumeric keyboard (T9, etc).

Being able to do strongly encrypted messaging and voice is also a good feature as the surveillance state ramps up (Wickr, threema, textsecure/Redphone, silent circle) and one definitely needs a smartphone for that.

Spotify also gives me an enormous music library on the go for $10/mo. I also listen to Ebooks on my commute via audible. Waze is useful for navigating. My phone also has a programmable RPN calculator app that gets a fair bit of use.

Now, there is part of me that would like a high end smartphone running iOS or Android with a physical qwerty keyboard.

I am 49. I would never go back to a basic phone.
    Last edited by mch; 12-31-2014 at 01:21 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For taking and making calls while running heavy equipment they can't be beat. Looking up diagrams and ordering parts, well not so much. I have both...

Feedback Score
    I like small phones best but they arent good for texting like a smartphone is. Also, the battery life was great on those flip phones. The signals often seemed better on flip phones. I remember my old nokia 2610. That thing worked everwhere. Definitely a tradeoff.

Feedback Score
    I have a flip phone activated on Page Plus for times when I want a compact phone on my person. I hate the size of smartphones. My ideal would be a smartphone with a 2 1/2" to 3" screen and durability. If I didn't need a smartphone for tethering to internet, I would go back to a basic phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I canned my smartphone (Android) and went back to a flip phone. LG VN150. I love it except for texting. And I wouldn't text as much if people would stop texting me and just send me an email. I have an Android Tab 3 8" tablet that I carry around at work and it suits my aging eyes and fat fingers better for email, calendar, and web.
    Mark J.

Feedback Score
    Not a big fan of flip phones but I am a HUGE fan of flipping customers to new accounts.

Feedback Score
    I found that giving up my iPhone precipitated a change, and I now feel much more present as I go through my life. Constantly looking at my phone had become a means of distracting myself in order to escape boredom and dull the chatter in my head. A college student doesn't really need a smartphone; I would rather look at Facebook and check my email when I am sitting at a computer to which I can devote my full attention. I certainly do understand that some people need to have them for their work. I don't think, however, that having one for "personal" use is right for everyone. I certainly do miss conveniences like the camera and gps.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    I had a Nokia 6103 on T-Mobile for the longest time. I LOVED IT!

But I'm addicting to android. I use apps like Yelp, Waze, email, DI radio on a daily basis

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    There's a part of me that knows what the OP is saying...

However, smartphones have simply brought too much convenience to my life.

There are definitely scenarios where a flip would be more convenient, but smartphones are just too good to let go...

Thank You John Legere!!!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    I kind of like an old school flip.
    The one on my profile picture is one I used for a while.
    The Samsung Stripe
    The great thing with T-Mobile is I can switch my SIM card around and if I want to use my tiny flip phone and just carry it in my pocket I can and not worry about something happening to my big screen smart phone.

I still am very annoyed that I missed out on buying the LG dLite a few years ago when T-Mobile was selling them on their site.

This summer I was talking to a woman at her garage sale about cell phones because I always ask if there are any for sale. We were talking about T-Mobile service and how good it is in this area and she takes her phone out of her pocket and says she loves her old school flip phone and her kids think she should upgrade to an Android.

And it was the LG dLite!
    The phone of my desires!
    The one I let get away!
    I was having severe phone envy.

It was every bit as cute as I had imagined.

As big as my cell phone collection is I still yearn for that one.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Feedback Score
    Yes, I wish I had my LG Lotus on Ting instead of the horrendous Rumor Reflex. The battery life on flips is excellent compared to smart phones. But I would not give up my smartphones, they are my portable computers and I need them to stay connected to my loved ones via email and text as well as calling.

For calls I sort of wish I could go back to my old AT&T landline phone. No hands no problem with that thing. But I don't really make enough calls to justify the cost.

Southwest Missouri, transplanted from So. Cal
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon of course. I've tried the rest, now I have the best.
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I too miss my Samsung Convoy 2 flip. I could go for a week before charging the battery, seems like all i do now is charge my smart phones battery constantly. This smart phone isn't what I thought it was cracked up to be. Can't wait for my contract to expire. I don't need all the stuff the over sized, over priced, fragile not so smart, smart phone has to offer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    Yes, I wish I had my LG Lotus on Ting
    LG sure made some cute girly phones didn't they?

The Lotus was very cute and the one that got away from me, the LG dLite was really cute too.
    The woman who I was talking to about cell phones at her garage sale called her dLite her 'Hello Kitty' phone because it was pink and really cute.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast