Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still like flip phones??

Device(s)
    Note 9, S9, S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the Chocolate 3 was a great flip phone. Wish I could find one in like-new condition, but most on eBay are used pretty bad.
    ==>My Amazon page with LED car headlight bulbs: Diamond Vision LED

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 AndroidOne | Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    It's unfortunate that the mass adoption of smartphones has eliminated the market for higher end flip phones in the USA. I feel a certain nostalgia for that era when there was a much greater diversity of phone form factors (before the ascendency of rectangular touchscreen phones). I regret not being able to try out the following VZW handsets:
    - Samsung FlipShot (screen could be rotated outward to be used as camera viewfinder)
    - Motorola RAZR Maxx Ve (2MP camera with autofocus & flash)
    - Samsung Alias2 (dual hinge flip to T9 or QWERTY modes with morphing e-ink keypad buttons)

Ironically, I'd chosen the Chocolate3 only after eliminating these handsets from consideration (with parenthetical drawbacks included):
    - Motorola Z6tv or Z6c (poorly-reviewed camera & UI)
    - Samsung Juke (only 1xRTT capable)
    - Samsung Trance (only 1xRTT capable and unreliably-functioning front thermal-not-capacitive buttons)
    - LG Decoy (detachable bluetooth headset was poorly-reviewed for audio quality)

As you can tell, I had a serious hankering for cool slider phones at the time (thanks to 'The Matrix' films). If I hadn't been with VZW at the time, I might've gotten a SonyEricsson W760a or Nokia 5610 XpressMusic instead!

In terms of a well-spec'd flip phone of more recent vintage, might I suggest the Pantech Breeze III? Its call quality was well-reviewed and it's less bulky and IMO more attractive than other basic and/or rugged handsets in the current era (unless one needs VZW coverage).

Sent from my Android using HowardForums
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: HTC "10" (VZW) | Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    A lot of great flip phones from moto all the nextel sets had full duplex speaker phones

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I hear they get great battery life. Just kidding, but I am thinking of getting a newer Tracphone that uses Verizon. The only new ones are LG filp phones so I may get one in the near future. I had a Rugby 2 that I unlocked for backup that was on H20. My Dad was leaving the country for a couple of months and want a good basic phone. I gave it to him and now he loves using it down there. He is using the Rugby as his main phone overseas because he does some construction. As you can see on my profile picture I have a Nokia 6133. The 6133 was my first phone on Tmobile when I got a line of service on my own. So I do have a soft spot for Nokia phones and flip phones in general.

Device(s)
    Note 9, S9, S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    So I've notice a few of the reviews of the Kyocera DuraXV on the Verizon site mention the call quality isn't that great and it's difficult to hear people. Eventually I may have to try it out for myself.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    So I've notice a few of the reviews of the Kyocera DuraXV on the Verizon site mention the call quality isn't that great and it's difficult to hear people. Eventually I may have to try it out for myself.
    You can see the DuraXT, top, eschews looks for greater functionality versus the XA.

There is always the new Rugby 4 or the NEC Terrain for GSM anyway.

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  61.5 KBName:  Kyocera-DuraXV-650x650.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  46.9 KB

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7, Verizon Unlimited

Feedback Score
    I'm not having any issues with call quality it's loud and clear!

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't mind seeing an Android flip phone...but knowing Verizon it would require an expensive data plan.
    But an Android flip phone without a data plan would still be useful as its not like you'd be doing a lot of web use on it anyway.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn't mind seeing an Android flip phone...but knowing Verizon it would require an expensive data plan.
    But an Android flip phone without a data plan would still be useful as its not like you'd be doing a lot of web use on it anyway.
    All smartphones require a data plan on Verizon and any phone with an operating system like Android is a smartphone. So yes, a flip smartphone would require a data plan on Verizon.

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I still use a flip phone. Samsung Gusto on Verizon pay-as-you-go. I've had it since 2011, which replaced an LG flip phone from 2005.

I almost bought a prepay Moto G today, at Best Buy, but after mulling it over decided not to. Going from $100/year to $45/month is a big jump just to add data (and unlimited talk/text which I don't need, as I talk ~20 minutes a month and never text).

Along with the cost, I like that the flip phone fits in my pocket, won't butt-dial and I can go 2 weeks without charging it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    (and unlimited talk/text which I don't need, as I talk ~20 minutes a month and never text).
    Do you have a landline? If you have an unlimited talk plan, you can get rid of the landline.

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    My wife uses the landline more than I do, so she's the one who would need the unlimited talk plan. Dumping it would free up enough for one cellphone unlimited talk, but not two.

I'll switch to VoIP for landline before going cell-only.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    My wife uses the landline more than I do, so she's the one who would need the unlimited talk plan. Dumping it would free up enough for one cellphone unlimited talk, but not two.
    2 basic lines on a ME plan sharing 500MB of data is $60/mo with unlimited talk and text. But idk if you have to have at least 1 smartphone on a ME plan or not.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast