Thread: Activating Used Phone On Republic Wireless?

Device(s)
    LG Optimus V VM670
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Activating Used Phone On Republic Wireless?

Hi everybody,

I was looking to help a friend switch from her current provider, to a plan on Republic Wireless. I see that used phones can be found on eBay for Republic Wireless, however information regarding activating a used phone on a new Republic Wireless accounts seems to be conflicting. I was considering purchase of a used Defy XT to activate on a new Republic Wireless account, and have several questions.
    Can this phone, or any used Republic Wireless branded phone, be activated on a new account?
    Are there any other considerations I should be aware of in selecting a phone, and helping my friend to migrate to a new carrier?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamoosh View Post
    Hi everybody,

I was looking to help a friend switch from her current provider, to a plan on Republic Wireless. I see that used phones can be found on eBay for Republic Wireless, however information regarding activating a used phone on a new Republic Wireless accounts seems to be conflicting. I was considering purchase of a used Defy XT to activate on a new Republic Wireless account, and have several questions.
    Can this phone, or any used Republic Wireless branded phone, be activated on a new account?
    Are there any other considerations I should be aware of in selecting a phone, and helping my friend to migrate to a new carrier?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Have you read this one? This is from RW itself:

https://community.republicwireless.c...ntents%2F98117

I agree, it's hard dealing with RW since so much of the "support" is community-driven. On the other hand, RW has a very robust and friendly user community.

Device(s)
    LG Optimus V VM670
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply. For anybody else that comes across this post with the same question, pertinent information can be found at the following URLs.

https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-2002
    https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-2001

Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    Have you read this one? This is from RW itself:

https://community.republicwireless.c...ntents%2F98117

I agree, it's hard dealing with RW since so much of the "support" is community-driven. On the other hand, RW has a very robust and friendly user community.

Feedback Score
    Since you mention the Defy XT, I believe that that phone only has one plan, a $19/month, available. The Moto X phone can be on any of the $5-$40 plans, while the Moto G/E can only use $5-25 plans (they have no LTE/4G). If you are certain you want to go with a Defy XT, you would also want to be sure you are buying a dual band version as opposed to the much older single band variant that was originally issued.