Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Funny Thing Happened on My First Day in Hong Kong…

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post A Funny Thing Happened on My First Day in Hong Kong…

Name:  pccw.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  50.2 KB

What we're looking at here is the entrance to the PCCW Customer Service Center in Sheung Wan, where my girlfriend and I spent the better part of an hour on the first day of our Christmas vacation. We had a big problem: neither of our Hong Kong Tourist SIMs were working.

It was especially aggravating because we thought we were ahead of the game; my girlfriend's sister had bought these SIMs and brought them to us in Toronto last summer, so that we'd have them in our phones ready to go from the moment we landed. Months later and exactly according to plan I swapped SIMs in our pair of Nexus 5s (because someone wasn't yet ready for their OnePlus One) as we started our final descent into HKIA.

What's especially convenient about these Tourist SIMs is that there's no required futzing with activation codes; you literally pop in the SIM, reboot and you're ready to go. So you can understand my frustration when neither of them yielded a signal, even after multiple reboots, manual checking of APNs, and every other diagnostic I could think of. We did have WiFi access on the train into town and likewise at our hotel—but dammit, this was the 21st Century, where the Internet was supposed to follow you wherever you go. Our current predicament clearly wouldn't do.

As luck would have it there was a PCCW service centre within walking distance of where we where staying; we had landed so early in the morning that even after showering at the airport, taking a train into Central, taking a taxi to our hotel and checking in we still had to wait for the office to open. When it finally did we were the first customers of the day to be served; unfortunately our very junior PCCW rep didn't really know what to do with us. After rebooting both phones (something I had already done many times by this point) he finally had the bright idea to stick his own PCCW SIM into one of them. And sure enough, it worked exactly as it was supposed to.

Not knowing what else to do he took my phone over to some of his colleagues, who huddled in a circle for about fifteen minutes with no discernible signs of progress. Just as my girlfriend was starting to suggest that we should go, a manager finally joined the fray. Thanks to my girlfriend's Cantonese we overheard him say what was probably the official company line: there was no guarantee that our phones would be supported. But thanks to the SIM swap performed by our junior rep we already knew that (1) our phones were indeed unlocked, and (2) they supported the necessary bands for service in this part of the world.

At about the forty-minute mark the manager finally sat down with us. After examining our phones for another few minutes he spoke in unmistakable English:

"These aren't our SIM cards."

It was only then that I realized precisely what I had done. Despite having my SIMs and SIM ejector tool smartly organized in the carrier described here, in my bleary-eyed stupor on the plane I had not, in fact, put the PCCW SIMs in our phones, but instead the pair of Roam Mobility SIMs we had used earlier in the year in New York and LA. There was little else to do but try to make as graceful an exit as we could, which I imagine looked something like this:

Name:  homer-disappears.gif
Views: 399
Size:  280.5 KB

So yeah, not exactly this tech blogger's finest moment... If you've a mobile fail of your own that you'd like to share and help make me feel better, please do!
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    oh my God. You must have felt like the biggest idiot after realizing what you had done.

BTW. Did you actually had those hong Kong Sims on you or did you actual forget them in TO

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I think we've all had similar "Oh, never mind." moments. Confession is good for the soul.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    Did you actually had those hong Kong Sims on you or did you actual forget them in TO
    They were back at the hotel, in my metal carrying case.

And even in the unlikely event that I hadn't brought them with me, you can buy them all over Hong Kong...

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I think we've all had similar "Oh, never mind." moments. Confession is good for the soul.
    This is exactly the response I was looking for. Thanks!

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    oooh nooo man...

travelling can be like, you'll work to be on top of everything, to the smallest essentials & *BAM* one slight mistake can wreck you..
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Feedback Score
    Lol, I love that gif! I've done things like that too numerous to mention.

Feedback Score
    Embarassing for you, yes. But how is it that it took *them* 40 min to realize the SIMs weren't theirs??

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarmasz View Post
    Embarassing for you, yes. But how is it that it took *them* 40 min to realize the SIMs weren't theirs??
    Ooh, hadn't considered that...!

Name:  homer-reappears.gif
Views: 414
Size:  842.3 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    That's like being in a Japanese Police Station asking for directions to the Post Office, English speaking Officer was found and informed us the next door on our right was it. We had walked past it several times.
    Duh!!!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    LMAO!

After this I think they better change their troubleshooting procedures to something like this:

1: Thank you for calling PCCW, are you sure you have our SIM card in your phone?
    2: Are you CERTAIN you have a PCCW SIM card in your phone?
    3: Did you try turning it off and on again?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a similar experience 5 years ago. I exhausted my prepaid balance on my phone. So I went in to a 3 mobile instead of the Smartone shop. The customer rep opened the prepaid package and started entering the codes. Everytime he retry he got an error code. He couldn't understand why. After awhile he open the battery cover and discover it was not their simcard! Lol. It was a "natural" mistake as the Smartone store was right next to it.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    accurie,

Thanks for sharing your embarrassing moment. LOL

--

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Device(s)
    Google Pixel XL, Huawei Pixel 6P, Moto Nexus 6, LG Nexus 5, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have to say, I commend your girlfriend. She is the smart one of your pairing. Who in their right mind would want to give up using a world-class phone like the Nexus 5, only to downgrade to the mid-tier OPO? (Take THAT, Nexus 6 basher ;-) j/k)

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I will concede that she's none too happy about the OPO's intermittent WiFi bug. Maybe I'll gather her non-OPO-fandroid impressions and post about 'em at some point...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast