Thread: Wind Away network blocked in Wind Home Zone?

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Toronto Wind Away network blocked in Wind Home Zone?

I have the 44 Canada Wide Plan. At work (Mississauga) Wind Reception inside the building is very spotty and hardly works, but because this plan gives me $10 worth of roaming every month, I figured, I would connect to Wind Away, while inside.

The problem is that, when I connect to Wind Away, it takes a good 10-15 minutes (if not more) for the phone the calls to go through and network to connect.

I spoke to Wind Level 2 Technician today, and he claimed that Wind Away is blocked, and can't be used while in the Wind Zone, which does not make any sense because I have used 175 MB of Wind Away Data, while in Wind homezone. The technician suggested I call while I am work, so they can troubleshoot my phone (Wind Moto G 2014) and escalate to the Network team, so they can try to tweak the towers, so I get better Wind signal inside. (Somehow I don't all of that being done, just for one customer.

Just another thing to add: When I do a network scan on my phone: I see

Wind, CAN Rogers Wireless Inc, Bell, Telus, Wind Away, Mobilicity.

Thanks for reading and all your help

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkhan View Post
    Wind Away is blocked, and can't be used while in the Wind Zone, which does not make any sense
    Precisely. Wind Away is not blocked. i sometimes put my SIM in a phone that doesn't support Wind Home. It will connect to Wind Away, even within Wind Home coverage, to receive text messages almost immediately. Calling 611 takes under 20 seconds before hearing: "Thanks for calling Wind Mobile. Let's talk!" i hope they can improve the Wind Home coverage, just like they did recently with Ottawa's Rideau Centre.
    LABcrab
    Free TV! youtu.be/CnbicDLObNQ Also, helping out with TV Rogers shows!
    WIND: $10 Clever / $10 Surf A Little (switched) / $25 Province
    WINDows apps (for any carrier): BarlowGirlBrittany HargestZOEgirlsee more…
    SpeedTest: 19915748 (Wind) and 15864082 (Fido)!

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply LABcrab. I just tested with my older HTC One M7 (unlocked from Virgin Mobile) It connects to Wind Away, but both calls and data are not working. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Wind Away is blocked in some places but not others. There is no sure-fire way to know if roaming is allowed unless you actually try it in the place that you want to test it in. There are many places in the GTA where roaming is completely blocked and users cannot access any roaming network, no matter what they do with their phones. There are also other places in the GTA (and still well within Wind's Home zones) where roaming is allowed.

Any information that users may come across that says Wind Away is always blocked in Wind advertized coverage areas is false. Sometimes it is but sometimes it isn't. An example of this is southern most part of Mississagua where I find that roaming is in fact allowed west of Hurontario (even in strong Wind signal areas). I know if you go further east along Lakeshore and into Etobicoke, roaming is blocked.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. At work (Argentina RD... In Mississauga) Wind AWAY does in fact work, just not all the time, and even when it does... It could be a good 10-15 Minutes or more before it works after connecting to Away.

Feedback Score
    In an internal training doc it was stated that roaming is disabled while a customer is within the wind network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimas212 View Post
    In an internal training doc it was stated that roaming is disabled while a customer is within the wind network.
    I have no doubt that Wind's training material does in fact say that. Unfortunately, the information that the training information is providing is incorrect. Roaming being blocked in Wind zones may be the official company line, but it isn't reality. There are numerous places within Wind service areas where roaming is always allowed. These occurences aren't isolated incidents either and often cover large areas. This all means that it's no glitch, but rather by dessign.

There are also SOME places where roaming really is blocked. When a Wind customer service person or technician uses such a blanket statement about roaming always being blocked in Wind serviced areas, they are unfortinately providing the customer with bad information.