Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $10 bucks gone just like that

Feedback Score

$10 bucks gone just like that

I activated a $20 90 day sim card today. I am a new customer on the H2O network. So far I have had a one minute phone call, did a speed test on ookla, checked e-mail a couple of times and received 2 texts and checked on a webpage for specs on a product. I just checked my balance and have $9.88 left. Does this seem right? Unless that speed test was far more megs than I expected and ate up several $. The other thing is I thought you were supposed to receive a USSD notice after each transaction. So far I've received one USSD notice for the one minute phone call and nothing else. I have sent a message to H2O tech support but haven't heard back.
    Last edited by ces1948; 01-20-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what's going on with your account but those Speed tests take a lot of data.

I'm sure others with more knowledge will be able to tell you more.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Speed tests use a lot of data. The charge is $0.10 per MB for data. The faster your speed, the more data you are going to use in a speed test. You could easily use 40-50 MB in one speed test if you're pulling 7 Mbps or faster.

Carrier(s)
    Black Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget to turn off your mobile data when you are not using it, else your money mysteriously disappears as services running in the background quietly phone home. If you want to use data often, there is a widget to turn it on and off.

Feedback Score
    I did receive a reply from H2O support saying I had used $10.22 worth of data. They also gave me a credit for that amount as a one courtesy which I thought was a nice gesture. Looking into it further showed the speed test used 78 megs of data so I guess that was $7.80 of the $10 right there. I did not however did not receive an answer as to why I didn't receive any USSD notices for the transactions except for the one minute phone call. To those of you on H2O service do you receive a USSD notice after each transaction be it phone, text or data?

Feedback Score
    I even receive USSD notifications to let me know I haven't used anything. At least it seems like it anyway. Hopefully someone will write a Win8 app to block those at some point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ces1948 View Post
    Looking into it further showed the speed test used 78 megs of data so I guess that was $7.80 of the $10 right there.
    Holy moley!!

I knew that speed tests used a lot of data but had no idea that it took that much.

I see people taking speed tests a lot and posting their screen shots for bragging rights or whatever and was wondering how much of their data they were using up.
    "Post your speed test from..... " whatever carrier threads. I've always thought that was rather silly myself.

I'm glad I only use Wi-Fi on my phones.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Carrier(s)
    Black Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Holy moley!!
    Why I use Freedompop.

Feedback Score
    Don't most phones track data usage for you so you can do a before & after a particular "run" of whatever data-hungry activity?

Note some service providers specifically don't count Ookla and other speed tests, but of course that's most likely only with those collecting their $100+ per month from tens of millions of subscribers.

Feedback Score
    I did find the data usage stored on the phone. That's how I discovered the speed test dinged me for 78 megs. Still pretty new to android.

Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Don't most phones track data usage for you so you can do a before & after a particular "run" of whatever data-hungry activity?

Note some service providers specifically don't count Ookla and other speed tests, but of course that's most likely only with those collecting their $100+ per month from tens of millions of subscribers.

Feedback Score
    I am using the free app called Data Enabler. It's a very handy app to enable & disable the data on the phone with a single tab.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Why run a speed test on paygo plan

Feedback Score
    Just curious to find out if I was getting LTE as advertised (very recently) by the provider. I was.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Why run a speed test on paygo plan
    Well for myself, even if I don't use a lot of data per month - because in my case I'm on WiFi 99.9% of the time - I still want a provider that can shovel a lot of bps when I need and choose to pay for it.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ces1948 View Post
    Just curious to find out if I was getting LTE as advertised (very recently) by the provider. I was.
    Well that ended up being a rather expensive curiosity

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast