Thread: Wireless Service from Google...?

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post Wireless Service from Google...?

Name:  google-voice.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  55.1 KB

It's a headline that every telecom operator in the world would be terrified to wake up to:

"Google Plans To Offer Wireless Services"

Sadly (for us) there's no need for them to cower in fear, at least not yet. This isn't about Project Loon, an armada of Google-powered balloons deployed in your city to blanket it with free WiFi. It isn't even as ambitious as Google Fiber, Mountain View's dalliance as an ISP. According to paid site The Information (via DSL Reports), it's decidedly more unglamorous than that:

Google is preparing to sell mobile phone plans directly to customers and manage their calls and mobile data over a cellular network, according to three people with knowledge of the plans. The new service is expected to run on Sprint and T-Mobile’s networks, two people familiar with the product say. Google is expected to reach deals to buy wholesale access to those carriers’ mobile voice and data networks, making it a mobile virtual network operator, or MVNO...
    Hmm... From what I understand the U.S. MVNO market is already pretty well-served by the likes of Cricket and Ting. But hey, more competition can only be a good thing, right?

Here's another pair of links for further reading. The second one, from Android Police, has some additional tidbits from The Wall Street Journal:

My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    More competition is always better. We need to be on guard, though and keep healthy competition. This in conjunction with Project Ara has the potential to give them control of the entire chain of hardware, software, and service delivery of smartphone service. Remember IBM of the late '80's early 90's? Yeah, it's like that.
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I've heard from a few sources that Google does deep ad injection into their Google Fiber service, presumably the kind that a typical browser ad blocker couldn't block. Even if Google offered wireless service for free, there would most certainly be some other, hidden cost...

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I feel like a lot of these Google experiments are primarily for two reasons:

1. To get first-hand experience so they are the experts, so they can optimize their apps and consumer experiences because they have a real-life testing lab that they control from end-to-end; and

2. To showcase what's possible and get the other providers to step up their game - which only benefits Google who's riding the wave (and they have to keep the wave going).

I doubt the service is going to be free, Google Fibre isn't free and it isn't the only thing Google sells to consumers either. I wouldn't expect them to expand to any other countries though.

Carrier(s)
    Many
    Feedback Score
    I'm hoping the price is drastically reduced by supporting ads.

Feedback Score
    one thing i would like from a google wireless service is a sim card tied to my google number, and i would like to be able to put it into a basic flip phone and make and receive calls directly through google voice.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Google should just buy T-Mobile. Google has the resources to fix T-Mobile's coverage problems.

Device(s)
    Moto G5+, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG Rebel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, SafeLink
    Feedback Score
    Actually since Google can afford either one (or both!) they should buy Sprint.
    Then they could switch the NASCAR title to the Google Cup

Feedback Score
    Google should not buy sprint. They should build a wireless network from scratch. With the best new technology.
    I have always thought Carlos Slim should buy T-Mobile. Add them to his phone empire. He could get so many latin american subscribers with free calls withing his network.

Feedback Score
    I'm following developments over at Republic Wireless. The "WiFi centric" Sprint MVNO. They recently established what they are calling "Republic Labs" and are recruiting users to act as testers for new services they are developing. Their CEO has announced RW will add more carriers in the future. At least one more by year end.

Significantly, RW is owned by Bandwidth which also supplies Google with services supporting Google Voice. RW has never had enough resources to fix several chronic problems but suddenly they are flush with resources to develop new services and integrate new carriers. Hmmmm.

Feedback Score
    Imagine what Google will able to do once they own a combination of all your browsing habits and continual updates on your location based on where your cell phone is? Targeted advertising heaven!

Feedback Score
    This idea is idiotic on several front.

1. Their now pissing off the carriers, the company who carries their software on their network

2. Exception of T-mobile and Sprint, and it took some hard convincing at Sprint, this is a roaming network,
    they don't have the Bandwidth to start their own network.

3. Only their phone works on it. Motorola Nexus, In-case you haven't noticed not the hottest seller.

Google is a software company their foray into manufacturer ownership didn't last long, it latest about 8 months before
    google sold Motorola to Lenevo. This time won't be any different.

Usually google uses these things as leverage for something different, something they actually want.

Feedback Score
    Here's the thing with Google. They make most of their money from search, and now that a huge portion of that is done on mobile they are finding that they aren't tapping that market as well. A lot of phone search is done via apps or indirect means. Instead of someone just plugging everything into Google they instead use a map app, or a weather app, or a music app, or a sports app, or a news app, etc. They are experimenting with ways to entice and keep everyone within the Google world all the time, and mobile is a huge key to the problem. If they can somehow also be the conduit for everything you do on your smartphone they will be able to monetize that far beyond any profits to be made from selling the actual service.