Thread: which route did you take all you Nokia symbian users

Device(s)
    Xperia z3 compact
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

which route did you take all you Nokia symbian users

Just out of curiosity, since Microsoft bought Nokia and they no longer using symbian OS, where did all the die hard nokia fans go? I'm talking about the ones knows all the N series, N-gage, 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx and 9xxx.... Did you switch to android or ios, or simply stick with Microsoft and using windows? I want to know how you guy doing, still with Nokia or found new love in android or ios.
    Current plan: Tmobile unlimited family 89.99
    Current phone: S.E. U10i

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS, N78, N82, N81 8GB,N95-4, N95-3, N95-1 PINK!, N73 PINK/WHITE!, N90 proto, OEM Pink N-Gage
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellphoneFreaks View Post
    Just out of curiosity, since Microsoft bought Nokia and they no longer using symbian OS, where did all the die hard nokia fans go? I'm talking about the ones knows all the N series, N-gage, 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx and 9xxx.... Did you switch to android or ios, or simply stick with Microsoft and using windows? I want to know how you guy doing, still with Nokia or found new love in android or ios.
    I went to iOS. Lol back then I never saw myself as an iOS user and vowed it wouldn't happen... But it did and I'm happy.
    I still have my N-Gage and my N-Series devices though and occasionally take them out of the box to use.

ѕenт ғroм мy ιpнone 6 υѕιng тapaтalĸ

Device(s)
    Xperia z3 compact
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I went to iOS. Lol back then I never saw myself as an iOS user and vowed it wouldn't happen... But it did and I'm happy.
    I still have my N-Gage and my N-Series devices though and occasionally take them out of the box to use.

ѕenт ғroм мy ιpнone 6 υѕιng тapaтalĸ
    Nice! I'm planning to switch from android to ios myself. Been with android the past years and actually want to give apple a try. My wife just got the 6 plus and loving it, so i'm looking forward to it too Great to hear you still have the classic toys, that's awesome!

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

which route did you take all you Nokia symbian users

I have both an iOS and Android phone now.

Back in the day, my two phones were Symbian and Blackberry. I was particular fond of the Communicator models with the qwerty keyboards (E series and 9200/9500)

Maemo looked like a cool direction for Nokia towards a modern OS. I used a N900 for a while also. Even without the Microsoft acquisition, it was probably doomed to fail against Android and iOS.

I have no interest in Windows phone at this time. It is missing too many apps that I use. It would be like going back in time 5 years. Perhaps it might be more palatable if I were entrenched in the Microsoft ecosystem.
    Last edited by mch; 02-16-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Xperia z3 compact
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Great to hear, I like both andriod and iOS and have no interest in windows as well.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    The only time I've used an android or IOS, was in the store....demo.

My phone is a windows phone....seems so much easier to use that IOS or android.

I don't care for all the endless optimizations and options....Windows gives enough to personalize it and that is where it should be. I mean, it's a phone....not a computer on some elaborate network. Easier is better for a phone and that is why I am WP forever.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I think windows phones are very easy to use and my only complaints are the lack of apps. I like the lumias a lot. Hopn the apps grow
    Sent from my RM-1018_1006 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Feedback Score
    I have owned every Nokia Communicator made since the brick 9000IL, pre-Symbian. Also a few non-Communicators, and one Android from about seven years ago.

Two years ago I decided to "upgrade" from my touchscreen Nokia running Symbian Belle. I don't recall them name or model number. I decided to stick with Nokia and like what I saw about Windows Phone on the intertubes. And I just plain like swimming upstream.

I bought a used 810, and later, 925's. I won't vent at how PO'd I was to find out that the PC/Ovi Suite no longer worked, everything was on a cloud somewhere and I couldn't access my own backups. And, of course, to utilize said data and more, you need a fast broadband connection and it STILL takes hours to do a hard reset. (And I've never had to hard reset any other phone I've ever owned.) To this day, this is the biggest problem I have with WP.

But just like the Stockholm Syndrome where captives start liking their captors and living with the experience, I now have adjusted. I can't live in the past, as much as I try. Time keeps moving forward, and our phone options are only three. And every time I use that incredible Windows Phone interface, I ask my captors, "More, please." Stunning simplicity - which I've read where Android/iPhone fanboys have dismissed, sniff!, as a reason to not buy WP. It's too easy. Real men struggle. Go figger.

Live tiles, the grouping of app types, the quick access to other apps, it's all just stunning. I'm always one to put function before form, but the tile type (Metro? What is it this week?) interface is both functional and major eye candy.

As to the alleged "lack of apps," yes, there are some MIA. But usually when people say that, they see that Android has, say, 5 Bazillion apps and WP has only 1 Bazillion. But people forget that almost all of that 4 Bazillion difference are redundant. How many music player apps does one need? "Not enough apps" is mostly just a dismissive mantra, mostly from those who haven't used the WP but want to pretend they know something.

There are a few that I wish WP had, either by native or from the third party like TruPhone. But the only one that I'm so perplexed at why MS doesn't make is the ability to offload SMS threads as CSV. Many have complained about this, MS remains deaf. Fortunately, if the other party is doing Android, it can be done. I've also read of people such as lawyers doing billable hours and having to return to Android because WP doesn't provide a call duration.

All in all, as bad as some things are with WP (and, oh, the terrible non-calDAV calendaring!, I use the True 8 app and Google Calendar via Thunderbird Lightning, now I'm happy!) I shudder at the thought of going back to icons and multiple desktops.

Anxiously awaiting the new 640.........