Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless: América Móvil's Verizon-based Brand

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFlare View Post
    My local Walmart already had both the phones and the cards when I went there on Tuesday, and they would be right behind you if you were facing the Straight Talk phones and cards. I saw cards for all the different numbers of lines and the data add-on.
    Thanks. Will check my local Walmart again today. Those supply semi-trucks keep rolling in all the time I guess.

=====

Update: I let my fingers do the walking. Over the phone, a Walmart clerk said he doesn't yet see the Total W. cards on the shelf but thinks he saw them on a truck a day or two ago. But he said you can't buy the cards if they don't have a place yet on the shelf--they won't pull them from the back storeroom without a place on the shelf/peg board first. He hasn't seen any phones yet.

He also said the $99 S.T. Moto E with free $40 gift card and free case is likely just an online deal. Hmmm.
    Last edited by roncomatic; 02-28-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    Total wireless does not seem to offer any way to call Canada or Mexico. Am I wrong?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    coverage with evidently no extended networks[/URL] for voice calling may be a deal breaker for me.
    Which is the case with nearly all VZW MVNOs.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    Also saw some BasicTalk phone systems at the Family Dollar.

Wonder how long before the Total Wireless cards start showing up in physical stores.
    I think Total Wireless is going to be an exclusive Walmart option (like Straight Talk), isn't it? They definitely say "Only at Walmart" when you go to their webpage. As for the BasicTalk ATA, that can -- apparently -- be hacked to work on any other VoIP service. (It's just a Grandstream HT701 with specialized firmware -- so that's a cheap way to get a new ATA.) I didn't know they sold those at Family Dollar. I'll have to check to see if a local store has those available.
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Which is the case with nearly all VZW MVNOs.
    Selectel is unique in offering free Verizon voice roaming and Page Plus at least has it available (for an extra charge). I guess the reason most Verizon MVNOs don't worry about it too much is because Verizon coverage is so wide even without roaming.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    As for the BasicTalk ATA, that can -- apparently -- be hacked to work on any other VoIP service. (It's just a Grandstream HT701 with specialized firmware -- so that's a cheap way to get a new ATA.) I didn't know they sold those at Family Dollar. I'll have to check to see if a local store has those available.
    Family Dollar is selling the BasicTalk machine for just $10. Hard to argue with that price.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Selectel is unique in offering free Verizon voice roaming and Page Plus at least has it available (for an extra charge).
    And those two exhaust the list as far as I know.

Certainly no roaming at all with ST, Net10, TF, or Red Pocket.

And the GSM MVNOs aren't much better. Roaming and MVNOs just don't often mix.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    And the GSM MVNOs aren't much better. Roaming and MVNOs just don't often mix.
    I'm surprised sometimes at the ones who do roam -- like Target's BrightSpot and Ting. Even RingPlus gives you the option to roam (at an extra cost).

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wanted to take advantage of the extra talk, text and data for only $5 more. My phone showed up as in their system, but gave me an error when I tried to proceed. I called the number listed and attempted to port and activate service on Total Wireless this morning. I completely forgot my Moto E I am currently using on Selectel is a Straight Talk phone, so Total Wireless wouldn't activate it. They tried to transfer me to Straight Talk, but I hung up. Oh well.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRE063 View Post
    I wanted to take advantage of the extra talk, text and data for only $5 more. My phone showed up as in their system, but gave me an error when I tried to proceed. I called the number listed and attempted to port and activate service on Total Wireless this morning. I completely forgot my Moto E I am currently using on Selectel is a Straight Talk phone, so Total Wireless wouldn't activate it. They tried to transfer me to Straight Talk, but I hung up. Oh well.
    I am starting to think that "in their system" is a generic term for currently activated with another service. If you have it currently activated on Selectel then the device is going to show active in some form. The device needs to be deactivated from the current service in order to BYOD. Total would not know the true status of the device until the number was ported out and/or the account with Selectel closed.

Did you ever have the device active with ST prior to BYOD with Selectel?

The only real way to know would be to port out and make sure Selectel fully deactivates the device and check the ESN with Total.
    Problem with activating a America Movil device on one of their subs is whether you can then get it deactivated and BYOd out side of America Movil? In your case you may not be able to bring it back to Selectel once you activate it with Total.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Brightspot roams?

I'm surprised sometimes at the ones who do roam -- like Target's BrightSpot and Ting.
    Are you saying Brightspot uses T-Mobile's full postpaid network?
    Or are you saying something else when you say Brightspot 'roams'?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Looks like voice and text roaming, even internationally (higher rates apply).
    But no data roaming.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    For voice it looks like the map is the same as for T-Mobile's full postpaid network. It appears it's like Selectel with Verizon -- only voice in the "extended" areas.

Feedback Score
    On the TW website I saw the option to BYOP by checking compatibility via the phone's IMEI. Most of the unused cdma phones I had were not compatible, however the last device I tried (LG Fuel for Tracfone) came back stating "ESN already in inventory"... what does that mean?? I bought the Fuel new on a BF sale in Nov. and it's never been activated on any service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    On the TW website I saw the option to BYOP by checking compatibility via the phone's IMEI. Most of the unused cdma phones I had were not compatible, however the last device I tried (LG Fuel for Tracfone) came back stating "ESN already in inventory"... what does that mean?? I bought the Fuel new on a BF sale in Nov. and it's never been activated on any service.
    It's not a BYOP AFATC - listed as one of theirs already, should be good to go.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast