Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless: América Móvil's Verizon-based Brand

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PWNM1 View Post
    Can anyone tell if the moto e available on Total Wireless is Generation 1 or 2?

Does Android 4.4 instead of 5.0, and the 4.3" screen instead of 4.5" mean it's Gen 1?
    The listed specs (dual-core processor, plus, as you noted, KitKat, 4.3" screen, etc.) and the phone image (second gen got rid of the lower grill bar) all point to first gen Moto E. Plus, it doesn't sound like you can activate a 4G phone on TW.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    The listed specs (dual-core processor, plus, as you noted, KitKat, 4.3" screen, etc.) and the phone image (second gen got rid of the lower grill bar) all point to first gen Moto E. Plus, it doesn't sound like you can activate a 4G phone on TW.
    Kinda what I thought, but I read that the Gen 2 was available as 3G as well as LTE.

A bit off topic: Do the Motorola's have a top reputation for pulling in a signal in a fringe rural area?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PWNM1 View Post
    Kinda what I thought, but I read that the Gen 2 was available as 3G as well as LTE.

A bit off topic: Do the Motorola's have a top reputation for pulling in a signal in a fringe rural area?
    I didn't know about the 3G Moto E variant -- thanks for the heads up. (With that said, I imagine that the 3G version will look like the 4G version in the outside? The Moto E on the TW website looks just like the first gen model.)

This is a little dated (9/2014) and not quite your question, but this thread seems to suggest that Motorola has a good reputation for signal reception:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1845024

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    Carlos is all over Walgreens. When I was at Walgreens today, I saw phone cards for the following companies: GoPhone, Boost, Paylo, Virgin, T-Mobile, Verizon, ReadyMobile, and a whole lot of Carlos: TracFone, Net10, SimpleMobile, Page Plus, and even some TelCel or TelCel-like brands, but I didn't see his Straight Talk or SafeLink brands there, but everything else.
    Walmart is the exclusive retailer for Straight Talk so you won't see it anywhere else. Safelink uses Tracfone cards but none of the other AM company cards. Not Net10 or Straight Talk, etc, just Tracfone cards.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Walmart is the exclusive retailer for Straight Talk so you won't see it anywhere else. Safelink uses Tracfone cards but none of the other AM company cards. Not Net10 or Straight Talk, etc, just Tracfone cards.
    Thanks. Would you happen to know if Net10 was ever an independent company like Page Plus and Simple Mobile before TracFone/A.M. bought them? Or was Net10 always part of TracFone, like S.T., Total Wireless and SafeLink?
    Last edited by roncomatic; 03-07-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Do you know if Net10 was ever an independent company like Page Plus and Simple Mobile before TracFone/A.M. bought them? Or was Net10 always part of TracFone, like Total Wireless and SafeLink?
    TracFone was originally started in 1999 as Topp Telecom in Miami. TelMex bought 55% of the company. They changed the name to TracFone when TelMex spun out the wireless services as América Móvil in 2000 (later AM bought TelMex)

Net10, Straight Talk, and Telcel América were started by AM.
    SafeLink was started in 2008 as part of the federal Life Line program.
    (the USF pays the same for cell service or land line, $9.25 per household. Difference is, it covers the full cost of a cell phone while landlines usually run over $20/mo)

Simple Mobile (started in 2009) and Page Plus (started in 1993 selling pager service, moving to cellular in 1998) were independent and bought by TF in 2012 and 2013.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Net10, Straight Talk, and Telcel América were started by AM.
    Thanks. Surprised to hear Net10 was never independent of TracFone/A.M.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Surprised to hear Net10 was never independent of TracFone/A.M.
    Well, I was a TF customer at the time, so I remember trying to decide if I should switch.
    Here's an old announcement, from the launch back in 2005.
    http://www.telecompaper.com/news/net...ervice--479235

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I had Net10 for a few months back when Apple's iphone was first beginning to clog AT&T's towers, causing lots of dropped calls on my Net10 phone. It was kind of funny: I remember consumer reporter Clark Howard saying AT&T is not a serious company.

Feedback Score
    @HansCT: “BYOP AFATC”. What does AFATC stand for? Sorry, I don't know that one.

@ButcheeyBoy: Did you BYOD or buy one from TW? If BYOD then which phone?? I'm just curious, thanks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    @HansCT: “BYOP AFATC”. What does AFATC stand for? Sorry, I don't know that one.
    As Far As They Care ?

The point was that a TF device was not BYOD, it's already in the system.
    We've seen the same trying to use ST or NT devices on TF.

I don't think TW will activate a sister company device.

@ButcheeyBoy: Did you BYOD or buy one from TW? If BYOD then which phone?? I'm just curious, thanks.
    I assumed he meant the iPhone 4S he mentioned in post 44
    That's also the only device he lists in his profile (right side of the screen), and it current says he's on TW with it.

Feedback Score
    Are flashed Vzn phones allowed on Total wireless? My Verizon Samsung S4 has been flashed to 3G, Total's price is very nice, especially if my 4 family members can all get on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by upfisk View Post
    Are flashed Vzn phones allowed on Total wireless? My Verizon Samsung S4 has been flashed to 3G, Total's price is very nice, especially if my 4 family members can all get on it.
    only clean esn 3g verizon postpaid devices are allowed. 4g Verizon phones won't. activate flashed or not.

Feedback Score
    It would have been nice if they would have offered GSM, with my OPO it's cherry on the top of ice-cream !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    It's not a BYOP AFATC - listed as one of theirs already, should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    What does AFATC stand for? Sorry, I don't know that one.
    As far as they're concerned. More usually AFAIC.

And looks like I was wrong, the message was indicating inability to activate, I thought it just meant they considered it a TF-native device which IMO so they should but . . .

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast