Thread: Bring on the Huawei Nexus!

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile, Koodo, WIND Mobile, Fido
    Feedback Score

Post Bring on the Huawei Nexus!

Name:  huawei-logo.png
Views: 226
Size:  515.3 KB

Can I tell you how long I've longed for a smartphone from Huawei with an unlockable bootloader?

Every winter when my girlfriend and I visit Hong Kong someone at a phone shop invariably tries to sell me on the latest from this Chinese OEM. And why not? Their "Ascend P" line of sleek, metal and glass smartphones are gorgeous. And phablets? Son, Huawei was doing 6 inch phones long before 6 inch phones were even a thing.

The company's no slouch when it comes to moving hardware, either. In his final numbers for 2014 Tomi Ahonen ranked Huawei 4th in sales worldwide with 75 million units shipped, ahead of Xiaomi at 61.1 million.

The bad news, as is the case with most Android OEMs, is that the stock ROM on their products is crap. Huawei calls theirs Emotion UI, and most reviews I read of Huawei products—at least from the Western tech press—have nothing good to say about it.

So you can imagine how thrilled I was to read this bit of news on GizmoChina:

Kevin Yang, the Director of China Research at iSuppli, a leading market research firm, confirmed on Weibo earlier today that Google has indeed chosen Huawei as the next Nexus maker.
    Hot damn!

That article goes on to mention that LG has also been tapped for a new Nexus device. LG's Nexus might end up being a tablet, or it's also entirely possible that there will be two Nexus phones this year—a high-end phablet from LG and a more compact and affordable phone from Huawei. Either way, as far as I'm concerned, the more unlockable bootloaders there are out there, the better. To be fair, you can already unlock the bootloaders on some Huawei devices, but I don't see any of their high-end products in the drop-down list here.

If a Huawei Nexus ends up shipping before the end of 2015 I'll take it as proof of what I've always suspected, that the Nexus 6 is a flop. Maybe they'll codename this one "apology".
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    If a Huawei Nexus ends up shipping before the end of 2015 I'll take it as proof of what I've always suspected, that the Nexus 6 is a flop. Maybe they'll codename this one "apology".
    Maybe one day the Nexus 6 will make it into popular vernacular.

"When Fonzi jumped of the shark he really Nexus Sixed it".

Maybe.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I used the Nexus 6 for a month or so and had to get rid of it. Too damn big and for the size Google doesn't add anything special like other manufacturers do for phablets. Its just a big *** phone.

I've had multiple Nexus devices over the years and honestly I don't know if I want another one. I don't necessarily want a skin on Android but many manufacturers actually add features that make Android a lot better. For example Motorola adds very useful features without going over the top. Meanwhile Samsung goes over the top but again adds some useful features, especially for professionals. Samsung's added security allows me to use any of their devices for corporate Exchange while Nexus devices require I install AirWatch and Touchdown. No thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile, Koodo, WIND Mobile, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thank you both for your comments. I honestly have nothing of value to add them at the moment, so instead here's another post about Huawei that I couldn't cram into today's news...

Huawei: A Giant the Western World Should Look Out For

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Maybe one day the Nexus 6 will make it into popular vernacular.

"When Fonzi jumped of the shark he really Nexus Sixed it".

Maybe.
    The replicants in Blade Runner were model Nexus 6.

Have lived in many different cities throughout the US, mostly West Coast, East Coast, and South
    Device(s)
    Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 4, Honor 5X; ZTE ZMax Pro; Moto X, E; Galaxy S6; iPhone 6 Plus, 4; Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Haha! Tried them all, you name it, most likely I've tried it
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Thank you both for your comments. I honestly have nothing of value to add them at the moment, so instead here's another post about Huawei that I couldn't cram into today's news...

Huawei: A Giant the Western World Should Look Out For
    Very interesting post. Huawei's declaration that all of their new USA-destined phones will be pure stock android will bring some good competition to the market.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I kind of like the Nexus 6...I would own one if A) I wasn't cheap B) My Nexus 4 wasn't still in perfect condition.

I don't know about Huawei....I have virtually no experience.....but it just seems cheap. Maybe I'm wrong or I've only looked at the garbage they sell through Straight Talk, but do they really make a high quality product?

I wonder why they aren't sticking with Motorola for a second phone.
    Nexus 6 - 64 GB - Midnight Blue
    Nexus 4 - 16 GB - Black
    Nexus 9 - 32 GB - Black
    And my first: Samsung Galaxy Craptivate.

Device(s)
    Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bjacks12 View Post

I wonder why they aren't sticking with Motorola for a second phone.
    I am guessing it's cause they sold Motorola to Lenovo.
    Last edited by ijcy; 03-20-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    Phones using: Xiaomi mi A1,testing Meiigoo S8,wife using LG G6, son and daughter usingXiaomi Redmi note 4 snapdragon ed.

Feedback Score
    Google likes to rotate the Nexus honor, helps up the game of the 'annointee', builds their bonds across the industry. Their Moto-bonds with Lenovo are pretty strong already 8-)

The Moto Maxx really should have been Nexus 6 instead of this huge phablet, silly to just follow Apple's 6+ lead just based on (IMO over-) sizing.