Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: DISCUSSION: Tracfone BYOP 4G LTE / 3G Confirmed Phone List Support and Tips

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    B2. LTE - anything goes it seems
    It had to support Verizon's LTE bands and CDMA for voice/SMS.
    Also has to be in the Verizon database to register/activate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    It had to support Verizon's LTE bands and CDMA for voice/SMS.
    Also has to be in the Verizon database to register/activate.
    Which is why I made both B1 and B2 as categorized under:

B. BYOP, VZW-branded
    I suppose there might be a couple unbranded phones on the high end that work on Verizon? My understanding is that may be a set of one though, and that's only IF they have/can put the IMEI in their database.

C. Nexus 6

since iPhone 6/6+ has the radios crippled except on the branded one?

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bliabraaten View Post
    HELP! I see here you have the iphone 5s listed on your list of accepted phones from tracfone. My mother was kind enough to buy me a used Verizon 5s from gazelle, but when I enter the MEID and zipcode to check compatibility I get a message "We are unable to complete your transaction at this time, please call customer service...". I'm afraid that this means I have a phone that is not compatible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    The new BYOP activation/compatibility check page is:

https://www.tracfone.com/byop_cdma/index.jsp

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I missed the hierarchy...

Which is why I made both B1 and B2 as categorized under:
    B. BYOP, VZW-branded
    In that case, the no prepaid limit applies for direct activation. The system will reject pre-paid devices.
    (Aging requirements are unclear for LTE devices)

I suppose there might be a couple unbranded phones on the high end that work on Verizon? My understanding is that may be a set of one though, and that's only IF they have/can put the IMEI in their database.

That Verizon database is the biggest limiting factor. It would be possible for other devices to have the hardware/software but it won't be accepted by Verizon. So why both building/selling such devices?

No Apple devices have carrier branding. The iPhone 6/6+ supposedly will fully function if you have an active SIM (it will update the software as needed). But only those sold for use on Verizon are in the database for activation purposes.

I don't have a clue about hardware/software support on the current HTC or Motorola devices. But the same database restrictions would apply for activation.

I believe Samsung is still producing different hardware variants so the "GSM" phones don't have the CDMA hardware at all.

Feedback Score
    In that case, the no prepaid limit applies for direct activation.
    Sorry no idea what the above means.

That Verizon database is the biggest limiting factor. It would be possible for other devices to have the hardware/software but it won't be accepted by Verizon. So why both building/selling such devices?
    I guess you meant "bother"? Obviously VZW prepaid's intention is to recover their subsidy before allowing the handset to be used elsewhere, even on their own post-paid!

I'm thinking LTE devices are only being checked against the blacklist. What sort of LTE handsets are sold by VZW prepaid? Anyone been denied yet?

No Apple devices have carrier branding. The iPhone 6/6+ supposedly will fully function if you have an active SIM (it will update the software as needed). But only those sold for use on Verizon are in the database for activation purposes.
    Well not branding so much but "the Verizon version" is still required, apparently the GSM carrier versions have crippled the CDMA radios and then also as you say the database issue won't allow the Sprint one to work.

So it looks like I'm right, if there is a "C" category, it only contains "Nexus 6" at this point?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    In that case, the no prepaid limit applies for direct activation.
    Sorry no idea what the above means.
    It means that the LTE pre-paid devices have the same restrictions as the 3G devices.

Pretty sure someone ran the ESN of one in the other thread. Granted it worked with an already active SIM, but we're talking about devices you can activate directly.

Well not branding so much but "the Verizon version" is still required, apparently the GSM carrier versions have crippled the CDMA radios and then also as you say the database issue won't allow the Sprint one to work.

So it looks like I'm right, if there is a "C" category, it only contains "Nexus 6" at this point?
    The unlcked GSM versions of the iPhone 6/+ will download alternate software to enable the CDMA radios so that a SIM swap will work. But correct, Verizon won't allow direct activation. (Based on research over the last few months)

I've never really followed the Nexus line so I cannot comment on how the N6 is handled. I vaguely recall issues with earlier variants, but I never followed it. A quick search finds this though http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03...m-the-carrier/

Feedback Score
    Anyone tried putting an active Tracfone LTE Sim in a GSM unlocked phone? GSMs go for alot cheaper than CDMAs.....

Feedback Score
    It means that the LTE pre-paid devices have the same restrictions as the 3G devices.

Pretty sure someone ran the ESN of one in the other thread. Granted it worked with an already active SIM, but we're talking about devices you can activate directly.

The unlcked GSM versions of the iPhone 6/+ will download alternate software to enable the CDMA radios so that a SIM swap will work. But correct, Verizon won't allow direct activation. (Based on research over the last few months)

I've never really followed the Nexus line so I cannot comment on how the N6 is handled. I vaguely recall issues with earlier variants, but I never followed it. A quick search finds this though http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03...m-the-carrier/
    Wow they really are clueless, arrogant or both. Unless they are actually looking to make money from selling phones more than acquiring customers. Being the only carrier with that policy makes me consider buying VZW versions of flagships even for activation on ATT, because that gives me the greatest flexibility. But that probably won't work out for T-Mobile.

Sigh. I really wish the FCC would kick the carriers out of the handset biz entirely.

So by "activate directly" you mean as opposed to the SIM-swap method?

And I'm not convinced on the LTE-same-restrictions-as-other-prepaid. I guess first we need to figure out what LTE phones are actually being sold as prepaid. . .

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So by "activate directly" you mean as opposed to the SIM-swap method?
    Yes, as in you give TF the MEID/IMEI and they accept it.

And I'm not convinced on the LTE-same-restrictions-as-other-prepaid. I guess first we need to figure out what LTE phones are actually being sold as prepaid. . .
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/prepa...rtphone-plans/

Moto Luge (rebranded RARZ M)
    New version of the Moto E
    LG Transpyre
    Galaxy Core Prime, S4 and S4 mini

The Droid TURBO, iPhone 6, and Nexus 6 are listed there but no discount v/s full price non-prepaid so it may not be flagged as prepaid(I wouldn't count on it though)

Being the only carrier with that policy makes me consider buying VZW versions of flagships even for activation on ATT, because that gives me the greatest flexibility. But that probably won't work out for T-Mobile.
    For LTE devices, that's been the most flexible route. Due to the FCC agreement the Verizon phones are sold unlocked and can be activated on the GSM carriers (though often only get 4G/HSPA+ not LTE due to hardware).
    Sprint is the worst of the buch, no way to bring non-SPrint devices and nearly impossibl to take elsewhere (locked and they won't unlock)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themotoman View Post
    Anyone tried putting an active Tracfone LTE Sim in a GSM unlocked phone? GSMs go for alot cheaper than CDMAs.....
    Generally you would only get LTE data. No voice and no SMS.
    The GSM phones generally don't have the hardware for CDMA use (and if they do, it's disabled in software)

Feedback Score
    I haven't thought of changing to a 4g LTE phone yet, but may in the future. Just wanted to make sure I have it straight. Is the process for compatibility the same for 4g LTE as it is for 3g? Thanks for your help.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twow View Post
    Is the process for compatibility the same for 4g LTE as it is for 3g? Thanks for your help.
    Pretty much. The main difference so far is that you can activate new phone while the 3G devices all had to be used.

Feedback Score
    Well the "process" is the same in the sense you enter an ESN and they say yes or no.

With LTE devices you put in the IMEI (GSM), 3G you put in the MEID (CDMA).

What ST Dog and I are discussing is whether or not the LTE devices subsidized from VZW's prepaid program need to be "aged" on the NZW's prepaid service (a few months anyway, in some cases a full six?) before being allowed to activate on Tracfone.

I'm thinking not, ST Dog's seems to think yes.

Maybe we should bet on it, but this time I'll need odds 8-)

Feedback Score
    Pretty much. The main difference so far is that you can activate new phone while the 3G devices all had to be used.
    Actually VZW CS told me as long as you pay full retail, a new phone is whitelisted for postpaid, pre-paid or MVNOs. But I bet you need a 1 clueful and 2 helpful staffer to be sure that actually gets done right.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Actually VZW CS told me as long as you pay full retail, a new phone is whitelisted for postpaid, pre-paid or MVNOs. But I bet you need a 1 clueful and 2 helpful staffer to be sure that actually gets done right.
    There were many reports of people with new 3G devices that couldn't be activated. If you go back through the 3G BYOD thread you'll find them. There was one or two early successes then later no luck. Only devices that were used (and had been on Verizon) could be activated.

Granted, finding a truly new 3G device is not easy. When one of those is located it's hard to say whether one is "paying full retail" since it's not being sold by Verizon by that point. I guess it's possibl that the failures were due to devices marked as subsidized prior to entering the 3rd party market.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast