Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DUAL SIM card phone (ACTIVE DUAL SIM!!)

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Blu phones you can get them on Amazon dual sim us warranty
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    I can do what I've done before. Get a pic of both phones and the measurements and just resized them in Corel Draw and print them out for comparison. Not the same thing as looking in a store but then, some have thicker frames so to speak so that may not be accurate.

So, maybe I should just skip the dual sim option and go for a regular phone that has the features I want?

I know people like you Dennis. I know this chick that's always on the phone (texting mostly). I hid her phone once for about two minutes, I thought she was gonna have a **** fit. Like one of the local crack heads

I can't stand doing stuff on the phones (and by the way, NO offense to you, I just hate'em). Everything's too small, websites look like **** on the phones, nothing is normal. Ooo, I can't stand them things.

I make a quick call or receive a call and that's it. When I had the hands free up and running in my truck,
    it was different but nope, I just want to make calls...occasionally
    Help a friend who might soon be homeless: https://www.gofundme.com/soonHomeless

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    Blu phones you can get them on Amazon dual sim us warranty
    Thanks. Any idea if any models match my OTHER specs?

George

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    I can do what I've done before. Get a pic of both phones and the measurements and just resized them in Corel Draw and print them out for comparison. Not the same thing as looking in a store but then, some have thicker frames so to speak so that may not be accurate.

So, maybe I should just skip the dual sim option and go for a regular phone that has the features I want?

I know people like you Dennis. I know this chick that's always on the phone (texting mostly). I hid her phone once for about two minutes, I thought she was gonna have a **** fit. Like one of the local crack heads

I can't stand doing stuff on the phones (and by the way, NO offense to you, I just hate'em). Everything's too small, websites look like **** on the phones, nothing is normal. Ooo, I can't stand them things.

I make a quick call or receive a call and that's it. When I had the hands free up and running in my truck,
    it was different but nope, I just want to make calls...occasionally
    I would go with single SIM, cheaper and you can get a US warrantee.

I've learned to love my phone, all my stiff stays with me, and since I work for the Navy I travel a lot so it's nice to have a truly probable computer

Feedback Score
    Yeah for people that really need it, I understand it. I just can't stand doing anything but making
    calls on them things. I'm too used to my 27" puter screen with 2560x1440 resolution.
    I go on someone else's computer and I freak out

If I go with a single sim, I should be able to find something dirt cheap or even used
    with my requirements? Or...?

You guys tell me? I have no idea if my OTHER requirements are anything special...I would think they're not but maybe I'm wrong.

(Hey, if I'm slow to respond from now on, it's 'cause I've been up all night and I may pass out/take a nap in a bit but I'll be back.)

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Yeah for people that really need it, I understand it. I just can't stand doing anything but making
    calls on them things. I'm too used to my 27" puter screen with 2560x1440 resolution.
    I go on someone else's computer and I freak out

If I go with a single sim, I should be able to find something dirt cheap or even used
    with my requirements? Or...?

You guys tell me? I have no idea if my OTHER requirements are anything special...I would think they're not but maybe I'm wrong.

(Hey, if I'm slow to respond from now on, it's 'cause I've been up all night and I may pass out/take a nap in a bit but I'll be back.)
    You can find used phones, they won't have warranties usually though. Swappa.com would be a great place to start for used phones. Another idea would be refurbished phones.

Some ideas I see:
    S3 mini 4 inch screen:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00INE...dHL&ref=plSrch

Moto e with 4.5 inch screen.
    http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphon...e-2nd-gen.html

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I can always start looking for the right price but still have to figure out which phone/s has/have the features that I want.

I know some of the stuff is not even going to be specified unless I start digging like the predictive dialing, ability to enlarge the fonts and when I look at any site at the specs on any of these phones, the info is very limited

Feedback Score
    Ok, I made a size comparison that should be accurate to a few mm's and it has the nexus and the other two phones you linked to and as more phones come up, I'll upload them in size order. I think the Moto E might be a bit too big for me but hey, this is only the first day of looking

http://www.extuff.biz/images/Cellpho...March-2015.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I can always start looking for the right price but still have to figure out which phone/s has/have the features that I want.

I know some of the stuff is not even going to be specified unless I start digging like the predictive dialing, ability to enlarge the fonts and when I look at any site at the specs on any of these phones, the info is very limited
    Most of what you want will be there, only things are text sizing (you'd have to ask in devices forums) that are out of the normal "must have". Find a few devices you like based on what you can see for specs and price then time to do the google searches to find the obscure information.

Feedback Score
    Well, I think the font is standard on android these days (or at least the higher versions).

The problem with the other stuff is that I don't see any specs that have that stuff listed.
    So far I haven't seen one that listed voice dialing for instance. That's a phone thing and
    not a hands free (in my truck) option, right? I want it for the truck. I used to have
    hands free and although I talked more on the phone then (prolly because of the hands free),
    I miss it.

Anyway, that's why I thought that phone finder feature was great but of course, it didn't find
    any phones and like I said, most of the options, I left the I DON'T CARE option which should really
    have given me lots of choices but maybe that thing is not updated.

For size, that samsung looks about right. I mean, anything will have a better touch sensitivity than the
    nexus one but I would like to make sure I have the features I want in order not to be pissed off
    for another 5 years

The Nexus worked out fine for me with the only exception being the touch sensitivity so no complains there
    and by the way, in those days it was around $700 without contract...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just about every modern cell phone comes with Bluetooth hands free.. as long as your truck has Bluetooth then you'll be fine.
    Personal bests:

Sprint // $70 Unlimited + iPhone Forever
    Apple iPhone 6s (Sprint)

[Formerly] Verizon Wireless // More Everything™ 10GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW) | Motorola DROID RAZR M
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1119949246.png
    T-Mobile // Simple Choice Prepaid Unlimited
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW)
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1146406371.png

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Folstein View Post
    Just about every modern cell phone comes with Bluetooth hands free.. as long as your truck has Bluetooth then you'll be fine.
    So (and I don't want to get boring here repeating myself so don't take offense guys), how do I KNOW this ahead of time? In some cases I can buy a phone and return without a restocking fee but even if I do find that option, I can't test all the features right up front because I have nothing in my truck to test it in right now so I would like to know up front IF all the features ARE available and like I said, it's not like they have an abundance of specs on most sites.

Researching a couple of phones in more detail is no problem but at this point, I prolly have a *hitload of choices since I'm skipping the dual sim option...

Also, what about the voice dial option?

Here's the thing. Years ago when I bought the Nexus One, I got it from Negrielectronics when Ryan Negri owned it and his service was awesome. I told him what I wanted and he matched me up with a phone and yes, it matched my requirements.

However, he has sold the company since and not only do I think that it seems that the service got worse after he sold it, I seem to have a hard time getting to the site, thinking they might have closed up shop.

So, does anyone know of a company like that, that has a huge selection AND good service where I could perhaps call or email and see if they can match me up with a phone?

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Bluetooth is in literally every smartphone. I only said most at first because there are always exceptions to things. If your truck has Bluetooth hands free then your phone will work with it. If not then there are 3rd party hands free devices out there to do the same.

Voice dialing... You can do this in Google Now. Either say "OK Google" or hold the home button down to activate and say "Dial ". You can also use this for Google searches and directions, and weather and more. It's Android's version of Siri. It's not mentioned because it's a software feature that isn't really remarkable.

Now for buying phones, you could probably go to like Best Buy Mobile or a carrier store and test out phones. I think AT&T might still carry the S3 Mini or at least the S4 mini which wasn't significantly different. Or perhaps a local phone store, idk what's in your area.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Voice dialing through google would be only if you're online though, right?

I AT&T and the others in my area and I'll print out the list and go and ask them but I'm betting (any takers) that there won't be a single person in the store that will be able to answer whether any of the phones have all the features. Mind you, this is from experience
    and the reason I am a member of so many forums.

Of course, this was easier years ago when I bought my first cellphone (Motorola Micro Tac) for around $4000 when I lived in Sweden.

Weren't a whole lot of options then...things have changed

George

Feedback Score
    I got a BLU Studio 5.0 C HD from Amazon about a month ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I first used a dual-SIM phone with the BLU Advance 4.0. I got the Advance a while back because I wanted to see how dual-SIM would work in practice and I could get an Advance for about $60. I would not suggest the Advance for you it's too underpowered. However it was a great, inexpensive phone for learning about how dual-SIM phones worked. At least BLU phones.

To start off with some background: I was looking to use a dual SIM phone so I could pair a paygo SIM for cheap voice/texts with a cheap data-only SIM (like the Redpocket $5/512MB plan). I'm not a particularly heavy phone or data user, so I didn't wnat to have to pay $40 a month, but I did want something that would be available whenever I did want/need to use it. The dual-SIM aspect worked great. However, the Advance was a bit underpowered, even for my rather light use. I did experiment with two voice SIMs in it, and I had no problem with the dual-standby configuration - calls could come in on either SIM, and I could easily make calls on either SIM. The "standby" part of the dual SIM specs means that when one SIM is actively in use (ie., in a call), the other SIM is off-line and unavailable. This does mean that while I'm in a phone call I can't do anything that requires data (unless I'm connected to Wifi). That's because my data plan is on the other SIM. This has been absolutely no problem for me in practice.

So I moved up to the BLU Studio 5.0 C HD. At $120 I think it's a very good deal.

First, the drawbacks to the Studio 5.0 C HD:

- no LTE (but it does support both AT&T's and T-Mobile's HSPA+ bands)
    - no oleophobic coating on the screen so it accumulates fingerprints and smudges. This was true of the back cover of the Advance as well - the Studio's back doesn't seem to have this problem. The fingerprint problems on the screen is solved by using a screen protector. Both phones come with both a screen protector and a 'gel' case, so the smudge problem isn't huge if you're OK with those things.
    - I believe that the screen is not scratch-resistant. I'm not saying this because I had a problem with scratches, but because I haven't seen BLU advertise anything about the screen being scratch resistant. Therefore I'm pretty sure it's not Gorilla Glass, for example. I strongly suggest using a screen protector (which also solves the fingerprint problem). Fortunately, BLU provides one with the phone (probably because it really needs it).
    - the camera isn't great, but it's fine for my uses. And it's far better than the camera on the Advance.
    - BLU has about 15 "Studio" models, and they all have *very* different specs. You have to be really careful which model you're getting. For example, the 5.0 C HD that I bought on Amazon has 8GB of flash, while all other 5.0 C HD models I have seen (and the specs on BLU's website) only indicate that the 5.0 C HD has 4GB of flash. So if you decide to get this phone, get the 8GB model from Amazon - and still be careful, because there are 4GB models for sale on Amazon, and they can cost more than the 8GB model!

To cover your points:

1. I have no problems with touch sensitivity.
    2. I have not had a problem with sound quality.
    3. Android version 4.4.2. As far as predictive dialing goes, when I punch in numbers, it shows a list of contacts that match those numbers, either by the alphabetic values of the keys or if those digits are in any of the contact's phone numbers. It will also bring up in the list any previously dialed numbers (incoming or outgoing) that match, even if those numbers aren't in my contacts. I thought that all Android phones did this - not just newer versions.

4. There is a "Large Text" option in the settings. Personally I don't have a problem with the default size. Enabling large text did make the text somewhat larger, but it didn't seem to make a big difference in readability to me.
    5. As I said, the camera isn't great, but it's far better than my previous phone's (the BLU Advance 4.0)
    6. I find the BLU Studio 5.0 C HD's screen to be the perfect size. The Advance 4.0's screen was a bit too small.

7. This has all of the non-LTE bands you'd need in North America, and all four of the 2G bands you'd need for voice/text nearly anywhere in the world. I'm not sure how the HSPA+ data access would fare worldwide.
    8. WiFi is supported, though to be honest I do have to switch it off and back on sometimes to get connected. I did not have to do that with my Advance - I'm hoping that some update to the Studio will fix that problem. There is a recent update that I haven't yet installed because I have rooted the phone and I want to make sure I can keep root across the update.
    9. Bluetooth is supported. I have not used this extensively.

10. I don't send picture messages, but as far as I know, MMS is supported by the phone (but it's not supported by my paygo plan).
    11. 720x1280 resolution screen. I'm very happy with it.
    12. It's a quad core CPU with 1GB RAM. However the CPU is a MediaTek, so it's not up to par with some of the others. Still, it's plenty fast for my use, and much, much faster than the Advance 4.0 (I think that's mainly because the Advance has only 512MB of RAM). I don't play games except for casual time killers, so the only thing the CPU needs to do is ensure that it's responsive to my touches, and it does well enough for that.

13. It's 4G capable as far as HSPA+ - not LTE. I get about 4mbps with my T-Mobile service. My wife's LTE phone gets about 90mbps(!). However, for my basic data needs, 4mbps is great.
    14. It supports being used as a hotspot, though I haven't tried that feature.
    15. I haven't messed with custom ringtones, but the contacts app lets me use any installed file manager to associate a ringtone with a contact and the "Audio profiles" part of the Settings app lets me do the same for the default ringtone (each SIM gets it's own default ringtone). I assume that any audio file will work, but I haven't tried it.

16. GPS is supported, and I use it all the time in the maps app.
    17. I don't know anything about voice dialing.
    18. It has a 1 year warranty (6 months on the battery). I'm not sure how well the warranty is backed. So far, I haven't needed warranty, or any, support from BLU for the Studio (only one month of use) or the Advance (about 6 months - bought used on eBay).
    19. Multitouch is supported.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast