Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DUAL SIM card phone (ACTIVE DUAL SIM!!)

Feedback Score
    mwb1100, first thanks for the detailed reply.

Second, if the specs I'm getting (measurements) are correct, than that phone is way
    too big for what I want to carry and the main reason is, I don't need it and I don't have
    pockets that will handle it.

So let me ask you about the advance 4.
    When you said it was underpowered for me, I would like to know why.

I don't do games, barely have any apps running, don't do video and all that.
    I really only make phone calls, never really surf and when I do, it will be VERY LITTLE
    as these screens are too small and I don't have the patience to do it from devices like that.

The same thing with the 4gb or 8gb flash. Most of these will have some kind of card storage won't they
    or will I need lots of flash memory for apps and actually running the phone? Man, I'm so out of date
    on this phone stuff that I'm not even sure what you're referring to.

As for the text size, I don't think earlier android os's did it. I had to have mine hacked/rooted
    so that I could get an app that would do it for me. NOW they do it. I don't know how big the
    text gets but hopefully if I get a phone, it will be rooted or can be rooted so that if needed, I can
    get the same or a different app to do it.

At 60 bucks for the advance, I could afford to get it, try it and if I didn't like it I could always sell it

LTE, again, not an issue for me as I just need a phone.

The touch sensitivity we talked about is probably normal, it just seems that the Nexus One had that problem
    and mine definitely sucks at that.

As for the screen, the first thing I do is buy screen protector and some case anyway. I have FEW things
    that I've bought WITHOUT that and even my computer screens are usually protected before I start using them

Are you talking about this phone (the advance 4)?
    http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Advance-Un...im+phone+white

The only thing I don't like about this (according to what you said) was the camera quality and I'm thinking
    the phone would be powerful enough for me but again, for that price, I could afford to get it and then maybe
    get something better later on and then, it could be good enough for me.

So, do the rest of the options i wanted apply to the 4 as well?

Thanks

George
    Help a friend who might soon be homeless: https://www.gofundme.com/soonHomeless

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Folstein View Post
    Bluetooth is in literally every smartphone. I only said most at first because there are always exceptions to things. If your truck has Bluetooth hands free then your phone will work with it. If not then there are 3rd party hands free devices out there to do the same.

Voice dialing... You can do this in Google Now. Either say "OK Google" or hold the home button down to activate and say "Dial ". You can also use this for Google searches and directions, and weather and more. It's Android's version of Siri. It's not mentioned because it's a software feature that isn't really remarkable.

Now for buying phones, you could probably go to like Best Buy Mobile or a carrier store and test out phones. I think AT&T might still carry the S3 Mini or at least the S4 mini which wasn't significantly different. Or perhaps a local phone store, idk what's in your area.

Good luck!
    I figured bluetooth would be in everything but I thought since I WANT that, I'd just put it in there, just in case. Hell, you never know

As for going to a local store, there's not much left in my area and I thought today about going into an AT&T store and asking but then I thought, I am not going to get any kind of contract and I don't want them dogging me either so maybe I shouldn't.
    I think there's a cellphone store in one of our local malls...correction, THE mall, we only have one

Any online companies that are huge (on selection) with decent service that anyone knows of (the way NegriElectronics.com was).

Thanks

George

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    So let me ask you about the advance 4.
    I guess I should have said that *I* found it a bit underpowered, and I'm not a person that needs a lot from his smartphone. I think the thing that made me say that I thought it would be underpowered for you is your item about touch sensitivity. I found that with the Advance I'd press something on the GUI and it would take a couple seconds for it to register. Often by the time it took, I would have tried pressing again and that press would register on the next screen (or something like that). One of the more annoying places it would happen is hanging up a call - I'd press to hang up and it would seem like it didn't take, so I'd press again and it would turn out that the hang-up press had been recognized so the second press would call the number again.

I personally found the Advance's 4 inch screen a little bit too cramped for me. The Studio looked surprisingly big to me when I got it, but I've found that it fits in my pocket just fine, and the extra diagonal inch makes a big difference in usability for me.

All that said, I plan on keeping my Advance for a backup phone. I vastly prefer the Studio, but I'm very glad I was able to use the Advance to test how the dual-SIM setup would work out. I'm not sure what it would fetch on eBay if I did sell it, but I'd be a little surprised if I couldn't get $50 for it.

Also - when I got it for $60 that was used on eBay. Your Amazon link is for the phone I'm talking about - $75 is still pretty cheap.

Feedback Score
    Well, the touch sensitivity thing IS the main reason for me wanting a new phone anyway (I thought I'd get everything else too while I'm at it...) so that's out and yes, very cheap but pointless if it won't solve the main problem.

Thanks again

George

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use a 2013 (first gen) dual SIM Moto G. It's very good, and quite compact. Its body is scarcely any larger than older 4" screen phones, but its display is 4.5". The 2nd generation 2014 version has a 5" screen and better external speakers, but is otherwise of similar specs, those being generally "quite good enough, and cheap". Both generations can be had with a dual SIM version, though you might not find one for under $200. I paid $300-ish a year ago for mine. Its dual SIM support works just like you want.

I chose the Moto G among a number of phones that were dual-SIM versions of popular mainstream handsets, not cheap knockoffs. If it were easier to get BLU models here in Canada at the time, I would have also considered them.

One thing that is not at all clear from the specs of most of these dual SIM phones is this: there is no added receiver. They take the existing receivers and divide up their usage among the SIM's. Thus, a 2G/3G phones like the Moto G (and most others, I expect) will have 2G dedicated to one SIM and 3G dedicated to the other. You have to use providers that have suitable support. Here in Canada, Bell/Telus/Virgin/Koodo providers have NO 3G, so I had to toss my original second SIM on Virgin for one on Rogers, which still has 2G.

Feedback Score
    Ian, thanks for the reply and sorry for taking so long to respond.

I wonder if this would work for me in the USA. IF they are 3g and I only have 2g, would that not just mean lower
    speeds or would it not work at all?

I would like the higher speeds but as you may have seen, I mainly intend to use it as a phone and not much else.

Size wise, I like it as it's close to my current Nexus but with bigger screen.

How would I know if I'm getting a 1st generation? By checking the screen size I guess?

Would you mind checking the rest of my requirements and tell me how those match up with this phone?

It seems that I can go with either something cheap like that $75 BLU or and not even worry about if it has
    all the options (if I don't like it, I could always sell it or keep it as a backup) OR, go with something a little more
    expensive.

How is the quality of the camera/pictures?

By the way, do you have the model number for this phone?
    I looked it up and this is what I found but not sure if all the XT1045's are dual sim.
    Found some that do not seem to be dual sim so I wonder if there is an exact model number
    I need to look them up.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mot...l_sim-5978.php

Thanks

George
    Last edited by guiri; 04-05-2015 at 07:16 AM.

Feedback Score
    The dual-SIM Moto G is model XT1033.

I don't have hands-on experience with any dual-SIM phones except BLU, but it seems that from reading the specs on various models that a commonly used setup for SIMs is that one slot will support only the 2G GSM bands (for voice, text, and slow data), while the other SIM slot will support the 2G bands and any 3G/4G bands supported by the phone.

So for voice/text it doesn't matter much which SIM slot you use, but for high speed data it might matter (and if both of your SIMs have plans that support high speed data you might have a choice to make).

I believe that this is the case for the Moto G XT1033, but I'm not sure. Also, my recollection is that the XT1033 had HSPA+ bands that were more suited for use outside of North America (I think India was the main market for this phone). The various sites that list specs seem to give conflicting information, so I'd try to double-check the connectivity supported if you're planning for using it in NA.

Feedback Score
    Dunno if it's already been mentioned, but Ring.to is free, port your seldom-used number to them and forward to your single SIM or to your GV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwb1100 View Post
    The dual-SIM Moto G is model XT1033.

I don't have hands-on experience with any dual-SIM phones except BLU, but it seems that from reading the specs on various models that a commonly used setup for SIMs is that one slot will support only the 2G GSM bands (for voice, text, and slow data), while the other SIM slot will support the 2G bands and any 3G/4G bands supported by the phone.

So for voice/text it doesn't matter much which SIM slot you use, but for high speed data it might matter (and if both of your SIMs have plans that support high speed data you might have a choice to make).

I believe that this is the case for the Moto G XT1033, but I'm not sure. Also, my recollection is that the XT1033 had HSPA+ bands that were more suited for use outside of North America (I think India was the main market for this phone). The various sites that list specs seem to give conflicting information, so I'd try to double-check the connectivity supported if you're planning for using it in NA.

Well, I would only use data on one of the numbers anyway. Too bad all the specs aren't properly listed on sites or this would have been easier to do.

So, what bands should I look for to make sure it works in the USA unless of course, I contact whoever is selling it to confirm?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Dunno if it's already been mentioned, but Ring.to is free, port your seldom-used number to them and forward to your single SIM or to your GV.
    Wasn't mentioned and I've never heard of it but I'm sure others will find the info useful too, thanks.

Feedback Score
    For your use case I think Ring.to just makes tons more sense than messing around with dual SIM phones in the US.

Totally free, a fast port and very reliable service, rock-solid parent company Bandwidth has been in telecom 15 years, manages numbers for Google Voice, Vonage, Skype, among others.

Sign up via Groove IP and when on solid data you can even place outbound VoIP calls using the secondary number.

Feedback Score
    So, what bands should I look for to make sure it works in the USA... ?
    This article is a great resource for that information: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014...-operator.html

Basically, for voice (2G): 850 and 1900 MHz (most Android phones will cover those and 900 and 1800 MHz which are used in other parts of the world)

For 3G/UMTS/HSPA:

T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 MHz, also known as AWS
    AT&T uses 1900 Mhz (T-Mobiles uses this in some areas as well)

For LTE:

T-Mobile uses mainly Band 4 (1700 MHz)
    AT&T uses mainly Band 17 (700 MHz)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    For your use case I think Ring.to just makes tons more sense than messing around with dual SIM phones in the US.

Totally free, a fast port and very reliable service, rock-solid parent company Bandwidth has been in telecom 15 years, manages numbers for Google Voice, Vonage, Skype, among others.

Sign up via Groove IP and when on solid data you can even place outbound VoIP calls using the secondary number.
    Here's a question Hans. IF I used this service and say I was using like I do, TWO different google numbers that are then forwarded to me. Say Number 1 and number 2. If I use this service and both are forwarded to the cellphone. Would I then see IF a call is coming in from 1 or 2 or would it look like they're coming in from ONE place?

THe only reason for the two sims was that I wanted (thinking ahead of time here as right now, I don't even have any calls coming from line 2) to be able to see which line they're calling and perhaps answer accordingly or, since I get a lot of spam calls on line 1, maybe even ignore calls wheres calls on line 2 would be business calls only...

Thanks

George

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwb1100 View Post
    This article is a great resource for that information: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014...-operator.html

Basically, for voice (2G): 850 and 1900 MHz (most Android phones will cover those and 900 and 1800 MHz which are used in other parts of the world)

For 3G/UMTS/HSPA:

T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 MHz, also known as AWS
    AT&T uses 1900 Mhz (T-Mobiles uses this in some areas as well)

For LTE:

T-Mobile uses mainly Band 4 (1700 MHz)
    AT&T uses mainly Band 17 (700 MHz)
    Out of curiosity (and I think H20 is using T-mobile by the way), are there any other networks I need to worry in the USA if I use GSM other than these two?

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity (and I think H20 is using T-mobile by the way), are there any other networks I need to worry in the USA if I use GSM other than these two?
    H2O uses AT&T

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast