Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DUAL SIM card phone (ACTIVE DUAL SIM!!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    You can set the service to display CallerID as either passthrough of the actual caller or the number that's forwarding to you.

Personally I prefer the former, as 90% of my callers are people I deal with regularly (therefore in my contacts, custom ringtones, routed to VM by group and time of day), and it's easy enough to block nuisance/spam calls otherwise, including crowd-sourced data.

Seems to me using the latter for these purposes is too crude, from where you are now get your basic comms issues solved first, then deal with these finer-control issues down the road if/when they arise.

I imagine you suffer from "paralysis by analysis" - when stuff like this is so cheap (in ring.to's case free!) and easy, just try things out and see how you go.

Sorry, I missed this one...

So, no need for dual sim then with this service which will make things a lot easier.

Thanks
    Help a friend who might soon be homeless: https://www.gofundme.com/soonHomeless

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    The odds are slim you'd get someone with the same needs as you who also actually has tried the phone - especially because you are pre-filtering based on the rarest feature which you actually don't even need - the dual SIMs.

Go to other forums specific to the phone(s) you'd like to start with and ask one question at a time, most important first.

In the meantime start bidding on eBay. Soon as you win an auction, stop asking about that model since you'll be able to test yourself. Keep asking about the others while you test phone 1, start bidding on model 2. etc, rinse and repeat until you're all happy.
    Hans, I could go to the phone specific part/forum but hell, I don't even know what phone is suitable.

I tried this phone finder site and although I didn't even specify lots of the stuff, it did not give me ONE single phone
    as an option...

Seriously and I"m not trying to be an **shole but out of the thousands of phone, how do I pick one?
    They all seem to do the same and look the same and I can't very well just go in and bid on a phone.
    I mean, I could and chances are I'd like it better just for the better touch sensitivity. Every phone I've SEEN
    the last few years has better touch sensitivity so that should be a given but I would like to know that the other
    features are there too.

As you can see, I was hoping the built in text size feature would be enough to make it big enough for me but it wasn't.
    So, I still will need an app to make text bigger but I have to start looking at apps now to see if the phone has to be rooted
    in order to make them work. I had to have the nexus rooted in those days to do it.

George

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    It's not Android, but you said you'd only use it as a phone so I thought I'd throw it out there. Dual-SIM Lumias have an option where every time one SIM is active it automatically forwards the other SIM to it. Advantages include:

- Windows runs better on modest hardware than Android

- Windows (as a whole) has drastically better OS upgrade support than Android (as a whole)

- dual-standby w/Auto-forwarding should have better battery life than dual-active, ask other things being equal

- most recent Lumias have a dual-SIM variant with North American frequency support

- Nokia/Microsoft build quality of devices likely beats typical Asian brand fare

- Nokia/Microsoft may be able to help you with warranty even for an import?

- Cost may be an advantage for dual-standby w/Auto-forwarding over dual-active

It's not the for everyone, bit it's food for thought.
    Sent from my Lumia via the HoFo Windows Phone app
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Hans, I could go to the phone specific part/forum but hell, I don't even know what phone is suitable.

I tried this phone finder site and although I didn't even specify lots of the stuff, it did not give me ONE single phone
    as an option...

Seriously and I"m not trying to be an **shole but out of the thousands of phone, how do I pick one?
    They all seem to do the same and look the same and I can't very well just go in and bid on a phone.
    I mean, I could and chances are I'd like it better just for the better touch sensitivity. Every phone I've SEEN
    the last few years has better touch sensitivity so that should be a given but I would like to know that the other
    features are there too.

As you can see, I was hoping the built in text size feature would be enough to make it big enough for me but it wasn't.
    So, I still will need an app to make text bigger but I have to start looking at apps now to see if the phone has to be rooted
    in order to make them work. I had to have the nexus rooted in those days to do it.

George
    My point is that you need to start a new thread, titled appropriately, posted in the right place, possibly for each issue.

e.g "VISION IMPAIRED - large text options?" in a general "looking for phones" forum, like this one but also in others with more traffic as well. Try googling Reddit for example.

The topic of this thread is only going to attract discussion on Dual SIM phones at this point, all your other needs mixed in together with that topic aren't likely to get responses.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I missed this one...

So, no need for dual sim then with this service which will make things a lot easier.
    Yes, focus on the features you actually need, from a much wider pool of choices.

Feedback Score
    I kinda thought of starting a new thread but didn't want the guys that have responded thinking I'm an ungrateful pric*

I went to the local ATT store and looked at a couple of phones and all of them had a large text option with every from extra small to extra large (unlike the chinese phone I looked at the other day). The chick said it was standard on all newer androids and all three were 4.4.2 or 4.4.4

One was a Samsung SM-G800A, one was an LG which of course I forgot to get the model number of and one was HTC610. All three were reasonable in size for me.

I looked at Reddit the other day but never used it so not sure if I should get into that. With my luck I'll post something and won't find it again but I'll check

Thanks

George

Feedback Score
    Starting a new thread for a new topic will never be frowned upon, much better than one going way off from its title topic IMO.

Did you already have a carrier in mind? If ATT, just make sure you buy "unlocked" so you can use on any prepaid MVNO that allows BYOP.

What is your price range?

IMO the best deals at the high end are currently on the Moto X, LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy S3.

As I mentioned, get good at sniping deals on eBay and you can keep your costs below $30 a month, even trying new devices all the time. sometimes even turning a profit.

Feedback Score
    See, the problem when looking on ebay is that even if I find a great deal on a phone, in my mind, I have no idea If they have all the features that I want. I don't see those features as something special and they probably aren't, I'd just like to know when bidding on a phone that it has it all and yes, I've used auctionsniper for years so I'll snipe the hell outta it.

I was told that H20 that I use now is ATT but it's either that or T-mobile. I was happy with both. I want a gsm/sim card option and I can't stand Verizon.
    Also, I won't do Apple.

If I could stay under $200 it would be great and I don't mind a used phone really cheap, like you said, I can always get another one. I should have bid on one in new condition the other day but at the time, I was still thinking DUAL SIM and this wasn't so I let it go. It looked impeccable and still had the warranty.

Hey, the new thread is at http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...2#post15880042 so let's just keep any replies to that one to avoid confusion.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Ring.to ...

By the way, I just went to the ring.to site and checked it out and I cannot use my number that I wanted to use with their service...

https://community.ring.to/docs/DOC-1012

George

Feedback Score
    Addressed the phone quest over there.

Ring.to ...

By the way, I just went to the ring.to site and checked it out and I cannot use my number that I wanted to use with their service...

https://community.ring.to/docs/DOC-1012
    What has that doc got to do with anything? Is your number on GV now? Should not be a problem.

In any case just port to T-Mobile for free or whatever Big-4 you like first and then from there to RingTo.

Or sign up with a more traditional VoIP company (see DSLreports) that has presence in your rate center.

Feedback Score
    It is on google voice and I'm just showing you what it said on their site. I followed the instructions and was told it wouldn't work.

I'm on H20 right now and it's working for me. It's the cheapest I've done and I'm doing a $10 prepaid plan which gives me a few hundred minutes with roll over to 90 days. That's how little I use the phone. Going somewhere else would probably cost me more for something I'm not using.

Feedback Score
    Now I'm really confused. If you know about GV and in fact are using it, Ignore what I said about RingTo, they don't do anything you don't already have on GV?

So why didn't you just bring your other number into that GV account rather than looking for a dual-SIM phone?

Feedback Score
    Because I have TWO GV numbers and I wanted BOTH to be forwarded to the SAME cell phone number (or home number) but GV won't forward TWO different numbers to the same place. UNLESS this has changed since I last tried it 6-12 months ago...

IF they had, I wouldn't even consider complicating my life MORE than it already is. Too many gadgets with too many features to keep track of...

Feedback Score
    Because I have TWO GV numbers and I wanted BOTH to be forwarded to the SAME cell phone number (or home number) but GV won't forward TWO different numbers to the same place. UNLESS this has changed since I last tried it 6-12 months ago...

IF they had, I wouldn't even consider complicating my life MORE than it already is. Too many gadgets with too many features to keep track of...
    You just need to think outside the box, and document everything you to so you can keep track.

Port one to RingTo (via T-mobile if necessary).

or forward from one to a new RingTo #, and from there to wherever you like.

All my GV #s are fronted by RT, but I assume it will work going the other way as well.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I still recommend getting a dual-sim phone so you can use them both if you want and just use one sim if you don't. There are lots of other ways to do things as they have mentioned but as you mentioned, trying to manage it all can be more trouble than its worth if you don't get it right the first time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast