Thread: Band 5 (850MHz) LTE

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score

Band 5 (850MHz) LTE

I was down in the lower mainland of BC (Fraser Valley/Vancouver area) yesterday, and I noticed a few things:

1. Band 5 LTE is EVERYWHERE. From Hope to UBC, there seemed to be Band 5 coverage available all the time. I find this interesting as I have not seen in in my travels around the interior yet (Okanogan Kamloops, Merritt, etc)
    2. Band 17 is deployed, but Band 4 and 5 seem to be preferred. I think it may be because Band 17 is more common on phones, adn therefore more likely to be loaded, but couldn't say for certain.
    3. Band 4 is still the main LTE band (of course) due to the much higher capacity (15+15MHz vs 5+5MHz on Band 5 and Band 17)

Based on how thoroughly deployed Band 5 seemed to be, in the area (along with the reports of Band 2 in the GTA), I would think that by the end of next year, Band 2, 4, 5, and 17 would all be widely deployed across the country, depending on capacity vs coverage needs. Band 7 will obviously be used for capacity purposes as well. Then it will be interesting to see what happens with Band 13, 29, and Telus' 800Mhz (Band 26)

My first sighting of Band 5:
    Name:  IMG_20150328_123453.png
Views: 1419
Size:  65.5 KB

I automatically connected to it:
    Name:  IMG_20150328_123507.png
Views: 1426
Size:  88.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20150328_123513.png
Views: 1442
Size:  78.8 KB

Band 5 and Band 17 both available:
    Name:  IMG_20150328_164749.png
Views: 1344
Size:  63.2 KB

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the report. It'll be nice to see this in the Kelowna area, and would be a very good thing on the 97C connector.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Is that an app you used or was it via the eScreen?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P (Running Chroma / Rooted), Note 3 (Running Stock / Rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Anyone on Bell near these areas to test if they have access to these bands? Or do Bell customers have automatic access?

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    Thanks for the report. It'll be nice to see this in the Kelowna area, and would be a very good thing on the 97C connector.
    I don't think we will notice much difference as Band 17 is already deployed across pretty much their whole LTE footprint in the Okanogan to Kamloops area. An extra 5Mhz band to spread people around to, but that is about it since there is more capacity with Band 4 and even a little better propagation with Band 17.

I would expect Band 17 to be the primary/only LTE band on the connector, although I could see them doing Band 5 to save a little on antennae costs. In any case, it should be complete within 9 months, but I would like to see them fill in the gaps on the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by OntarioGuy View Post
    Is that an app you used or was it via the eScreen?
    That was on eScreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robellustron View Post
    Anyone on Bell near these areas to test if they have access to these bands? Or do Bell customers have automatic access?
    Bell should have access just fine to this Band 5. Next time I head down, I'll see if I can bring along a second phone and SIM to check if nobody else has confirmed by them.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Band 5 started showing up around November in Kits/Fairview. I noticed in my parking lot it would go to band 17 before band 5 deployment. Then it started going to band 5 instead after they deployed it.
    I've mapped a few of them when I had the Nexus 5 a few months back which you can see on CellMapper... Just filter by band on the side.

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    The escreen doesn't seem to work on 10.3.1. You used to be able to two finger swipe up to access the keyboard but that doesn't appear to be working with the new OS.

What OS version are you using?

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Band 5 started showing up around November in Kits/Fairview. I noticed in my parking lot it would go to band 17 before band 5 deployment. Then it started going to band 5 instead after they deployed it.
    I've mapped a few of them when I had the Nexus 5 a few months back which you can see on CellMapper... Just filter by band on the side.
    Yeah, I had seen a few reports of it late last year, but was surprised at how widespread it it now.

Quote Originally Posted by OntarioGuy View Post
    The escreen doesn't seem to work on 10.3.1. You used to be able to two finger swipe up to access the keyboard but that doesn't appear to be working with the new OS.

What OS version are you using?
    It definitely is working for me and I am on 10.3.1.

Here is the link to Crackberry's instructions, and I have found that the site for the code has to be opened on a different device.

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    Yeah, I had seen a few reports of it late last year, but was surprised at how widespread it it now.

Here is the link to Crackberry's instructions, and I have found that the site for the code has to be opened on a different device.
    Thanks for the link. I still can't get the keyboard to appear to enter the code.

Are you using a Z30? How do you get the keyboard to appear?

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post

Never mind. FINALLY got the keyboard to appear.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    For reference, here is the result from the Nexus 5:

Name:  Screenshot_2014-12-18-08-03-59.png
Views: 1267
Size:  70.1 KB

From near Cambie and 16th.