Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: nokia 635?

Feedback Score

nokia 635?

My old LG optimus is finally giving up the ghost, and I am looking for a relatively inexpensive yet solid replacement. I do not use a lot of apps, mainly just use the smartphone for mail, some web browsing, talking. Do people like the Nokia 635 for those purposes?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    I love my 635.
    I also love my L90.

If you're open to using Windows Phone the 635 is a very nice phone.
    It's fast and for what I use it for I have absolutely no complaints with the phone.
    I'm using mine with T-Mobile prepaid.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Feedback Score
    thanks, snowy white. I don't have a problem with windows. everything is confusing to me anyway

Feedback Score
    I have been using a Lumia 635 since November. Love it. Best phone for the money. Plenty of apps for me. I use mine on PureTalk right now and it also worked fine on H2O. I think the Microsoft Store has them for $49 right now. It's the GoPhone version, but it will work on any AT&T MVNO without unlocking.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ten Four. That is helpful. I can't figure out why the guy at the AT&T store was so down on it. He really discouraged me from getting one saying most of the clients who had bought them were not happy with them. It may be the apps issue, but I don't use any apps, which I told him. But he made it sound like my email would be harder to set up--even though I don't use gmail, i use my verizon.net home mail, or at least that is what my virgin LG phone has let me do.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't really take what someone in the store has to say about it.
    You will find people who have a bias against any Windows phone.
    I have 5 of my Gmail accounts in mine and my Yahoo Email And my Live.com email.

Gmail was the easiest to set up but I didn't have any problems setting any of them up.

I've got my YouTube account set up and Google Search and I pinned the web version of My Google Voice account to the home screen.

The phone is amazing and amazingly easy to use and set up.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Snowy White. That makes me more comfortable with getting it, which I think I am. I think because some store workers are very app oriented, there is a bias against Windows. Since I use few to no apps, that's not an issue for me.
    ps
    but i trusted you more when you were a cat

Feedback Score
    I use Outlook.com as my main email now, and of course it works perfectly with Windows Phone. When I switched phones from a Lumia 520 to a Lumia 635 it was amazingly easy. Almost everything just switched across seemlessly, without me doing anything much. A few oddball small apps didn't come across, but I have never purchased a computing product that was easier to migrate to from an older product. Made me smile all day after expecting a lot of hassles. Shopping at the Microsoft Store has been great too--very fast shipping, and they have some killer sales.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    I use Outlook.com as my main email now, and of course it works perfectly with Windows Phone. .
    I use outlook too , so that is very helpful. I guess I will have a certain learning curve from my android, but I think I am ready to go with it. amazon has the 635 for $48 right now.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    What service will you be using the phone with? I'm not an app guru, but here are a couple of things I've found. I used to use the Nokia HERE Maps, but I think the standard "Maps" that comes with the phone is actually better for most things. Get an SD card and you can download maps so you can use them when offline. Some of them are pretty big so don't go hog wild downloading every state. I ride my motorcycle up through the mountains a lot and it is great to be able to stop anywhere, even places without cell service, and look at the maps on my phone. Skype works great if you want to talk or video chat with someone you know for no cost when on wifi. Works great when you have a relative traveling overseas--stay in touch with no phone service. Set it up to download all your photos to OneDrive when on wifi and you'll have all your photos safe, backed up, and available from any computer and from your online Outlook.com account. Use the Authenticator app for two-step authentication to log into some things, particularly Outlook.com. It provides a number that you punch in for the second step--no need to receive an SMS message. I really like the default weather app, but check out Blue Skies too. Use Quiet Hours to silence all your call and message alarms with one swipe, and send any calls straight to voicemail. Hope these ideas are helpful.

Feedback Score
    thanks, TenFour--those are really helpful--would not have thought of downloading maps for if no signal. i am using at&t.

Feedback Score
    In the 635 manual, it states that you can limit the highest connection speed from 4G to 3G. To do so, they say to goto SETTINGS > cellular+SIM, and switch highest connection speed to 3G.

But when I go there, as Sgt. Shultz used to say, "I SEE NOTHING !".

Or at least no drop-down menu to choose the highest connection speed. Are those bad directions or am I missing something ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R_V_R View Post
    In the 635 manual, it states that you can limit the highest connection speed from 4G to 3G. To do so, they say to goto SETTINGS > cellular+SIM, and switch highest connection speed to 3G.

But when I go there, as Sgt. Shultz used to say, "I SEE NOTHING !".

Or at least no drop-down menu to choose the highest connection speed. Are those bad directions or am I missing something ?
    I just looked.

Does yours have SIM settings at the bottom?

If it does tap on that and it will have the menu with several things, one will have 'highest connection speed'. If you tap that it will have 2G, 4G and LTE.
    At least that is what is offered on mine.
    Mine is the T-Mobile version.

Feedback Score
    Does yours have SIM settings at the bottom?

If it does tap on that and it will have the menu with several things, one will have 'highest connection speed'. If you tap that it will have 2G, 4G and LTE.
    I don't have the "highest connection speed" setting on a GoPhone Lumia 635 being used on PureTalk. Since PT is limited to HSPA+ anyway that's all I get.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    I don't have the "highest connection speed" setting on a GoPhone Lumia 635 being used on PureTalk. Since PT is limited to HSPA+ anyway that's all I get.
    That's weird that the GoPhone version doesn't have that. They should all be the same.
    I wonder why the GoPhone version doesn't offer that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast