Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 87

Thread: Unlocking BS from GoPhone

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Still confused

    Last night I did a backup and restore via iTunes. However when doing that I got a message first on my phone when in the SETTINGS GENERAL ABOUT section that there were "updated carrier settings" available to download. I hit yes.

    Then while doing the iTunes backup and restore, first it said it couldn't restore because there wasn't enough space on the phone, so I reset the phone and then it worked. Then ITunes popped up a Window on the PC saying the same thing about new carrier settings. I hit yes again and this time I actually got some response that said they were successfully updated.

    Are those "carrier settings" the unlock code? It would seem to be a big coincidence if att was also pushing new carrier settings on the same day I got unlocked. However I ALSO upgraded to IOS 8.3 before doing all this other stuff, so wasn't sure if there were new carrier settings attached with that.

    In any case this is another example of my frustration with iPhone and why I personally have android (this iphone is my wifes). Why is it so hard to just let you see the freaking unlock status somewhere? I read that when it is unlocked then in the CELLULAR settings you can see new links to change carrier settings but I can't find that on my phone and I don't know if that is because the post was 2 yrs old or because my phone is actually still locked.

    So my only way to test this is to somehow go find someone with a non-att phone and borrow their sim card? Or am I doing something wrong to get my phone unlocked?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,013
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Still confused

    Last night I did a backup and restore via iTunes. However when doing that I got a message first on my phone when in the SETTINGS GENERAL ABOUT section that there were "updated carrier settings" available to download. I hit yes.

    Then while doing the iTunes backup and restore, first it said it couldn't restore because there wasn't enough space on the phone, so I reset the phone and then it worked. Then ITunes popped up a Window on the PC saying the same thing about new carrier settings. I hit yes again and this time I actually got some response that said they were successfully updated.

    Are those "carrier settings" the unlock code? It would seem to be a big coincidence if att was also pushing new carrier settings on the same day I got unlocked. However I ALSO upgraded to IOS 8.3 before doing all this other stuff, so wasn't sure if there were new carrier settings attached with that.

    In any case this is another example of my frustration with iPhone and why I personally have android (this iphone is my wifes). Why is it so hard to just let you see the freaking unlock status somewhere? I read that when it is unlocked then in the CELLULAR settings you can see new links to change carrier settings but I can't find that on my phone and I don't know if that is because the post was 2 yrs old or because my phone is actually still locked.

    So my only way to test this is to somehow go find someone with a non-att phone and borrow their sim card? Or am I doing something wrong to get my phone unlocked?
    any used T-Mobile sim card will do, does not need to be active.

    I have no knowledge of iPhones, been windows and android only. If I were to try iPhones, I would buy the sim free or T-MO variant just to prevent duplication of your experience, others have said the Verizon variant GSM side is unlock by default

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,876
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Usually, each time you update the iOS, the carrier settings are updated. These have nothing to do with unlocking of the telephone. It tells the iPhone how to set up voice calling, voicemail, MMS and data connections. That is why you cannot manually adjust those settings with some carriers. When iOS 8.3 was released two days ago, the carrier files was AT&T 19.0. Yesterday it was further updated to AT&T 19.1. There are website which will give the unlock status of iPhones. Do a search for "iPhone unlock status." Bear in mind that this information is obtained from the Apple databases. If you have not taken either of the three steps to unlock the telephone, it will still be physically locked.

    Unlocking steps (either one):

    1. Go through the iTunes firmware restore process (from the section of iTunes which shows the telephone number. Not the restore from backup in the next section).

    2. Turn on the iPhone with a data connection.

    3. Insert a SIM card from another carrier other than the carrier to which the telephone was locked. SIM cards from MVNOs of the same carrier do not prove that the telephone is unlocked. The cheapest, other than free, would be a $0.99 T-Mobile compatible SIM card from Straight Talk.
    Earl F. Parrish

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Usually, each time you update the iOS, the carrier settings are updated. These have nothing to do with unlocking of the telephone. It tells the iPhone how to set up voice calling, voicemail, MMS and data connections. That is why you cannot manually adjust those settings with some carriers. When iOS 8.3 was released two days ago, the carrier files was AT&T 19.0. Yesterday it was further updated to AT&T 19.1. There are website which will give the unlock status of iPhones. Do a search for "iPhone unlock status." Bear in mind that this information is obtained from the Apple databases. If you have not taken either of the three steps to unlock the telephone, it will still be physically locked.

    Unlocking steps (either one):

    1. Go through the iTunes firmware restore process (from the section of iTunes which shows the telephone number. Not the restore from backup in the next section).

    2. Turn on the iPhone with a data connection.

    3. Insert a SIM card from another carrier other than the carrier to which the telephone was locked. SIM cards from MVNOs of the same carrier do not prove that the telephone is unlocked. The cheapest, other than free, would be a $0.99 T-Mobile compatible SIM card from Straight Talk.

    Okay thanks, so the carrier settings was indeed just due to the iOS 8.3 update

    I guess I can try to do a backup and restore again, although I did it twice last night and never got the "Congrats your phone is now unlocked" message. As it was nearing 1am I said what the heck am I doing, I need to go to sleep.

    Where can I buy that 99 cent straight talk SIM? That would be useful for testing in the future.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Looks like on Ebay I can get a bunch of different T-Mobile-based SIMS for 99 cents with free shipping. Lycamobile is one I remember and there were others (PTEL I think). Basically I just need to get any non-AT&T SIM even if it is Kazakhstan Wireless right? I'm not looking to actually use it, just have it to test unlock status

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,783
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KH6CY View Post
    I requested and got a nano sim activated because I also have a Nexus 6 which uses a nano, I also got an adapter.
    Use caution with the adapter, they have killed many sim ports. Sometimes the smaller sim gets lifted up and the contact legs get caught during removal.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,293
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm still confused after reading the posts in this thread. But this is what I think I got out if it:

    1. For best results from AT&T, put in an unlock request as a non-customer.
    2. For an iPhone, one has to connect to iTunes to unlock the device. It's not a simple "type in a code" process.

    Yes? No?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,013
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    Use caution with the adapter, they have killed many sim ports. Sometimes the smaller sim gets lifted up and the contact legs get caught during removal.
    hey, haven't seen you in a while. Thanks for the warning, more often than not, the sim will get dislodge from the adapter as it is being inserted into the sim slot, I don't care what anybody else says, it will happen no matter how careful you do. I have develop a safe way of doing it. 1st, I place the sim with adapter as close as possible near the sim slot, then I put a pointed pin right at the middle of the adapter and slightly insert, then I move the pin to the exposed part of the sim and with a slight pressure continue. This way the sim is the one that is being used to push. Once its half way, you already know that the sim will not get dislodge cause the spring is already in action. I reverse the procedure to remove.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,013
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    I'm still confused after reading the posts in this thread. But this is what I think I got out if it:

    1. For best results from AT&T, put in an unlock request as a non-customer.
    2. For an iPhone, one has to connect to iTunes to unlock the device. It's not a simple "type in a code" process.

    Yes? No?
    from what I've read, you're correct. There's a fellow on AT&T forum that bought an iPhone, never had any intention of using it on AT&T, the OP requested and got unlock.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,293
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KH6CY View Post
    from what I've read, you're correct. There's a fellow on AT&T forum that bought an iPhone, never had any intention of using it on AT&T, the OP requested and got unlock.
    ^^Thank you for the feedback.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    I'm still confused after reading the posts in this thread. But this is what I think I got out if it:

    1. For best results from AT&T, put in an unlock request as a non-customer.
    2. For an iPhone, one has to connect to iTunes to unlock the device. It's not a simple "type in a code" process.

    Yes? No?
    I did #1 and got a "congratulations" email from AT&T

    However after a couple iTunes restores I haven't seen any "congrats your phone is now unlocked" so I'm not sure what is going on.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,876
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Okay thanks, so the carrier settings was indeed just due to the iOS 8.3 update

    I guess I can try to do a backup and restore again, although I did it twice last night and never got the "Congrats your phone is now unlocked" message. As it was nearing 1am I said what the heck am I doing, I need to go to sleep.

    Where can I buy that 99 cent straight talk SIM? That would be useful for testing in the future.
    You should use Restore this iPhone and not Backup and restore.


    via the HoFo App

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    You should use Restore this iPhone and not Backup and restore.


    via the HoFo App

    So is the sequence 1) "reset and erase" everything on the iPhone from settings 2) plug the naked phone into iTunes 3) restore from the backup that is already saved in iTunes?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,876
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    If t If you use the iTunes method, you do not do anything on the telephone itself. You plug the telephone to the computer on which iTunes is installed. If iTunes is not currently open the iTunes Helper program will start iTunes. Once the telephone is recognized, you should get the iTunes screen. You may have to select the device. You will see three sections in the middle of the screen when you are on the Summary sidebar. Choose Restore iPhone from the top section. Do not select from the Backups section. Once you confirm that you want to restore the firmware, respond to the prompts. If it asks you if you want to do a backup first, agree. Keep the iPhone connected until all your icons are back on the device. You will get the "Congratulations... " before all of your icons are restored to the telephone, so do not disconnect the telephone as soon as you see that message.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    If t If you use the iTunes method, you do not do anything on the telephone itself. You plug the telephone to the computer on which iTunes is installed. If iTunes is not currently open the iTunes Helper program will start iTunes. Once the telephone is recognized, you should get the iTunes screen. You may have to select the device. You will see three sections in the middle of the screen when you are on the Summary sidebar. Choose Restore iPhone from the top section. Do not select from the Backups section. Once you confirm that you want to restore the firmware, respond to the prompts. If it asks you if you want to do a backup first, agree. Keep the iPhone connected until all your icons are back on the device. You will get the "Congratulations... " before all of your icons are restored to the telephone, so do not disconnect the telephone as soon as you see that message.
    okie dokie I'll try it tonight

    A little flag in the "ABOUT" section of "SETTINGS" that says "Lock Status: AT&T Carrier Lock" or "Lock Status: Unlocked" would be so much easier.

    Thanks Jobs


    Now I also need to figure out why the hell I have 4-something gigabytes of "OTHER" listed under the storage shown on iTunes. Initial searches indicate it is corrupted data or maybe something else (apps that are being pushed from my iPad or some stuff).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2002, 03:51 AM
  2. Got Unlock Code from VS. Then?
    By mozartcova in forum Nokia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2002, 11:12 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2001, 04:42 AM
  4. Hi, anyone knows how to unlock 8290 from Citifone?
    By Jack in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2001, 05:07 PM
  5. Unlocking 7797 from Rogers/AT&T
    By Phoneguy in forum Motorola
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2001, 05:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks