Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: $10/day unlimited Europe-wide roaming, 35+ countries!! [Roam Like Home for EU!]

Feedback Score
    Just asking people to be aware of these issues and mindful of just how privileged we are, don't take it for granted

Be aware how much our ease and comfort are the result of other's struggle and suffering, and at least have some gratitude, if not actually attempting to rectify or compensate for the more obvious injustices. Once we have "enough" it behooves our humanity to try to do at least a little to help those less fortunate.

Be aware that our excessive rates of extraction and consumption of resources are likely denying future generations the ability to enjoy their time on Earth as much as we do now

Realize the whole infrastructure supporting our lifestyle is very fragile, could easily collapse in the blink of an eye due to our heedlessness.

Of course you are free to scoff and dismiss all this as useless kerfuffle. . .

Feedback Score
    So if I'm going to Greece and I'm on the share everything plan. I'd be paying 10 a day to the max of 100 dollars on top of my regular charges for my main line, and if I opted to bring my iPad that shares the data with me as well I'd be paying another 10 per month for a maximum of another 100 dollars for the tablet plan as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I'm struggling to get past the idea that people willing to pay thousands to visit Europe are worried about dollars a day for roaming. :-)

With U.S. roaming I've done all three options (paying a Big 3 roaming rate, getting a prepaid local SIM, and using Roam Mobility). One thing not being mentioned here is the possibility of service improvements one way or the other. For example, Roam Like Home in the U.S. let's you use both AT&T and T-Mobile, whereas using a local SIM or Roam Mobility will be one or the other (and usually the lesser of the two options for the cheapest rates). I'm not sure what the roaming partner situation is like in Europe, and I would need to know before passing judgement on which offers the best value. $10/day for the best carrier in an area, or for multiple carriers, could be better, especially in off-the-beaten-path areas.
    Sent from my WIN HD LTE via the HowardForums WP7 App
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    I'm struggling to get past the idea that people willing to pay thousands to visit Europe are worried about dollars a day for roaming.
    That's because you see it as "vacationing" as opposed to just being in a new place. The same people who go to more trouble to save $500 on their ticket, stay in hostels & AirBnB with a backpack, pick fruit and wait tables to allow them to travel for two years rather than two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    I'm not sure what the roaming partner situation is like in Europe, and I would need to know before passing judgement on which offers the best value. $10/day for the best carrier in an area, or for multiple carriers, could be better, especially in off-the-beaten-path areas.
    A local SIM will always be the best value, only reasons not to do that are you have money to burn and/or don't want to deal with the locals.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    That's because you see it as "vacationing" as opposed to just being in a new place. The same people who go to more trouble to save $500 on their ticket, stay in hostels & AirBnB with a backpack, pick fruit and wait tables to allow them to travel for two years rather than two weeks.

A local SIM will always be the best value, only reasons not to do that are you have money to burn and/or don't want to deal with the locals.
    Not at all true. Value is in the eyes of the beholder. Yes someone on a tight budget will value the savings form a local SIM. But one who is looking to "vacation" as you put it sees tremendous value in the convenience of Roam like home. Also, Rogers intent is to go after "high value" customers who are after such conveniences. Their target market is not budget conscious consumers.

Feedback Score
    Steven stated he was struggling to understand. I was helping him see how that was the result of his personal experience and point of view.

And what you say in no way contradicts my

only reasons not to do that are you have money to burn and/or don't want to deal with the locals

Anyone who thinks $10 a day is a trivial expense IMO falls in the former category, and anyone who sees the process of obtaining a local SIM as "inconvenient" falls into the latter. Obviously many people are in both, and I'm not criticizing them for either.
    Last edited by HansCT; 05-01-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I've been in europe for 2 weeks now, using roam like home. It's very convenient, especially since I'm heading to my third country in 3 weeks, next week. Nano sims (for iphones) are in rare supply. Here in Poland, you have to basically cut the sim, and hope it works. Not to mention the 2 providers I looked at, the plans were a total mess.

Yes, to me it's worth the $100 a month for the 5 months i'll be in europe. I can go on trains, not worry about not having signal anywhere in between destinations, continue doing work while travelling and not have to worry about precisely cutting a sim card.

But yes, 5 Zlotys (about.. 1.75 dollars) for 500MB or 1GB of data is a sweet deal in Poland. If you can get it working

In Berlin, it was 10 euros for 1GB on Blau and the activation process sucked. That's when I started using roam like home instead and just keeping it.

I'm from Quebec, so I have the 12GB package for $100 a month (BYOD). If I had less data, I would probably go with local sims too.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you are travelling through Europe, you don't necessarily need separate SIM cards for each country. Some carriers offer Europe-wide roaming options. I went to Switzerland and Italy last month with short side trips to France and Germany. I ordered a prepaid SIM from Ortel Mobile in Germany through amazon.de and activated it online. They have a European roaming plan for €20 for 30 days with 750MB data (€9/500MB overage) + 300 voice minutes + 7˘ per text.

I'm not going to get into the argument over price vs. convenience (to each his own). My point is that in terms of both price and convenience, this plan falls in between Roam Like Home and local SIMs in each country, so it 's a good third option.

P.S. I found this plan at http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c..._SIM_with_data
    Last edited by svattom; 05-06-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Fair enough about vacationing vs. backpacking across Europe... except if I were staying in Europe for two years, I'd definitely not be inclined to roam. Personally, I've never been to Europe.

What U.S.-based option lets me use both T-Mobile and AT&T? T-Mobile offers faster speeds in most cases, and AT&T offers better coverage in most cases. I'd rather pay $5/day (to a maximum of $50 a month) and get both of them (plus using my Canadian number, which can save money for my contacts on the Canadian side), than $3.95/day USD and get only T-Mobile. How is a local SIM "always" more value? The moment you say "always" you're usually wrong, as there are typically exceptions. And value is subjective. Cheaper price can be value, more data can be value, better coverage can be value, using your existing number can save time and related costs and that can add value, etc. You're looking at it just from what offers value to you, it seems.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Steven stated he was struggling to understand. I was helping him see how that was the result of his personal experience and point of view.

And what you say in no way contradicts my

Anyone who thinks $10 a day is a trivial expense IMO falls in the former category, and anyone who sees the process of obtaining a local SIM as "inconvenient" falls into the latter. Obviously many people are in both, and I'm not criticizing them for either.
    Where you and I disagree is that you say a local SIM is always more value. A person for whom time is limited may get more value out of saving time (not just setting up a local account, but also call forwarding rules, contacting people to give them the new number, etc.). Time is money for some people too.

Value is subjective. Is your time more valuable to you than saving up to $10/day? Then go Roam Like Home. Is saving money of most value to you? Go with a local SIM every time. Is saving your personal contacts time and money of most value to you? Go with Roam Like Home so that they aren't trying to contact an American, or European, number only to find out their plan doesn't include that. Is the best coverage of value to you? Then Roam Like Home may offer more value if they're partnering with the carrier with the best coverage (rarely the carrier that offers the best rates), or they may be partnering with multiple carriers. Are you mostly going to contact local numbers? Then a local SIM is likely better? Wanting to call/SMS Canada? Roam Like Home might be cheaper.

It's all relative.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3