Thread: Need help finding a new cell phone

Feedback Score

Need help finding a new cell phone

Guys, I am looking to buy a new phone.
    I was hoping that I can list my wish list below and you guys can point me in the right direction. I'll also look for a place to buy it with at least decent service and with US warranty, OR, if the phone is cheap enough, I’ll just look for a used one on ebay.

It must be unlocked as I don't use a lot of minutes and I want to be able to pick the provider I want.

..........So, here's what I want in the phone....................

Note that my current phone is the NEXUS ONE which I have had since it first came out and I’m comparing to that in size, resolution and so on.
    Note, I must be able to ROOT the phone if needed, but I assume they can all be rooted.

1. Good Touch sensitivity. I’m so fed up with the Nexus one screen. It sucks on sensitivity and half the time I can’t even get things pressed in time to answer the phone. I’m going to assume that EVER phone these days is better on the touch sensitivity than my old Nexus One which apparently had problems.

2. Good quality speaker and loud. For speech, I don’t intend on playing music on it.

3. Newer Android version as I want predictive dialing so that when I dial, it auto completes the phone numbers for me. I don’t care if it does this with text, I want it to do it with phone numbers.

4. Again, newer version of Android so I can have the option to make fonts bigger. I like the multi size option they have now.

5. I would like to have a decent camera (the one facing away from the screen) but this is NOT a must.

6. Decent size screen (the Nexus one is around 3.8” which is fine for me) with decent resolution and contrast. I do NOT need a big phone and I think 4.5-4.7” screen is about the biggest I want as the phones get too big after that.

7. For use in the US mainly so must work on ATT and T-Mobile.

8. I want Wi-Fi

9. I want Blue Tooth (again, I’m assuming this is available on all phones)

10. Sending pics with text is something that would be nice to have but I’ve lived without it for 5 years so I can do another 5 standing on my head.

11. The Nexus One has 480x800 resolution I think and I love that screen so that is GOOD ENOUGH. Anything over that is a bonus. I have no idea how 240x480 will look like some of the cheapo ones have.

12. Doesn’t have to be very fast, I WILL ONLY use it as a phone.

13. My phone service is 4G but they say I can use 2g if necessary and I don’t do much more than calling so since I’m sure it’s cheaper, 2G is fine, however, I would prefer 4g capable, just in case.

14. The ability to use as hotspot. Not a must.

15. I have a ringtone that I’ve had for years and I’d like to be able to just put that back on the phone and I assume I can just hook it up to the pc and drop it in the right folder?

16. I would like GPS but not really necessary since I haven’t really used it at all on the Nexus

17. To get voice dial with hands free in the truck, I assume I need voice dialing on the phone? I would like that but again, not a deal breaker. I’m broke so that is what decides my purchase.

18. Decent quality and at least a year/warranty.

19. Multitouch or gesture or whatever it’s called would be nice for when I want to enlarge a picture but again, NOT necessary.

Well, that should be plenty of info. Could I stay under two hundred bucks with this?

Thanks for any tips and please, including links if you can.

George
    Last edited by guiri; 04-14-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Help a friend who might soon be homeless: https://www.gofundme.com/soonHomeless

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    See, the problem when looking on ebay is that even if I find a great deal on a phone, in my mind, I have no idea If they have all the features that I want. I don't see those features as something special and they probably aren't, I'd just like to know when bidding on a phone that it has it all and yes, I've used auctionsniper for years so I'll snipe the hell outta it.

I was told that H20 that I use now is ATT but it's either that or T-mobile. I was happy with both. I want a gsm/sim card option and I can't stand Verizon.
    Also, I won't do Apple.

If I could stay under $200 it would be great and I don't mind a used phone really cheap, like you said, I can always get another one. I should have bid on one in new condition the other day but at the time, I was still thinking DUAL SIM and this wasn't so I let it go. It looked impeccable and still had the warranty.
    Look man I am sincerely trying to help you here but you don't seem to be paying attention to a single thing I say.

Don't write so much at once - one simple question at a time is best.

Exception would be if you were posting in a forum specific to a given phone - which I highly advise, for example the Moto G forum on Reddit.

Then you are asking a long list of questions - but simple bullet list, lots of white space - and all questions on the same topic.

When you post a wall of text rambling on about your specific brain farts no one can be bothered to wade through it looking for something relevant to their experience to give feedback on.

Now, about eBay. Again you are over-analyzing. You know how to find out the usual price range and how to snipe, so you'll get a good price, under normal market. You tie up a little capital, try the phone out see how you like it.

If it doesn't meet your needs within a month or two you sell it, probably for around the same you paid, maybe even make a profit cover shipping. Try the next one.

Being on RingTo lets you easily swap devices and services without having to ever port again. See that thread for more specific to that service.

And best of luck with your quest - more action less analysis dude!

Feedback Score
    I understand and I appreciate it but again, I have been on ebay and I've looked and there are thousands of phones and I have no idea what anything is.
    I'm not sure how that is hard to understand.

I haven't looked for a phone for at least 5 years so I have no idea what's available, what features most phones have and yes, I can buy a 50 dollar phone 5 times over but that's even a bigger waste of time. Hell, I DID get it right with the nexus one and if it hadn't been for the super poor touch sensitivity, I wouldn't even think of trading it.

Also, I have a huge reading comprehension problem and something I can't fix. I can't concentrate on something and by the time I'm down a couple of lines, I've pretty much lost the gist of everything. So, I apologize and be sure that I DO appreciate the help.

Feedback Score
    OK, look for the Moto XT1045 on eBay, get to know current pricing, last I checked $110-140 in good condition.

Start from there, go to the Moto G sub reddit and start asking your questions there.

Or maybe the Moto X, but that's more expensive.

If not, look at other mainstream popular models, LG G2 is good value ATM, so is the Samsung Galaxy S3 (S4 more $).

With the most modern phones, like the latest Nexus, I can't stand how big they're getting, IMO ridiculously large for me.

But one generation back on the Nexus should also be a good choice for you.

The main takeaway here should be don't throw out all your req's and expect others to have all the answers. Just research one model at a time.

Feedback Score
    THanks and one thing I forgot to ask was that maybe I could go with an older model as I'm sure they would be cheap as hell to keep just testing them. As you can see, I don't need the newest.

I WOULD research one model at the time but the basic (and I didn't make it obvious, sorry 'bout that) idea although it WAS to find a specific idea, after awhile, it became more about finding out if the features I want are standard on most or all models and if so, I could just pick a few that I like the "look" of I guess, the right size and then narrow it down.

Tough to do with hundreds of models or more and especially if you don't know what has what.

As you may have read, I discovered that I'll probably have to use an app to get the text the size I want because looking in the ATT store, the extra large font wasn't as big as the one I got with the CYANOGEN hack 5-6 years ago.

The nexus in those days had to be rooted in order to use that app. Is this still the case if I just want to download and use a font app straight from the google play site?

One question at the time then.

Do ALL phones have the voice recognition/voice dial?
    The chick at the ATT store said it's an android feature but I don't trust people in stores.

I also read somewhere that android has it's own version of the voice command/SIRI thing, is this true and does it work as well as Siri on Apple? I have a buddy of mine that sends texts out with Siri and it's awesome. I don't do much stuff but if I'm in the car, that would be awesome and besides, I tend to fat finger the hell out of everything I try to type.

Thanks and by the way, if ride motorcycles, hit me up for a Helmet Hook for all the time you've taken with me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    THanks and one thing I forgot to ask was that maybe I could go with an older model as I'm sure they would be cheap as hell to keep just testing them. As you can see, I don't need the newest.

I WOULD research one model at the time but the basic (and I didn't make it obvious, sorry 'bout that) idea although it WAS to find a specific idea, after awhile, it became more about finding out if the features I want are standard on most or all models and if so, I could just pick a few that I like the "look" of I guess, the right size and then narrow it down.

Tough to do with hundreds of models or more and especially if you don't know what has what.

As you may have read, I discovered that I'll probably have to use an app to get the text the size I want because looking in the ATT store, the extra large font wasn't as big as the one I got with the CYANOGEN hack 5-6 years ago.

The nexus in those days had to be rooted in order to use that app. Is this still the case if I just want to download and use a font app straight from the google play site?

One question at the time then.

Do ALL phones have the voice recognition/voice dial?
    The chick at the ATT store said it's an android feature but I don't trust people in stores.

I also read somewhere that android has it's own version of the voice command/SIRI thing, is this true and does it work as well as Siri on Apple? I have a buddy of mine that sends texts out with Siri and it's awesome. I don't do much stuff but if I'm in the car, that would be awesome and besides, I tend to fat finger the hell out of everything I try to type.

Thanks and by the way, if ride motorcycles, hit me up for a Helmet Hook for all the time you've taken with me
    No idea what that is, I don't but thanks.

Absolutely nothing can be stated as true for ALL phones, no one on the planet has time to check out even half of the one available on the market. That's my point about the shotgun approach, people just won't bother answering unrealistic questions.

The Google app does recognition on all the Androids I've used. But I've never used an iDevice so can't compare.

If you know ROMs then make sure you buy a phone that's bootloader unlockable and rootable, then you can do whatever you like with the font.

I've never done anything with font resizing so can't help you there, like I said go to a disabled or elderly assistive tech forum and you'll find experts on that topic.

Best of luck, I'm done here. . .