Thread: Yet Another SpeakOut-Friendly Phone for Seniors

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Yet Another SpeakOut-Friendly Phone for Seniors

Just yesterday I topped up my mom's SpeakOut Prepaid account for another year. You wouldn't think that a housebound senior would have any need for a mobile phone, but the benefits are actually twofold: (1) I get peace of mind in case the power goes out, taking her cordless landline phone system with it, and (2) she gets to enjoy a network-connected timepiece—not at all what I expected but she loves it for that reason alone.

It helps that her handset, the Snapfon ezTWO, was made expressly for seniors. But what if the elder in your life prefers a flip phone form factor? If that's what you're after, I've got just the device for you:

Name:  jethro-01-open.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  69.1 KB

Meet the Jethro SC213B, $44.99 unlocked from Amazon Canada. My girlfriend bought one for her 70 years-young mom, and it looks like another winner for seniors!

Like the Snapfon it's got a big, high-contrast colour display and similarly big buttons that emit a satisfying click when pressed. My only gripe about the layout is that the soft menu buttons should be above the M1 and M2 keys rather than below. But since Auntie will most likely be entering numbers manually it's not a deal-breaker by any means.

Name:  jethro-02-box.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  61.3 KB

This handset is a particularly good value as it includes a charging cradle at no extra cost. There's also a micro USB slot on the side of the handset for when (and if) you travel. I forgot to take note of the battery capacity, but I will say that in the three days that I had it in standby mode there was barely a dip on the battery level indicator—it came out of the box with a more-than-three-quarters charge.

Name:  jethro-03-camera.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  42.0 KB

Pointless extras include a VGA-or-worse onboard camera and micro SD card support (good luck with that), a torch button that's hard to find and FM radio function that no one will ever use—plus the requisite SOS button on the back, really just a shortcut to dial whomever you want to complain to that you've fallen and can't get up. Wouldn't it be great if you could repurpose this button to activate the flashlight?

Americans reading this can purchase the handset directly from the manufacturer's website (it's also available in white). In Canada it's exclusive to Jethro's Amazon presence, but your order will be fulfilled by Amazon so returns, if necessary, shouldn't be a problem. This particular phone is GSM-only, so it won't work at all on Bell, TELUS or WIND Mobile. It does, however, have quad-band GSM support, so it should work with a local SIM when the girlfriend's mom takes it with her to Hong Kong next winter.

I'll have to get back to you on that...
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    Any idea what frequencies it runs on? I would be interested in one for my mother-in-law using it in the USA on PureTalk (AT&T). What size SIM card?

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score
    From their website:

This Flip cellphone is unlocked GSM quad-band, it works perfectly with any GSM network cellphone providers globally, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers, or any GSM providers.
    The SIM card is the older "mini" (non-micro) SIM.

Device(s)
    LG G6 followed by a Samsung S7 Edge as a backup.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up, my 79 year old step father will love this Ordered and on it's way

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm thinking of switching mom's line from Telus on a KRZR k1m to either WIND (which I already have) or SpeakOut. I have lots of older GSM phones that are similar to the OP's here (Nokia 6061, LG 2000 etc that are clamshell form factor); but nothing as polished and cool as the KRZR. Apparently there was a GSM version but I don't want to buy used (hygiene reason among others) and mom really likes that KRZR's look. Oh well. The harder part is there is probably unlikely any phones that looks like the KRZR and will do AWS UMTS (so for WIND, right now I have a slider for her on that).

Another thing I am curious is if the overall quality of these off brands is as good as then name brand phones like from Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Motorola, etc. (back then Samsung and LG sucked, lol).
    No longer on a leash by Fido