Thread: Thinking about migrating from iPhone 3GS to Samsung Galaxy S4

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Thinking about migrating from iPhone 3GS to Samsung Galaxy S4

Hello all,

I recently re-negotiated my plan with Rogers, and as expected, got a worse offer than the special I held until last december, as the retention guy explained that prices have raised because 3-year contracts are now forbidden, meaning they have less time to recoup the price of a phone, extended voicemail is now optional since most customers don't actually listen to their messages, blabla.
    Currently, I have 1GB, unlimited calls and SMSs, and the normal options, all for $60. Under the Fido banner, I'd get the same one for roughly $50 without a phone or contract, or 2GB for $60, though I never went above 1GB except one month in the last year. But my daily driver is a 16GB iPhone 3GS that works fine, but just getting…old, and slow, not mentioning newer apps are not compatible, and battery life is pitiful. Plus the camera is crap.

Now, for the same price, I would have the choice between an iPhone 5C and 8GB for $75 (after loyalty rebate), and a Galaxy S4 for 0$, a 16GB model I believe. Of course I expected the iPhone to be more expensive, but I am still attracted to it because I am very familiar with the Apple-ecosystem. One click, and it's backed up and synced, all of the phone's content. Still, I feel that 8GB is rather small (my first 3GS had 8GB, and it was tight). No other reason than storage space and curiosity, really, is driving me toward the S4.

I am listening to a lot of podcasts, rely on Apple Match for those songs I only infrequently listen to, have my own playlists in iTunes. Of course, I have plenty of applications, and would like to use a phone call recorder that hardware limitations on the 3GS don't allow for.
    Perhaps more importantly, I am not subscribed to any kind of Google service, and I don't intend to. This part is not negotiable as I trust the big G even less than Apple.
    As such, my usage of iCloud is also fairly limited, basically only for the "Find my iPhone" feature, and I do like the fact that apps on the iPhone do not require access to a ton of personal data not essential for their proper working.
    I am using my own, privately-ran CalDAV/CardDAV/IMAPS/Exchange server that works transparently on iOS.

After the long background comes the questions no Android use was ever able to answer. It seems there is a dearth of Mac-users without Google-subscription. Numbered for easier answer:

1. Would an Android phone work without a Google-related login? I know there are other app stores than Google Play, but many of them seem to have a questionable reputation of harbouring malware-ridden applications.
    2. Is there a mail application that would "just work" with my current multi-mailbox setup, connecting to the servers through SSL and presenting the messages in a single folder? Not through a redirection of any kind through a third-party providers.
    3. Is there a way for iTunes (Mac) to sync m4a and aac songs and podcasts on an Android phone? I know these phones are seen as mass storage device, but I just don't want to go through the hassle of manually transferring the songs (many of which aren't on the local hard drive anymore) to the phone.
    4. I would even prefer the phone to access Apple Match directly, though 1GB allowance may be somewhat tight for this.
    5. And finally, would their be a website to check wether or not a given list of applications would have an Android-counterpart? It seems the majority of interesting apps (to me) are released for iOS first, then Android (if ever.)

I want to be clear, again, that I don't want any kind of clumsy work-around that would include increase manual work such as drag/drop. I want it to "just work".

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You need to get the iPhone if you don't want anything to change. You move to Android and you will be required to rework some of the stuff, it not all of it to make it "just work."
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I never said anywhere that I didn't want anything to change.
    I said that I didn't want to increase the workload required to make it work, and provided my pattern usage for easier answer, as well as required and optional points.

What is included in "some of the stuff"?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Really, nobody attempted such a migration before?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Pretty much everything you have listed will require work to make it happen, be it downloading separate apps to the way you use the phone. You are accustomed to an Apple way of things, and to move to Android, you have to realize that it will not be the same. If you do decide to migrate, you cannot compare the two as they are not alike. The operating system to the way that files are handled, it is all different.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You might as well ask if there is a way for an iPhone to "just work" without iTunes. It might be theoretically possible, but it will take a lot of work and it still will not work as well as designed or intended.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Downloading separate apps on the phone is not an issue. I see it as the easiest part of the transition. I wouldn't mind starting an app to sync podcasts, and another one for playlists. But not chain them, nor depend on a Google account for anything.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You will depend on a Google account to access the Play Store and download apps, unless you want to deal with third party apps which of not developed correctly, can wreck your phone. You will also need a Google account to activate the phone. It really sounds like it would be ideal for you to stay with an iPhone.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Would it mean that Play Store apps are verified, but not the ones on other stores?