Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Verizon Let the Network Rot?

Feedback Score

Will Verizon Let the Network Rot?

I have not heard anything from Verizon regarding plans for densification of their network to achieve reasonable performance in suburban neighborhoods. Verizon has had LTE deployed for several years and is certainly aware that the network needs densification. I have not seen any improvements here in Southern California so I can only conclude that they are letting the network rot. Have any members of this forum seen any evidence of densification in any suburban areas?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I have not heard anything from Verizon regarding plans for densification of their network to achieve reasonable performance in suburban neighborhoods. Verizon has had LTE deployed for several years and is certainly aware that the network needs densification. I have not seen any improvements here in Southern California so I can only conclude that they are letting the network rot. Have any members of this forum seen any evidence of densification in any suburban areas?

via the HoFo App
    Man, I wish. Need to go to T-Mobile or to a lesser extent AT&T to get reasonable performance in my area. VZW provides overloaded LTE with Swiss cheese coverage, frequently falling back to EV-DO.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I suggest listening to (at least the last three) Verizon's investor conferences to get a better gist of what's to come this year: https://soundcloud.com/verizon-communications

That's as much info as you'll ever get about their network plans.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In Los Angeles, Verizon is very active with new cell sites. They outnumber all other carriers about 4-to-1 in requests before the city of LA planning commission for new monopoles/rooftop sites/etc.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    In Los Angeles, Verizon is very active with new cell sites. They outnumber all other carriers about 4-to-1 in requests before the city of LA planning commission for new monopoles/rooftop sites/etc.
    Is it because the other carriers have more cell sites than VZW which results in VZW outnumbering 4-1? In other words do the other carriers have more sites than VZW?

via the HoFo App
    Last edited by macher52; 04-19-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    You do know Verizon and Sprint operate less cell sites than AT&T and T-mobile right? It's just that they operate on low band spectrum and have islands of AWS deployed. Same with AT&T but to a lesser extent. AT&T has decent densification. Not as good as T-mobile in a lot of markets. They also have a few spectrum crunched markets. If I had to rank carriers in densification it would be
    -T-mobile
    -AT&T
    -Verizon
    -Sprint

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They needed to be active a year ago though.. VZW in LA last year was so bad it was a joke. Switched my friend T-Mobile and hasn't looked back since.

The problem is 700MHz LTE doesn't have the reach their CDMA network does, hence the constant fallbacks. Lack of cell sites leads to an overstressed network too
    Bye!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier32 View Post
    You do know Verizon and Sprint operate less cell sites than AT&T and T-mobile right? It's just that they operate on low band spectrum and have islands of AWS deployed. Same with AT&T but to a lesser extent. AT&T has decent densification. Not as good as T-mobile in a lot of markets. They also have a few spectrum crunched markets. If I had to rank carriers in densification it would be
    -T-mobile
    -AT&T
    -Verizon
    -Sprint

via the HoFo App
    You do know newyork4me was talking about Verizon's permit applications for NEW sites outnumbering other carriers 4 to 1 in Los Angeles specifically, right?

via the HoFo App
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    You do know newyork4me was talking about Verizon's permit applications for NEW sites outnumbering other carriers 4 to 1 in Los Angeles specifically, right?

via the HoFo App
    Is it because the other carriers are well ahead of VZW in cell sites and that they don't need to have as much permit applications as the other carriers who have more cell sites? First we have to see how many cell sites TMo and AT&T has.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marc50267 View Post
    Is it because the other carriers are well ahead of VZW in cell sites and that they don't need to have as much permit applications as the other carriers who have more cell sites? First we have to see how many cell sites TMo and AT&T has.

via the HoFo App
    Yes, probably. It's good for VZW though because the sites are probably LTE only & using much newer equipment than most of their macro footprint.

It's already been disclosed that T-Mobile has 60,000 macros & I believe 12,000 MetroPCS DAS nodes. AT&T & Sprint have around 55,000 macros, and Verizon has 45,000 macro sites.

Source: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...rum/2014-12-16

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score

via the HoFo App
    I'm very well aware. I live in LA. I would know.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, probably. It's good for VZW though because the sites are probably LTE only & using much newer equipment than most of their macro footprint.

It's already been disclosed that T-Mobile has 60,000 macros & I believe 12,000 MetroPCS DAS nodes. AT&T & Sprint have around 55,000 macros, and Verizon has 45,000 macro sites.

Source: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...rum/2014-12-16

via the HoFo App
    Slightly alarming part is that AT&T and especially Verizon has twice as many subscribers, broader serving cellular footprint and less sites than T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps with Verizon selling off a bunch of sites to American Tower, it will make it easier and more affordable for both VZ and AT&T to densify by collocating on those sites where each had exclusivity.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Slightly alarming part is that AT&T and especially Verizon has twice as many subscribers, broader serving cellular footprint and less sites than T-Mobile.
    It's ironic that T-Mobile's apparent weakness of having to build a network using high band spectrum has turned into a strength. More towers with lots of high band spectrum translates into a lot of capacity.

VZW did fine with fewer sites back with EV-DO, but now it is struggling with capacity issues and Swiss cheese LTE coverage.

Right now, my T-Mobile phone usually outperforms my VZW phone. I realize this is a function of where I live, work, etc. VZW really needs to close that gap.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has done a great job in New Hampshire. Over the past 3-4 years they've added numerous towers in the towns I live and travel to, most being LTE only. I've complained to customer service about 5 areas where coverage is horrible, but other carriers like AT&T or US Cellular have service, and within 1-2 years or sooner I've seen 4 of those 5 new sites pop up. It's either coincidence, or they actually listen to coverage and horrible speed complaints.

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast