Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Verizon Let the Network Rot?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    l
    Los Angeles/OC: Furiously adding new macro and small cells
    They have to when their macro density has been neglected for the last couple years. From my research they are playing catchup versus T-Mobile's Macro and oDAS density here.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There are still some 3G only sites along the interstates from NYC to Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    On my way up to Albany last summer I noticed a lot of 3G in southern ny state.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    AT&T is pretty close in IL these days. I live in one of the far flung rural towns of the entire state of Illinois, and AT&T has come swinging at VZW here. I don't know what small towns AT&T ignored around you but most of the CLR and 700 MHz they need in IL they now have. Southern Illinois (south of I-64) used to be the Achilles heel of AT&T in IL and now they're pretty much even to VZW in coverage. Only weakness I can think of is some of the old Cell1 territory in the east part of IL that they're trying to buy.
    The main areas I have an issue with them is along Route 24 in Fairbury, IL and also Toluca, IL. In Bloomington at&t doesn't have 700 liscenses, they actually launched us on band 5 850 (one of the first markets) but we don't really even need it, their grid is so dense here in town that you rarely ever drop off band 4. I'm not sure if they have the 700 licenses in the two towns I mentioned but if not that could explain why they are lacking in coverage there.

Quote Originally Posted by jlp2979 View Post
    Interesting. I am traveling tomorrow through Friday from Chicago to Carbondale, and then up to Elkhart, IN and back to Chicago. I will compare AT&T and VZW along the way, an iPhone for each. So far my experience with AT&T is that they have the coverage, but suffer from congestion like NONE other. Downtown Chicago loop has pockets of congestion for each, to be fair, but AT&T suffers more. Last month attended concerts at Alpine Valley in WI. AT&T was unusable the entire time, whereas later on in the night I was pulling 15Mb down with VZW in the same spot. Traveled recently down to rural central Illinois (through Champaign, to Decatur), Indianapolis area, south through Louisville, Nashville. In Decatur I had good AT&T signal but could not load data or make a call through my RingCentral app that makes calls over LTE connection. Call went right through on the VZW phone. AT&T was atrocious in Nashville despite strong signal. Except close to Vanderbilt, then data speed went up. My friends on VZW in Nashville had usable data all the time. What good is coverage if you can't handle capacity. The only reason I keep AT&T is that voice fallback to UMTS blows away 1X. If VZW keeps beefing up its density then I can use VoLTE as a daily driver. Hope VZW keeps this up so I can finally ditch AT&T for good. Seems promising, enjoying reading about the progress in this thread!
    If time isn't an issue on your trip, you should take a more rural route down to Carbondale. Bring 55 south down to Bloomington and then hop on US 51 south and take it the whole way, or 57 to Champaign then to Decatur and hop on 51 South. You could test coverage in some of the most rural areas of the state and a couple mid sized towns (Pana, Vandalia, Centralia, Sandoval, Du Quoin) along the way. Would probably add about an hour and a half to your drive though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Calabasas, CA.

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1440621792.414972.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  208.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1440621816.975196.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  209.8 KB

Further proof that a band-12 equipped iPhone 6S can't come soon enough. When VZW loses their (now small) coverage advantage, maybe they'll finally try to upgrade their 3G-only area to LTE.

via the HoFo App

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Feedback Score
    You sure NIMBY's aren't stymieing progress there?

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allograft View Post

via the HoFo App
    They are highly active in Cala. but I think the poster insinuated Verizon has not upgraded the area to LTE yet. 3G and 1X is so common around the LA/SFV area I wouldn't be able to tell myself if it's just bad LTE coverage or missing altogether.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Allograft View Post

via the HoFo App
    I'm sure it is a fight, but T-Mobile's got LTE inside at this location on Band 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcG View Post
    They are highly active in Cala. but I think the poster insinuated Verizon has not upgraded the area to LTE yet. 3G and 1X is so common around the LA/SFV area I wouldn't be able to tell myself if it's just bad LTE coverage or missing altogether.
    It's "covered" with LTE but it drops almost immediately to 3G/1x. The closest serving cell site has definitely not been upgraded to LTE on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I am traveling tomorrow through Friday from Chicago to Carbondale, and then up to Elkhart, IN and back to Chicago. I will compare AT&T and VZW along the way, an iPhone for each. So far my experience with AT&T is that they have the coverage, but suffer from congestion like NONE other. Downtown Chicago loop has pockets of congestion for each, to be fair, but AT&T suffers more. Last month attended concerts at Alpine Valley in WI. AT&T was unusable the entire time, whereas later on in the night I was pulling 15Mb down with VZW in the same spot. Traveled recently down to rural central Illinois (through Champaign, to Decatur), Indianapolis area, south through Louisville, Nashville. In Decatur I had good AT&T signal but could not load data or make a call through my RingCentral app that makes calls over LTE connection. Call went right through on the VZW phone. AT&T was atrocious in Nashville despite strong signal. Except close to Vanderbilt, then data speed went up. My friends on VZW in Nashville had usable data all the time. What good is coverage if you can't handle capacity. The only reason I keep AT&T is that voice fallback to UMTS blows away 1X. If VZW keeps beefing up its density then I can use VoLTE as a daily driver. Hope VZW keeps this up so I can finally ditch AT&T for good. Seems promising, enjoying reading about the progress in this thread!
    The main reason they are always unusable in many places or slow is because they don't have big swaths of mid or high band spectrum like any other carrier. Their density really isn't the issue. It's spectrum. Verizon has 20X20. While AT&T has 5x5 here and 10x10 there. With that being said I think in a lot of places AT&T does well with what they have. However they could do better.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    What area of Calabasas are you located in? I thought verizon had good coverage in Calabasas.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung S9, iPhone 8 RED
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeT85 View Post

If time isn't an issue on your trip, you should take a more rural route down to Carbondale. Bring 55 south down to Bloomington and then hop on US 51 south and take it the whole way, or 57 to Champaign then to Decatur and hop on 51 South. You could test coverage in some of the most rural areas of the state and a couple mid sized towns (Pana, Vandalia, Centralia, Sandoval, Du Quoin) along the way. Would probably add about an hour and a half to your drive though.
    Did the 1st leg of my trip today, Chicago to Carbondale. Took I-57 the whole way. I previously did work out of Decatur maybe a month or two ago, while stationary "downtown" I couldn't make a call over LTE on the AT&T phone despite 5 dots. VZW was rock solid.

Today to southern IL, both AT&T and VZW were very usable the whole way, however, AT&T was on 4G for many stretches once I got down to Gilman. Down further (Tuscola) I could not load a speed test w/ AT&T while VZW pulled 40Mb down on LTE. VZW stayed on usable LTE for 100% of the drive. I took a detour off of 57 through some town and drove past Big Muddy prison, forgot the town. Both were fine on LTE off the highway but VZW was always a bit faster until I got closer to 57 again, then AT&T won. The minimum I saw for the entire drive on VZW was 5Mb down, which is the limit of my interpretation of "usable" in 2015. And that low speed was rare. With AT&T multiple tests hovered between 3 and 10Mb down on HSPA, with several patches of 15-20Mb down when LTE came back. Once I hit the outskirts of Carbondale both are fine. In my hotel room off of Rt 13 and Reed Station my AT&T phone hits 12Mb down and VZW hits 22Mb down.

Tomorrow I will take 57 North to 70 East through Terre Haute and up a state hwy to 65 North to finally 80 East to South Bend / Elkhart, IN.

I continue to be very impressed with VZW data coverage and speed, have been using AT&T and VZW together for a few months and will be canceling one of them because I no longer need 2 lines for work. My non-scientific and layman impression is that VZW certainly is not letting its network rot here in IL except for that area southwest of Champaign that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    What area of Calabasas are you located in? I thought verizon had good coverage in Calabasas.

via the HoFo App
    LOL. Verizon has great 1x coverage in Calabasas. Their LTE is hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    FYI

If you want to verify if the site your connected to has LTE, or your just out of range of it

Using an app like LTE Discovery or Signalcheck Pro, if it's stated as eHRPD, that's an LTE tower, if you get the original EVDO Rev.A, that tower doesn't have LTE on it (yet)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeluscher159 View Post
    ...if you get the original EVDO Rev.A, that tower doesn't have LTE on it (yet)
    Hope you're driving through parts of Maine just for the scenery on your way to Canada...I have phones with EVDO literally burned into the screen.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Did the 1st leg of my trip today, Chicago to Carbondale. Took I-57 the whole way. I previously did work out of Decatur maybe a month or two ago, while stationary "downtown" I couldn't make a call over LTE on the AT&T phone despite 5 dots. VZW was rock solid.

Today to southern IL, both AT&T and VZW were very usable the whole way, however, AT&T was on 4G for many stretches once I got down to Gilman. Down further (Tuscola) I could not load a speed test w/ AT&T while VZW pulled 40Mb down on LTE. VZW stayed on usable LTE for 100% of the drive. I took a detour off of 57 through some town and drove past Big Muddy prison, forgot the town. Both were fine on LTE off the highway but VZW was always a bit faster until I got closer to 57 again, then AT&T won. The minimum I saw for the entire drive on VZW was 5Mb down, which is the limit of my interpretation of "usable" in 2015. And that low speed was rare. With AT&T multiple tests hovered between 3 and 10Mb down on HSPA, with several patches of 15-20Mb down when LTE came back. Once I hit the outskirts of Carbondale both are fine. In my hotel room off of Rt 13 and Reed Station my AT&T phone hits 12Mb down and VZW hits 22Mb down.

Tomorrow I will take 57 North to 70 East through Terre Haute and up a state hwy to 65 North to finally 80 East to South Bend / Elkhart, IN.

I continue to be very impressed with VZW data coverage and speed, have been using AT&T and VZW together for a few months and will be canceling one of them because I no longer need 2 lines for work. My non-scientific and layman impression is that VZW certainly is not letting its network rot here in IL except for that area southwest of Champaign that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Truth is, it would have been a lot worse without Alltel's towers and spectrum tossed in. That's honestly progress on AT&T's end here.

Verizon always had tremendous market share here in Southern Illinois. For a long time they were the only game in town.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast