Thread: phone for parent (who is using a flip-phone)

Feedback Score

phone for parent (who is using a flip-phone)

What's a good phone to replace my parents current LG flip phone? She only uses it on average ~10 minutes per month. She wants it for emergency usage and when she is out of town. It needs to be easy to use (she will never use data or texting). TIA

Feedback Score
    If she likes her phone, why not keep the phone and switch to a prepaid per-minute plan?

Feedback Score
    She knows her phone, therefore she likes it. The display is failing on it so it's a good time to get her something newer. I guess I'll look on craigslist for an older working Verizon branded phone.

Carrier(s)
    Black Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whalewang View Post
    She knows her phone, therefore she likes it. The display is failing on it so it's a good time to get her something newer. I guess I'll look on craigslist for an older working Verizon branded phone.
    Try to find her an exact replacement. It's hard to believe, but there are dealers on ebay selling new older model phones.

I just bought a flip phone and even though I have used them before, I had to spend 10 minutes, consult the book and use a magnifying glass to figure out what a notification symbol was trying to tell me.

Now I know that a little book with a red "X" in the lower right corner means I missed a call. You don't want to have to figure that out for your mom.

Feedback Score
    This is really great advice. Her previous phone is Virgin Mobile but LG but have the exact phone but for Verizon so I'll check that out.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    This is really great advice. Her previous phone is Virgin Mobile but LG but have the exact phone but for Verizon so I'll check that out.
    Check out Amazon.com and eBay, they both have older used and new phones.

My husband uses the Samsung Convoy U640, it's a good rugged flip phone that's not too complicated. I bought two since he likes it so he will have a spare, got one on eBay and other on Amazon.

Feedback Score
    This one looks interesting.

Feedback Score
    Really good advice about staying with a flipper. I've tried to get my elderly parents on smart phones many times and they just can't or won't make the adjustment. Finally got my mom (77) to learn how to use a tablet. After a few months of crying about how stupid touch screens are, she would now probably give the dog away before the tablet!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Keep i mind that a new unused Verizon prepaid phone will not activate on PPC. Can only be a used prepaid phone that was in Verizon service for 6+ months and released for postpaid service or on an MVNO. New Verizon postpaid phones can be activated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    This one looks interesting.
    That is a GSM phone. Has to be Verizon CDMA to work on PPS.

Feedback Score
    Verizon offers many basic flip phones like the LG Revere 3 and the Samsung Envoy 4 you can check out their site to choose one of the Verizon cell phones for seniors. Also they offers to pay the full phone price once or over a course of 24 months. For example you can get the LG Revere 3 for $50 as one payment or pay $2.08 per month for 24 months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny43 View Post
    Verizon offers many basic flip phones like the LG Revere 3 and the Samsung Envoy 4 you can check out their site to choose one of the Verizon cell phones for seniors. Also they offers to pay the full phone price once or over a course of 24 months. For example you can get the LG Revere 3 for $50 as one payment or pay $2.08 per month for 24 months.
    Agree with you, there're many Verizon flip phones for seniors. But these phones can only classified as easy-to-use phones and leak the important safety features like the emergency alert feature.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Really good advice about staying with a flipper. I've tried to get my elderly parents on smart phones many times and they just can't or won't make the adjustment. Finally got my mom (77) to learn how to use a tablet. After a few months of crying about how stupid touch screens are, she would now probably give the dog away before the tablet!!!!!
    They learn to love them. My parents are also in their 70's but have been using the iPhone since 2007 currently using the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus respectively.

I remember the 3 of us sitting down in their living room watching Steve Jobs iPhone announcement and both shrugged at the thought of buying something that would just be a fad and a waste of money. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdCrQpCG-3s

I had to use reverse engineering with them before they finally saw the light but it took several months of coaxing and coaching. For my mom she loves to cook so once the app store was ready on the iPhone I was able to get YouTube installed and showed how her to watch cooking shows. Then it was Facebook and the rest is history. For my dad he never calls anyone but he loves music and amateur photography. Being able to move his entire music library onto his phone and being able to take amazing photos on the same device (so he wouldn't have to carry 3) were the biggest selling points. Plus when he wants to ignore my mom he just puts on his headphones and listens away. My mom hates that haha.

My parents now refuse to use anything other than an iPhone. They throw their hands up at the thought of using a new Android.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017