Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Finally dumped "Big Red" so I can "Get More"

Feedback Score

Finally dumped "Big Red" so I can "Get More"

Finally fed up enough with Verizon to dump grandfathered unlimited data. Too much $$$, slow LTE speeds around here, no more ghost lines at $10/mo to keep upgrading with unlimited.

So T-Mobile did this for me:

-Bought out all my ETFs

-Unlimited Everything including unlimited high speed data for $100/mo for 2 lines.

-5 gigs free tethering for each line per month.

-Free T-Mobile LTE router.

Speedtest in Mt Holley NJ this afternoon.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1260576482

I'd say that'll do it...

Feedback Score
    Hi to Hoff T Mobile and if I did not travel to this one particular place in the mountains when they have no service I would switch to. Not having to worry about data limits is nice even if I don't use much of it. Hope you enjoy T Mobile but I never would have given up unlimited data on Verizon.

Feedback Score

I gave up (sold) my unlimited data line on Verizon and came to T-Mobile as well. I honestly can say I enjoy the experience. The only time I'm reminded I'm not on Verizon is when I'm with a building that I get no service due to T-Mobile's signal not penetrating the structure. But the trade off is at work I lose LTE signal from all carriers and Verizon would drop down to unusable 3G while T-Mobile drops down to very usable 4G. I mean I can actually watch Sling TV and listen to Spotify radio stations which is perfect. I think my experience will only get better if Apple releases an iPhone this year with band 12 support as the two areas I frequent regularly (ATL and DFW) will take advantage of it.

Pro's:

Truly unlimited data
    Wifi calling and VoLTE
    Gogo inflight integration
    Unlimited international data
    Match data tablet promo for $10
    Hotspot with 5GB included

Con's:
    Poor coverage inside certain buildings
    Rural coverage not as widespread
    Roaming almost non existent IMHO
    Pricing not as competitive as Sprint or Cricket in certain areas although value may appear better
    No longer allowing corporate discounts for private employers

via the HoFo App
    Last edited by coorey; 04-28-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The title of this thread reminded me of good ol' GSM-only days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkW-QIFqqqg
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Since you are here on HoFo, it can be assumed that your eyes were wide open and that you were aware of the trade-offs. I hate it when people, who did no due-diligence, turn around and whine and cry about how they were "tricked into" switching.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Since you are here on HoFo, it can be assumed that your eyes were wide open and that you were aware of the trade-offs. I hate it when people, who did no due-diligence, turn around and whine and cry about how they were "tricked into" switching.
    I don't think anyone in the thread has whined about switching unless I'm missing something. The OP made the switch and appears satisfied. I myself stated the same but listed pros and cons as the grass is never greener on the other side. So whom exactly were you referring to with your post, just seems completely misplaced.

via the HoFo App

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey View Post
    I don't think anyone in the thread has whined about switching unless I'm missing something. The OP made the switch and appears satisfied. I myself stated the same but listed pros and cons as the grass is never greener on the other side. So whom exactly were you referring to with your post, just seems completely misplaced.

via the HoFo App
    I think he was talking about other threads in the T-mobile section of the site where people complain about the fact that Tmobile does not have great coverage like Verizon and they were told that they would have coverage everywhere....
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720
    Nextel/Boost/ATT
    * 10: BB8350i, 2720
    * 09: i9, BB7520
    * 08: Tilt, i450
    * 07: W810i, A707, 8125, BlackJack
    * 06: L6, Z520, 6682
    VZ/TM/ATT
    * 05: 7135, i600, V551, 6230, 6620, Z600
    * 04: V300, T610, 6035, 3390
    * 03: T720C
    * 02: Advx CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey View Post
    As I said, "Since you are here on HoFo...." It's not uncommon for someone to show up on the T-Mobile support forums complaining that they were "tricked" into switching and now have no service, T-Mobile's a "scam", "going to tell all my friends", etc.

Feedback Score
    They are not. Yes it is true Verizon works better in some places but tmo works very well in many places.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As I said, "Since you are here on HoFo...." It's not uncommon for someone to show up on the T-Mobile support forums complaining that they were "tricked" into switching and now have no service, T-Mobile's a "scam", "going to tell all my friends", etc.
    I know what you are saying. This board gets a lot of attacks from other network fans that go out of their way to attack T-Mobile.

scottydsntknow that started this thread is happy he switched to T-Mobile and had a great experiences. Lot's of the time we get a Op that seems they had an agenda to just attack T-Mobile with blanket strawman facts that have little truth or opinions from a long time ago.

However when someone starts one of these positive threads on this T-Mobile board it draws out the haters from the other networks that can't seem to stand anyone liking T-Mobile service or having a positive experiences with T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ & iPP 12.9”
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & AT&T
    Feedback Score

I have been with T-Mobile for 6.5 years and been loving it. Of course there are areas that I don't have service, but that doesn't happen that often.

Feedback Score
    I guess they like beeing riped off

Feedback Score
    All 4 carriers have blanket coverage in this state so was not worried about that. Verizon LTE speeds are actually very slow here, probably because I'd say most people have Verizon and clog up the network.

ATT does not offer unlimited so I did not even consider them. Yeah they offer rollover data but that's still a 10 gig monthly cap unless you pay more $$.

Sprint has the $100/mo for 2 unlimited lines with easy pay. However, no free tethering offered, no native wifi calling and no free router. Tethering on Sprint is appx. $10/gig.

T-Mobile has the $100/mo for 2 unlimited lines with easy pay thing AND gave us 5 gigs of tethering PER LINE for free as well as the free LTE Gigabit router and the phones have native wifi calling. Prices also a little better on the phones and the insurance includes the "jump" plan too.

Very happy with my switch. I really don't get the people who switch carriers before researching coverage maps, comparing/contrasting all the options and features with other carriers and then cry about how they were "scammed". No, they weren't scammed, they are just idiots.

As for me, I'm already getting MUCH better data speeds, like... honestly even back when I had a T-Bolt when they first came out on Verizon LTE I don't remember getting better than 35mbps down. I was getting between 40 and 70 on T-Mobile yesterday all day in town. Calling quality is good and the wifi calling works seamlessly on my regular wifi. When the T-Mo router comes in it is supposed to be even better and give VOIP priority over any other internet traffic which is good if I am streaming or DLing something since I do always have the phones on wifi at home.

The tethering was especially a big deal for my wife who will not let me root/jailbreak her phones so no free tether hack like I had on VZW with my phone.

So yes, I did do my "due diligence". People who don't have nobody to blame but themselves and way too many ppl have had their hands held all their lives IMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
    Sprint has the $100/mo for 2 unlimited lines with easy pay. However, no free tethering offered, no native wifi calling and no free router. Tethering on Sprint is appx. $10/gig.

T-Mobile has the $100/mo for 2 unlimited lines with easy pay thing AND gave us 5 gigs of tethering PER LINE for free as well as the free LTE Gigabit router and the phones have native wifi calling. Prices also a little better on the phones and the insurance includes the "jump" plan too.
    Not to mention the even more added value of the different un-carrier events (international roaming, GoGo in-flight texting, etc.).

If T-Mobile service is adequate for someone then it's a no brainer to switch and use them.

It never ceases to amaze me all of those people that use other carriers in urban and sub-urban areas where T-Mobile works just fine, yet they never leave those areas.

If you like your overages, then by all means have fun.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I live in the northeast. I mean yeah in some rural areas around here T-Mobile feels like Verizon felt back 3 or 4 years ago as far as coverage but I'm never without service for more than a few minutes while I am driving. I never need data while I am driving because all my music is on the phone as mp3s or cached from Slacker just because its always more reliable even when you are in a full LTE area.

However in most areas around here its great service. If you live in a city... you'd be an idiot to have a postpaid carrier besides T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast