Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Finally dumped "Big Red" so I can "Get More"

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey View Post
    I gave up (sold) my unlimited data line on Verizon and came to T-Mobile as well. I honestly can say I enjoy the experience. The only time I'm reminded I'm not on Verizon is when I'm with a building that I get no service due to T-Mobile's signal not penetrating the structure. But the trade off is at work I lose LTE signal from all carriers and Verizon would drop down to unusable 3G while T-Mobile drops down to very usable 4G. I mean I can actually watch Sling TV and listen to Spotify radio stations which is perfect. I think my experience will only get better if Apple releases an iPhone this year with band 12 support as the two areas I frequent regularly (ATL and DFW) will take advantage of it.

Pro's:

Truly unlimited data
    Wifi calling and VoLTE
    Gogo inflight integration
    Unlimited international data
    Match data tablet promo for $10
    Hotspot with 5GB included

Con's:
    Poor coverage inside certain buildings
    Rural coverage not as widespread
    Roaming almost non existent IMHO
    Pricing not as competitive as Sprint or Cricket in certain areas although value may appear better
    No longer allowing corporate discounts for private employers

via the HoFo App
    Just as an FYI, they do have corporate discounts from private employers again, and the discount is massive. Up to 50%. The caveat, is that your private employer has to be a t-mobile customer too.

Feedback Score
    Look what came in today!

All I can say is WOW! Pile of crap fios 2.4ghz router was getting like 3mbps down and was getting connection errors uploading at the furthest point in the house from where our office is (and where my wife likes to sit and relax). Plugged this baby in, jumped onto 5ghz and 50/50 and I have 60/60 fios service so no more calling issues in the house on wifi.

This router is T-Mobile's variant of the Asus RT-AC68U router which is a $180-$200 router depending on where you get it. I got it for FREE as long as I give it back if I leave or I just own it after 4 years.

And already tested it out torrenting at 7mbps on a laptop and making a phone call on wifi. Crystal clear so I'm assuming the T-Mobile firmware is working like it should to prioritize VOIP.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition 32GB 2015
    Carrier(s)
    ex Verizon Wireless - Currently: T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
    Look what came in today!

All I can say is WOW! Pile of crap fios 2.4ghz router was getting like 3mbps down and was getting connection errors uploading at the furthest point in the house from where our office is (and where my wife likes to sit and relax). Plugged this baby in, jumped onto 5ghz and 50/50 and I have 60/60 fios service so no more calling issues in the house on wifi.

This router is T-Mobile's variant of the Asus RT-AC68U router which is a $180-$200 router depending on where you get it. I got it for FREE as long as I give it back if I leave or I just own it after 4 years.

And already tested it out torrenting at 7mbps on a laptop and making a phone call on wifi. Crystal clear so I'm assuming the T-Mobile firmware is working like it should to prioritize VOIP.
    I have fios as well but why did you expect from the crappy actiontec to get full speeds on wifi? lol

fios also does not have 60/60 service, it's 50/50 but you get little extra if you have tv.

Fios 1024/1024

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Look what came in today!

I don't know what firmware it came with, but mine has had two updates. I had to manually do the first update since Asus screwed up the filename on their server and the router wouldn't recognize it. Once it was installed the newer firmware installed automatically.

Instructions are here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6#post15861366

Read the entire thread for good measure. Note: Don't save the firmware file onto a drive attached to the router, it won't work. Save it to a PC and upload it that way.

Feedback Score
    Personally I think you should drop Verizon TV as well and go with Time Warner Cable is it is in your area. I do not know where all the cover but it might be worth a shot. We do not have television but we have high speed internet at the house and it is $40 a month. That is very good. No data cap either I would ditch Verizon for everything.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11. Past: iPhone 8, iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, Moto E, iPhone 5c,
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | US Mobile |Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm also thinking about making the switch and taking advantage of the ETF payoff deal. I have Verizon now. I have less than 6 months to go on my contract.

What I am not clear on is...... do I have to finance a phone with them? I understand (and correct me if I am wrong) that both TMO and Sprint want you to trade in your old phone when you take the "switch and we'll pay off your ETFs" deal. Fine no problem. I have the Moto E that VZW activated on my post-paid plan. I got it for $70, no big deal.

However, what if I don't want to buy a phone through Tmobile. Let's say I get a good deal on a Galaxy S 5 on ebay and I want to use that phone. Can i?

Feedback Score
    Has to be threw them

Device(s)
    iPhone 11. Past: iPhone 8, iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, Moto E, iPhone 5c,
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | US Mobile |Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech guy4 View Post
    Has to be threw them
    OK -- then that's not really a good deal to me personally. $50 + $25 for the phone (rough monthly price of a top tier smartphone / 24 payments) plus tax. Wife, daughter and I pay $72 each with Verizon on a family plan w/ 10 GB incl taxes. We are not on their EDGE plan.

I could do the financing plan on my line -- they won't. I would save $25 a month and pay $25 for phone financing.

Let's say I brought them all to TMO. We did the up to 4 lines for $100. We all finance phones. That's going to be another $90. $190 plus tax, we are right up to our $210 per month. It's not a big change.
    I know someone will say 10 GB is not unlimited. For us it is.

Am I missing something?

Device(s)
    apple iphone6
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile, testing verizon att
    Feedback Score
    Finally fed up enough with Verizon to dump grandfathered unlimited data. Too much $$$, slow LTE speeds around here, no more ghost lines at $10/mo to keep upgrading with unlimited.

So T-Mobile did this for me:

-Bought out all my ETFs

-Unlimited Everything including unlimited high speed data for $100/mo for 2 lines.

-5 gigs free tethering for each line per month.

-Free T-Mobile LTE router.

Speedtest in Mt Holley NJ this afternoon.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1260576482

I'd say that'll do it...
    yeah good luck when you hit all that 2g. tmobile still has a lot of work to do.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Steak Analogy

Years back my wife's little brother (then 11) went out to dinner with the family. His parents let him order anything he wanted. He ordered a steak dinner. He ordered it rare. It tasted good, but it looked bloody. So the waitress comes along, and he asks her if they can put it back on the grill (so it doesn't look bloody) which she does. It comes back cooked through. He then complains that it lacks flavor...

T-Mobile to me is like a juicy steak that I'd love to order, but I know I won't be happy once I get it.

I really do need it both ways, and the coverage piece for me isn't dispensable. So I live with less than awesome Verizon, but I haven't given up anything I need for something I merely want.

-Dan

PS: And yes, I'll watch with interest for the day when T-Mobile can do both.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    After the phones are payed off it is a good dea

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Longtime lurker on this site, very informative stuff. Today I ported my personal line from VZW to T-Mobile, and if all goes well I'll switch my work line over. Not sure I'll keep T-Mobile but I'll see how things go. My office is in downtown Chicago, and while in the loop during peak hours VZW consistently pulls 75Mb down which is LOL-worthy every time I run a speedtest. T-Mobile LTE crawls to 1-2Mb down, if I turn off LTE and use 4G it gives me about 4 Mb down. Bad pocket of the loop I was told at the store. Also live in a high-rise and have to use a VZW network extender to make calls reliably. Walked around my usual areas today after work and T-Mobile LTE averaged around 10 Mb down, saw up to 15, which is adequate for me I guess.

Call quality on VZW is so bad (when not on VoLTE), all my friends and family have AT&T and I'm told that is why, they can never hear me the first time and they sound garbled as well- apparently CDMA/1x & WCDMA/3/4G calls don't play as nicely together. The call quality I've experienced in 1 day on T-Mobile is absolutely incredible though. Spoke with a friend who I usually can never understand, and the call was crystal clear while on 4G, not even VoLTE.

Here's my issue. Due to my office and apartment, when I'm at home and at work I need to (mostly) rely on WiFi and WiFi calling to make calls and get useable data with T-Mobile. 4G did work tonight at home and didn't drop the call, but I did notice the signal was completely lost a couple times tonight while not on a call. WiFi calling btw is working perfectly for me at home and at my office.

Do I keep T-Mobile for the outstanding call quality despite my very weak signal issues at home and at office? I absolutely love WiFi calling and find it to be a killer feature. I'm not a big data user, average 2-4gb per month. I actually still use my smartphone as a phone and call clarity is important to me. It doesn't feel right to me to keep T-Mobile if I have to rely on WiFi calling so often? Sorry for the long post, would love to hear from people who have switched who rely on WiFi calling most of the time like I may have to do.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlp2979 View Post
    Longtime lurker on this site, very informative stuff. Today I ported my personal line from VZW to T-Mobile, and if all goes well I'll switch my work line over. Not sure I'll keep T-Mobile but I'll see how things go. My office is in downtown Chicago, and while in the loop during peak hours VZW consistently pulls 75Mb down which is LOL-worthy every time I run a speedtest. T-Mobile LTE crawls to 1-2Mb down, if I turn off LTE and use 4G it gives me about 4 Mb down. Bad pocket of the loop I was told at the store. Also live in a high-rise and have to use a VZW network extender to make calls reliably. Walked around my usual areas today after work and T-Mobile LTE averaged around 10 Mb down, saw up to 15, which is adequate for me I guess.

Call quality on VZW is so bad (when not on VoLTE), all my friends and family have AT&T and I'm told that is why, they can never hear me the first time and they sound garbled as well- apparently CDMA/1x & WCDMA/3/4G calls don't play as nicely together. The call quality I've experienced in 1 day on T-Mobile is absolutely incredible though. Spoke with a friend who I usually can never understand, and the call was crystal clear while on 4G, not even VoLTE.

Here's my issue. Due to my office and apartment, when I'm at home and at work I need to (mostly) rely on WiFi and WiFi calling to make calls and get useable data with T-Mobile. 4G did work tonight at home and didn't drop the call, but I did notice the signal was completely lost a couple times tonight while not on a call. WiFi calling btw is working perfectly for me at home and at my office.

Do I keep T-Mobile for the outstanding call quality despite my very weak signal issues at home and at office? I absolutely love WiFi calling and find it to be a killer feature. I'm not a big data user, average 2-4gb per month. I actually still use my smartphone as a phone and call clarity is important to me. It doesn't feel right to me to keep T-Mobile if I have to rely on WiFi calling so often? Sorry for the long post, would love to hear from people who have switched who rely on WiFi calling most of the time like I may have to do.
    June 1st they're supposed to increase LTE bandwidth from 10x10 to 15x15, so you should expect some form of speed improvement around then.

IMO as long as the wifi calling works seamlessly then I see absolutely no problem in relying on it for service. If you want you can get the free Cellspot router which has QoS for wifi calling and excellent range, or I think you can get a free network extender instead. If you pickup any kind of LTE at home then the wifi calling will hand off to that when you leave the wifi range.

Again, IMO, since call quality is important to you and as long as wifi calling works well I see absolutely NO problem in relying on it. I was two seconds from switching to T-Mo before going to AT&T and I would've been using the wifi calling at home even though I have strong LTE signal here. I would've had to rely on the wifi at work though, which didn't bother me one bit. (I had the test drive phone)

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I get good service in most places i used tmo. I love the network and tmo all around. I am now checking out Cricket because one place i travel in the mountains tmo does not cover. If tmo works good for you i say keep it. I find it funny people say how bad verizon call sound. Tmo did have better sound for me to.

Feedback Score
    How do we feel about crickets? I am checking them out now. I love to see mobile when I used it unfortunately one place that I travel I can not get it so now I am checking out cricket which has a really good deal right now. I am going to go back to the store where I bought my cricket SIM card and get a phone today so that I can test it as it is not very compatible with my verizon phone. I say to anyone we have Verizon or AT&T to squeak toy company like T Mobile or cricket in order to stop supporting the outrageous prices but leave big guys have especially the data plans does can run almost $400 a month for a tiny amount of data. That right there for me when I would be meeting Verizon as long as another service can work for me and 95 percent of the time tmobile works perfect for me. Also if you have T Mobile in your area they are in my feelings among the best of the best. nice sound quality is clear and the data is fast and it is very reliable and good network they are building it the right way. there have been many times I wanted to switch over and support them even if it does not work for a vacation but I am going to try cricket as well. If you guys have any feelings on cricket let me know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast