Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Finally dumped "Big Red" so I can "Get More"

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlp2979 View Post
    Longtime lurker on this site, very informative stuff. Today I ported my personal line from VZW to T-Mobile, and if all goes well I'll switch my work line over. Not sure I'll keep T-Mobile but I'll see how things go. My office is in downtown Chicago, and while in the loop during peak hours VZW consistently pulls 75Mb down which is LOL-worthy every time I run a speedtest. T-Mobile LTE crawls to 1-2Mb down, if I turn off LTE and use 4G it gives me about 4 Mb down. Bad pocket of the loop I was told at the store. Also live in a high-rise and have to use a VZW network extender to make calls reliably. Walked around my usual areas today after work and T-Mobile LTE averaged around 10 Mb down, saw up to 15, which is adequate for me I guess.

Call quality on VZW is so bad (when not on VoLTE), all my friends and family have AT&T and I'm told that is why, they can never hear me the first time and they sound garbled as well- apparently CDMA/1x & WCDMA/3/4G calls don't play as nicely together. The call quality I've experienced in 1 day on T-Mobile is absolutely incredible though. Spoke with a friend who I usually can never understand, and the call was crystal clear while on 4G, not even VoLTE.

Here's my issue. Due to my office and apartment, when I'm at home and at work I need to (mostly) rely on WiFi and WiFi calling to make calls and get useable data with T-Mobile. 4G did work tonight at home and didn't drop the call, but I did notice the signal was completely lost a couple times tonight while not on a call. WiFi calling btw is working perfectly for me at home and at my office.

Do I keep T-Mobile for the outstanding call quality despite my very weak signal issues at home and at office? I absolutely love WiFi calling and find it to be a killer feature. I'm not a big data user, average 2-4gb per month. I actually still use my smartphone as a phone and call clarity is important to me. It doesn't feel right to me to keep T-Mobile if I have to rely on WiFi calling so often? Sorry for the long post, would love to hear from people who have switched who rely on WiFi calling most of the time like I may have to do.
    I absolutely hear ya on the "garbled" sound from VZW. Personally, I have find Hindi/Indian speakers are the hardest to hear (might be my years of blaring concert music though). AT&T and TMO have are very clear, though neither of those two have good enough coverage in the mountains of California where I spend most of my time. Thus I am still on VZW. If AT&T would just put up some more towers, then I might be swayed to switch back.

Feedback Score
    I am NOT going to say that Verizon sound quality sucks because it is clear enough and I can understand people but I was absolutely blown away when using t-mobile and this month was testing cricket. It is a whole lot better or seems to me and I used three thousand minutes a month so that is important but I cannot afford to get a new phone so I am going to stay on Verizon for now and after my contract is up and I am ready for a new phone I may go to cricket.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One final update, gave T-Mobile a test drive for 5 days and it just didn't work out (Chicago downtown, Evanston, and drive from Chicago to Milwaukee were my locations over these 5 days). Yes Chicago is blanketed in LTE, but that signal is not at all strong at least where I was at. Downtown I was pulling .15 Mb down, though a bit further out I got around 16 which is great. That lasted for all of a few minutes though, very spotty. Drive up I-94 to Milwaukee I kept the phone on 4G and not LTE since signal was so weak. Still dropped to Edge in Racine despite what the latest coverage map shows. Using an iPhone 6 that has all the necessary bands. Deal breaker was while in Evanston, granted I was indoors but was only on 2nd floor and could not make a call. Went down to lobby and only 1 bar of 4G, call went through but no data. Not acceptable at all. I didn't expect a consistent 10-20 Mb down on LTE or even HSPA for that matter, but more times than not the service just crawled for me. As I stated earlier I can't go back to VZW call quality after using T-Mobile, when it worked it was incredible. I decided to switch to AT&T yesterday and while not as speedy as VZW in the Chicago loop (not even close) the call quality is still exceptional IMO and to my surprise LTE signal strength is 86 dbm inside my 40th floor apartment. I was forced to use wifi calling (which was also incredible) with T-Mobile while at home and at work.

REALLY wanted to keep T-Mobile, I almost feel bad for not supporting their cause. But I need reliable service, it just didn't work out for me. Thanks guys for all of your opinions. Hope T-Mobile continues to make progress and can get some of that 700mhz (or 600mhz) here in Chicago. Damn Gary, IN, and channel 51 down there ruining things for us Chicagoans!

Feedback Score
    That is understandible. I think it is strange verizon is so costly but that sound quality is not the best.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlp2979 View Post
    One final update, gave T-Mobile a test drive for 5 days and it just didn't work out (Chicago downtown, Evanston, and drive from Chicago to Milwaukee were my locations over these 5 days). Yes Chicago is blanketed in LTE, but that signal is not at all strong at least where I was at. Downtown I was pulling .15 Mb down, though a bit further out I got around 16 which is great. That lasted for all of a few minutes though, very spotty. Drive up I-94 to Milwaukee I kept the phone on 4G and not LTE since signal was so weak. Still dropped to Edge in Racine despite what the latest coverage map shows. Using an iPhone 6 that has all the necessary bands. Deal breaker was while in Evanston, granted I was indoors but was only on 2nd floor and could not make a call. Went down to lobby and only 1 bar of 4G, call went through but no data. Not acceptable at all. I didn't expect a consistent 10-20 Mb down on LTE or even HSPA for that matter, but more times than not the service just crawled for me. As I stated earlier I can't go back to VZW call quality after using T-Mobile, when it worked it was incredible. I decided to switch to AT&T yesterday and while not as speedy as VZW in the Chicago loop (not even close) the call quality is still exceptional IMO and to my surprise LTE signal strength is 86 dbm inside my 40th floor apartment. I was forced to use wifi calling (which was also incredible) with T-Mobile while at home and at work.

REALLY wanted to keep T-Mobile, I almost feel bad for not supporting their cause. But I need reliable service, it just didn't work out for me. Thanks guys for all of your opinions. Hope T-Mobile continues to make progress and can get some of that 700mhz (or 600mhz) here in Chicago. Damn Gary, IN, and channel 51 down there ruining things for us Chicagoans!
    at&t is still a better choice then VZW in the Chicago market. I actually just tested out VZW yesterday and today on my iPhone 6 and was appalled here in Northwest, IN. I always knew they had very very light site spacing (originally built with analog 850 in mind in the early 80s with few tower additions since), but never believed that Band 13 couldn't do the job. I was wrong, it held on to weak B13 outdoors but indoors forget about it. Plus band 4 came and went like a cheap hooker.

I'm sure it works fine and all but I think falling off LTE frequently is a big deal breaker when you have so much low band spectrum. at&t's network is spaced well for PCS around here so B17 also covers very well with minimal holes.

Oh and one question, is your iPhone 6 working on at&t's VoLTE?

Feedback Score
    Alot of people tell me atnt has the better network over all.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    at&t is still a better choice then VZW in the Chicago market. I actually just tested out VZW yesterday and today on my iPhone 6 and was appalled here in Northwest, IN. I always knew they had very very light site spacing (originally built with analog 850 in mind in the early 80s with few tower additions since), but never believed that Band 13 couldn't do the job. I was wrong, it held on to weak B13 outdoors but indoors forget about it. Plus band 4 came and went like a cheap hooker.

I'm sure it works fine and all but I think falling off LTE frequently is a big deal breaker when you have so much low band spectrum. at&t's network is spaced well for PCS around here so B17 also covers very well with minimal holes.

Oh and one question, is your iPhone 6 working on at&t's VoLTE?
    Thanks for your insight, that's interesting. I never had a problem with VZW while in Gary, it was slower but still was useable. And yes my iPhone 6 works with AT&T and T-Mobile VoLTE just fine. It is a Verizon "branded" iPhone but can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. No adjustment of settings was needed, just inserted the sim card.

Feedback Score
    Sono APN settings were required? Just put in the new SIM card and that is it. I read something online where you need to put in the new SIM card and connect it to iTunes to install the new carrier settings does this sound true?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech guy4 View Post
    Alot of people tell me atnt has the better network over all.
    Around here I would consider them the most "well rounded" out of any of them. If Sprint ever gets it's act together with it's cell site signal optimization they'll be the one to out do at&t. T-Mobile can't really out do any of them until they get low band spectrum. and VZW just needs to densify....ALOT.

Feedback Score
    Maybe in that respect the iPhone is better and more user friendly than Android.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sono APN settings were required? Just put in the new SIM card and that is it. I read something online where you need to put in the new SIM card and connect it to iTunes to install the new carrier settings does this sound true?
    Nope. When I was at T-Mobile store and ported in from Verizon they just put the sim in and restarted the phone. A T-Mobile carrier update message popped up and that was it. From what I remember the APN setting was "something.fast.something." Lol, sorry that prob doesn't help, it was adjusted automatically as far as I could see. And yesterday when porting into AT&T they just popped the sim card in and it works. No iTunes involvement whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    So I guess an iPhone 5c going from Verizon to cricket would be much the less the same process. For some reason that did not happen on my android. it sent me a message with the APN settings but for some reason I could not pass on it using my accessibility. I surely hope everything goes well. Maybe iPhones are more user friendly in this regard. Thank you for your input I greatly appreciate it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So I guess an iPhone 5c going from Verizon to cricket would be much the less the same process. For some reason that did not happen on my android. it sent me a message with the APN settings but for some reason I could not pass on it using my accessibility. I surely hope everything goes well. Maybe iPhones are more user friendly in this regard. Thank you for your input I greatly appreciate it.
    I would think so, Cricket runs on AT&T's network right? Here is the link to Apple's site regarding the specs of the iPhone 5C. Looks like the CDMA and GSM versions (except for Sprint) are identical except that the CDMA (Verizon) version also works on the GSM networks. I'd think that just inserting the sim would work just fine since it works fine like that on T-Mobile and AT&T. No experience with Cricket though so I'm not sure.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/specs/

Feedback Score
    Still here and still on T-Mo. Wife is actually a little... meh about the iphone just like I told her she would be going from a G3 to the 6. She is hoping she'll be eligible for the free 6S upgrade for certain T-Mo customers but she might not be.

Honestly thinking of just paying the thing off and selling it and then doing the payment thing on the G4.

Also the iphone's wifi calling has been really sketchy while whatever program T-Mo puts on the Androids has been perfect. My G2 has yet to drop a call or have issues in the house on the wifi. Wife's iphone will often not pick up the wifi calling or will get really spotty wifi calling even with the T-Mo hotspot (ASUS dual band AC1900 router) on 5ghz and pulling a 50/50 speedtest anywhere in the house.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That is understandible. I think it is strange verizon is so costly but that sound quality is not the best.
    Saldy... it has nothing to really do with the cost of the service.
    Verizon's 1x voice (EVRC codec ?) is not all that great - i used my neighbor's droid, and the voice quality reminds me of AMR-Half rate - at best.
    In Nor-Cal, AT&T has migrated to VoLTE for voice, and I haven't used it on AT&T, but on T-Mobile, its VERY clear. I used to think AMR-Full Rate and EFR were as good as it could be, but I was wrong... VoLTE voice quality is REALLY good. Its best when going VoLTE to VoLTE device (eg. T-Mo to T-Mo or similar).

I sympathize with the earlier thread - I've had coworkers in India which I've had issues understanding with traditional VoIP, mostly due to the line quality on the other end.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast