Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I regret every positive remark I've ever made about Straight Talk.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The fine came from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was glad to get away from ST. Deceptive advertising. Seemingly random throttling. It was a bad experience for me.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    No, the company has proven many times they are scum with no ethics, purposefully lying to their customers, to the point where they've even been fined by the usually-industry-captive FCC.

And yes they throttle randomly, starting way earlier than the limits you're paying for.

And they prove customer-service incompetence with nearly every interaction.

It's worth paying a lot more to never have to deal with this company again in your life.
    I agree....
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post
    9.5 times out of 10 it's not Straight Talk or any other MVNO, it's the phone and/or the user whose doing something wrong, but they blame big bad Slim over and over and over, lol.
    If by "user's fault," you mean "nothing more than paying my bill," then you would be correct.

I've been in the PCS business since 2005 doing everything from general billing to handset repair. Search my post history and you'll see the evidence.

Regardless, I've learned my lesson and I've started the "stop payment" process with my bank.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
    I have never been so disgusted with a company in my life. Keep in mind, I was an advocate for Straight Talk, until today. I'm switching companies, and I'm not looking back.

Today, at approximately 3 PM EST, I noticed my data wasn't functioning. I could make and receive phone calls and text messages, but data wouldn't work. When I attempted to access a website, I would repeatedly get "Webpage not found". I decided to take a drive to make sure it wasn't a data outage in my area. It wasn't, as I drove to another city and still had the issue.

I called Straight Talk.

Representative (We'll just call her #1, because I went through five of them. Yes, 5!) #1 after waiting on hold with her while she "navigated her system" for 10 minutes, advised that I would need to call from another phone.

I called back, and spoke with Representative #2. Representative #2 took my through verifying wireless networks was enabled, to powering the phone off, then back on. He then advised me of their throttling policy, which I proved shouldn't affect me because I just refilled yesterday. He quickly changed his tune. Representative #2 stated that was all he could do and I needed to be transferred to "a higher technical support representative".

I was transferred to Representative #3. Representative #3, again, went through wireless networking and powering the phone off, as well as doing a master reset on the device. I knew I would lose everything, and that wasn't a problem. I did everything only for him to respond with, "I see your refill is dated 5/4. I need you to turn off your device, wait an hour, try again, and call us back." C'mon guy, I'm not stupid. I've worked technical support and know that lousy technicians will do that type of garbage to fish the problem off to someone else. Needless to say, I spoke up and told him that wasn't acceptable as the phone wouldn't be working at all -- voice, sms, data -- nothing. He quickly transferred me to someone else.

I was transferred to Representative #4. This poor girl didn't have a clue what she was doing. Again, I had to explain my situation, and again, go through master reset, checking wireless networks, and checking APN settings. At this point, I told myself that when the call hits the 60 minute mark, I was hanging up, done with troubleshooting, and calling for a refund. At exactly 60 minutes, I hung up and called back for a refund.

I called back, and answered Representative #5. I kid you not, before I could even say a word, I got the dreaded, "Hold for 1-3 minutes while my system boots up." Again, I've worked technical support. Does your system need gas? Is it really that outdated that it has to reboot every time someone calls in? Five minutes into the call, again, "Please wait 1-3 minutes, my system is having an issue." I spoke up and said, "I've been on the call for five minutes already, and you haven't so much as acknowledged that I'm here. You haven't asked 'How is your day?' What can I help you with? Nothing." He stated, "I can't do anything when my system doesn't work." What!? What in the hell kind of business are you!? No kidding, 14-minutes into the call I get, "I'm going to have to do this manually. Paperwork. So, in order to get everything going, I need you to wait another 3-5 minutes to get everything." At this point, I was an hour and 15 minutes into dealing with them, and I hung up.

That said, I've decided to challenge the refill charge with my bank because I haven't been able to use it. Even if I don't get it back, it's a cheap $45 lesson learned.

When I'm sitting in a conversation with Straight Talk thinking, "I'd rather be dealing with Comcast right now," you know there's a problem.

Straight Talk, I'm taking my money elsewhere, jerks.
    Rep #5 cant ask how your day is since his computer is not working, lol. Every Verizon rep always as the second sentence asks me how my day is. Do these ST reps even know what a smartphone is without their script? I wonder if they even have a Employee of the month with all of them not actually helping you, maybe it is like this "Joe Schmo gets Employee of the month for being the worst rep in the company" Everybody cheers.

Cricket is alright but since AT&T refuses to do any network upgrades in my area, T-Mobile and Verizon has faster data and work better. Verizon just upped Prepaid to 2GB's with Autopay for the $45 plan.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 100 Megs per second internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: AT&T Prepaid as primary and secondary carrier.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When I disputed my Straight Talk charge they didn't even reply to the dispute with my bank. Which is a good thing because I automatically won & got my money back!

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    so what happened to me as I basically said hey my data is not working they tried to activate another sim for me to put in my phone that didn't work they hung up on me after an hour so then I tried to port to another phone I had and that didn't go through and since I deactivated my old phone now I have no phone no phone number they're supposedly sending me and Sim in the mail that supposedly ready to go even though I told them I have like an extra 5 brand new Verizon nano Sim laying around but apparently they need to send me one if I do get my number back that I've had for 8 years mind you and my job posts it all over cuz I'm on call for work im porting it right to Google Voice I would have dinner originally cuz my calls were still working but I didn't realize that Google Voice has to call you when you have to punch in a number I was so pissed at myself and I've been an advocate of Straight Talk for 6 years now but after this I can't recommend it to anybody

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sorry what was your question?

Try breaking up that stream of consciousness with some full stops and line breaks.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I regret every positive remark I've ever made about Straight Talk.

If you do use ST, I would recommend not porting in an important number. Port your number to Google or ring.to, and then sign up for ST with whatever number they give you. This saves a lot of pain if things go south.

This isn't particular to ST. I would recommend the same thing with any MVNO as their practices around porting are often dodgy.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    If you do use ST, I would recommend not porting in an important number. Port your number to Google or ring.to, and then sign up for ST with whatever number they give you. This saves a lot of pain if things go south.

This isn't particular to ST. I would recommend the same thing with any MVNO as their practices around porting are often dodgy.
    Yep. I'd pitch the SIM and spend $8 on a new one before wasting time with ST tech support. The transfer service option on the website works just fine.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Update: Still not working! Credit challenge via bank complete. Screw you, Straight Talk.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Great... and I want to get total wireless to get verizon coverage...
    "Anything with a SIM"

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Great... and I want to get total wireless to get verizon coverage...
    Same Slime owns both.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I only wish they had a flip phone that I can use for the talk.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I got a private message from someone claiming to be a representative for Straight Talk. She asked that I email some corporate email and explain the situation. Nope! Nope! Nope! Nope! Nope! I've explained it to five representatives, and it's posted here. I'm done explaining it, and I've moved on, away from Straight Talk. The service is unreliable, and according to a recent report, Straight Talk has lost nearly 300,000 customers in Q1. Enjoy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast