Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Which smart phone for Straight Talk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0

    Which smart phone for Straight Talk

    Wanna buy a new Phone....What is the best or close to the best Android smartphone to buy to use on ST....Who has best prices...Thanks in advance...Wanna get away from buying a phone from ST

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    70
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Moto G for price savvy shoppers, a refurb of most last year flagships can be found for 400 or less most times if you want close to top of the line specs.

    Oh and if you got 650 to spend Nexus 6 but I might be bias.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    328
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by convincer253 View Post
    Wanna buy a new Phone....What is the best or close to the best Android smartphone to buy to use on ST....Who has best prices...Thanks in advance...Wanna get away from buying a phone from ST
    What is your budget and OS preferences?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Currently Have the S3..Which is a antique I know...I like it but am ready for something better and faster.....Don't really have a set budget...but don't wanna spend 500-600 dollars either

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    328
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by convincer253 View Post
    Currently Have the S3..Which is a antique I know...I like it but am ready for something better and faster.....Don't really have a set budget...but don't wanna spend 500-600 dollars either
    How about Oneplus one.
    $350.00 (approx) will get you 5.5 inch screen.
    3GB RAM.
    and 64 GB storage.
    With best in class battery life.

    https://oneplus.net/one
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1431481907608.png
Views: 481
Size:  320.3 KB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,819
    Feedback Score
    0
    For Straight Talk I would suggest the Samsung Captivate. The Galaxy S2 is also a fine choice although perhaps a bit too much phone for Straight Talk's network at this point. If you are into Apple, then 3GS would be perfect.

    These phones, while older, will cooperate better with Straight Talk's more primitive telecommunication back-end. Getting a modern phone would be a waste of money and the internals of a 2014+ phone will have speeds that far exceed Straight Talk's latency generator framework. The phones might enter into a feedback loop which could temporarily freeze data traffic.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    328
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    For Straight Talk I would suggest the Samsung Captivate. The Galaxy S2 is also a fine choice although perhaps a bit too much phone for Straight Talk's network at this point. If you are into Apple, then 3GS would be perfect.

    These phones, while older, will cooperate better with Straight Talk's more primitive telecommunication back-end. Getting a modern phone would be a waste of money and the internals of a 2014+ phone will have speeds that far exceed Straight Talk's latency generator framework. The phones might enter into a feedback loop which could temporarily freeze data traffic.
    It's not 2010 why would you suggest S2 or 3gs. ST network is no different than AT&T or Verizon network because its that same network just rebranded differently.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    70
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    For Straight Talk I would suggest the Samsung Captivate. The Galaxy S2 is also a fine choice although perhaps a bit too much phone for Straight Talk's network at this point. If you are into Apple, then 3GS would be perfect.

    These phones, while older, will cooperate better with Straight Talk's more primitive telecommunication back-end. Getting a modern phone would be a waste of money and the internals of a 2014+ phone will have speeds that far exceed Straight Talk's latency generator framework. The phones might enter into a feedback loop which could temporarily freeze data traffic.
    You ever read something so stupid you get Forest Whitaker eye?

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    0
    Any high-end VZW-branded Android will do if you want LTE.

    The LG G2 is going for around $200, Moto X gen1 is almost as good.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,819
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ron6400 View Post
    It's not 2010 why would you suggest S2 or 3gs. ST network is no different than AT&T or Verizon network because its that same network just rebranded differently.
    A Straight Talk user is not a power user by definition. Straight Talk may run on the same network but its service includes latency generators and routine data throttling algorithms. Go read the forum and you'll see reports of these behind the scenes items manifesting themselves in users' experiences. It doesn't take much phone at all to ride on Straight Talk's network. I am simply suggesting that users save money. If I only have one road that I travel on every day, and that road has a bunch of speed bumps and a posted limit of 25, I would be a fool to buy a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo to drive back and forth on that road, now wouldn't I?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL USA
    Posts
    81
    Feedback Score
    0
    Moto X - 2014

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by convincer253 View Post
    How do you know if its a VZW branded phone.....Is Ebay a place they can be bought new or used or where is a good place to get this phone...Thanks
    Result of < 1 minute on Google: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-g2-4g...less/1723195.p

    Very nice deal, grab it while it's still in stock!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greatestNothing View Post
    You ever read something so stupid you get Forest Whitaker eye?
    Well that's a bit too personal attack, not to mention Mr Whitaker's genuine medical condition that does actually affect his vision. . .

    But yes, the actual content of that post is quite nonsensical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    A Straight Talk user is not a power user by definition. Straight Talk may run on the same network but its service includes latency generators and routine data throttling algorithms. Go read the forum and you'll see reports of these behind the scenes items manifesting themselves in users' experiences. It doesn't take much phone at all to ride on Straight Talk's network. I am simply suggesting that users save money. If I only have one road that I travel on every day, and that road has a bunch of speed bumps and a posted limit of 25, I would be a fool to buy a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo to drive back and forth on that road, now wouldn't I?
    This "power user" topic seemed familiar, dug this up, seemed like a good response to me:

    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    The whole discussion of what is a "power user" seems a bit silly to me - user of what?

    I use my smartphones as ultra-portable general-purpose PC, all my contacts management is integrated into enterprise-quality CRM, I use sophisticated brainstorming/outlining tool and editors, have a very complex multiple-calendar scheduling setup, task management that ties into multi-project issue tracking systems, encrypted note-taking and comms software, use VPNs when appropriate, etc etc.

    But most of my data usage including SMS is via WiFi, most of my voice usage is VoIP, many of my phones are with low-usage MVNOs costing under $10 per month as far as carrier service is concerned.

    Your usage of carrier minutes/texts/MB is not an indicator of tech proficiency, in fact the latter helps keep the former to a minimum.

    But my teen partner who uses her device for nothing but chat and social media, does thousands of texts and minutes per month is certainly a "power user" from the carriers' POV.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,819
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm pretty offended that you guys can stand there and tell me that my post is "stupid". That's a personal attack and is against the terms of service for this site. I have a right to my opinion too.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    11,219
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Let me remind you folks, yet again, that personal attacks will not be tolerated. And also once again, if you see a post violating the rules, don't bother responding to it--simply report it. By responding, you become part of the problem. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread discussing cellular phones and services, without the personal insults and bickering.

    Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Smart Phone For Straight Talk
    By bamspy in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM
  2. Blackberry and Android Phones for Straight Talk?
    By duck_hunter870 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 11:11 PM
  3. Need Mil-Spec type GSM phone for straight talk
    By evochico in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 02:06 AM
  4. New Phone for Straight Talk - Samsung r355c - $129.xx
    By TheUncleBob in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM
  5. which smart phone for work?
    By alexplantman in forum Other AT&T PDAs/Smartphones
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks