Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which smart phone for Straight Talk

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Which smart phone for Straight Talk

Wanna buy a new Phone....What is the best or close to the best Android smartphone to buy to use on ST....Who has best prices...Thanks in advance...Wanna get away from buying a phone from ST

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Moto G for price savvy shoppers, a refurb of most last year flagships can be found for 400 or less most times if you want close to top of the line specs.

Oh and if you got 650 to spend Nexus 6 but I might be bias.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by convincer253 View Post
    Wanna buy a new Phone....What is the best or close to the best Android smartphone to buy to use on ST....Who has best prices...Thanks in advance...Wanna get away from buying a phone from ST
    What is your budget and OS preferences?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Currently Have the S3..Which is a antique I know...I like it but am ready for something better and faster.....Don't really have a set budget...but don't wanna spend 500-600 dollars either

Feedback Score
    Currently Have the S3..Which is a antique I know...I like it but am ready for something better and faster.....Don't really have a set budget...but don't wanna spend 500-600 dollars either
    How about Oneplus one.
    $350.00 (approx) will get you 5.5 inch screen.
    3GB RAM.
    and 64 GB storage.
    With best in class battery life.

https://oneplus.net/one
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1431481907608.png
Views: 481
Size:  320.3 KB

Feedback Score
    For Straight Talk I would suggest the Samsung Captivate. The Galaxy S2 is also a fine choice although perhaps a bit too much phone for Straight Talk's network at this point. If you are into Apple, then 3GS would be perfect.

These phones, while older, will cooperate better with Straight Talk's more primitive telecommunication back-end. Getting a modern phone would be a waste of money and the internals of a 2014+ phone will have speeds that far exceed Straight Talk's latency generator framework. The phones might enter into a feedback loop which could temporarily freeze data traffic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    For Straight Talk I would suggest the Samsung Captivate. The Galaxy S2 is also a fine choice although perhaps a bit too much phone for Straight Talk's network at this point. If you are into Apple, then 3GS would be perfect.

These phones, while older, will cooperate better with Straight Talk's more primitive telecommunication back-end. Getting a modern phone would be a waste of money and the internals of a 2014+ phone will have speeds that far exceed Straight Talk's latency generator framework. The phones might enter into a feedback loop which could temporarily freeze data traffic.
    It's not 2010 why would you suggest S2 or 3gs. ST network is no different than AT&T or Verizon network because its that same network just rebranded differently.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

You ever read something so stupid you get Forest Whitaker eye?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Any high-end VZW-branded Android will do if you want LTE.

The LG G2 is going for around $200, Moto X gen1 is almost as good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ron6400 View Post
    It's not 2010 why would you suggest S2 or 3gs. ST network is no different than AT&T or Verizon network because its that same network just rebranded differently.
    A Straight Talk user is not a power user by definition. Straight Talk may run on the same network but its service includes latency generators and routine data throttling algorithms. Go read the forum and you'll see reports of these behind the scenes items manifesting themselves in users' experiences. It doesn't take much phone at all to ride on Straight Talk's network. I am simply suggesting that users save money. If I only have one road that I travel on every day, and that road has a bunch of speed bumps and a posted limit of 25, I would be a fool to buy a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo to drive back and forth on that road, now wouldn't I?

Feedback Score
    Moto X - 2014

Feedback Score
    How do you know if its a VZW branded phone.....Is Ebay a place they can be bought new or used or where is a good place to get this phone...Thanks
    Result of < 1 minute on Google: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-g2-4g...less/1723195.p

Very nice deal, grab it while it's still in stock!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatestNothing View Post
    You ever read something so stupid you get Forest Whitaker eye?
    Well that's a bit too personal attack, not to mention Mr Whitaker's genuine medical condition that does actually affect his vision. . .

But yes, the actual content of that post is quite nonsensical.

A Straight Talk user is not a power user by definition. Straight Talk may run on the same network but its service includes latency generators and routine data throttling algorithms. Go read the forum and you'll see reports of these behind the scenes items manifesting themselves in users' experiences. It doesn't take much phone at all to ride on Straight Talk's network. I am simply suggesting that users save money. If I only have one road that I travel on every day, and that road has a bunch of speed bumps and a posted limit of 25, I would be a fool to buy a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo to drive back and forth on that road, now wouldn't I?
    This "power user" topic seemed familiar, dug this up, seemed like a good response to me:

Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    The whole discussion of what is a "power user" seems a bit silly to me - user of what?

I use my smartphones as ultra-portable general-purpose PC, all my contacts management is integrated into enterprise-quality CRM, I use sophisticated brainstorming/outlining tool and editors, have a very complex multiple-calendar scheduling setup, task management that ties into multi-project issue tracking systems, encrypted note-taking and comms software, use VPNs when appropriate, etc etc.

But most of my data usage including SMS is via WiFi, most of my voice usage is VoIP, many of my phones are with low-usage MVNOs costing under $10 per month as far as carrier service is concerned.

Your usage of carrier minutes/texts/MB is not an indicator of tech proficiency, in fact the latter helps keep the former to a minimum.

But my teen partner who uses her device for nothing but chat and social media, does thousands of texts and minutes per month is certainly a "power user" from the carriers' POV.

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty offended that you guys can stand there and tell me that my post is "stupid". That's a personal attack and is against the terms of service for this site. I have a right to my opinion too.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Let me remind you folks, yet again, that personal attacks will not be tolerated. And also once again, if you see a post violating the rules, don't bother responding to it--simply report it. By responding, you become part of the problem. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread discussing cellular phones and services, without the personal insults and bickering.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast