Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Telus equivalent to Rogers "Roam like home" might be coming.

Feedback Score

Telus equivalent to Rogers "Roam like home" might be coming.

It seems that a Telus launch of something similar to Rogers Roam Like Home might be imminent. That or at least a much better US roaming offer, something to compete with Rogers.

In mid-April Telus filed trademarks for the terms "Easy Roam" / "Voyagez Connecté" as well as "Roam Ready" / "Prêt pour l'itinérance"

For a brief period last week on the Telus Mobility roaming and travel webpage there was a clickable heading (as seen in the attached screen capture) called US Easy Roam, which linked to a "page not found" when clicked.

As a frequent user of RLH on Rogers, it really is a great feature. In the Rogers forum people love to rag on it and say that Roam Mobility is the best option, however for an extra dollar a day you get full access to both T-mobile and AT&T LTE networks, it works automatically as soon as you cross the border without swapping sim cards, setting up a new apn, and hoping you set up the correct start time and that everything works, as well as full access to your Canadian phone number. If you need a USA-based phone number and texting as well, there are many free options and apps like Google Voice giving you the best of both worlds, access to fully functional Canadian and US numbers for incoming and outgoing texts and phone calls.

Here's hoping a similar roaming option is coming to Telus, and knowing how the Big 3 operate, it will probably be a 100% match of Rogers' offer.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Would be great if true. Let's hope it's available for all Telus plans and not just their most expensive ones.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    It seems like "Roam Ready" refers to the offering for business plan customers which has been out for a few months (telus.com/roamready). It's a $2/month add-on which includes free unlimited sent/received text messaging while in USA, but not picture and video messaging. Upon the first use of voice service you'll get charged $25 for the rest of your billing cycle for unlimited minutes used in the USA. Upon the first use of data service you'll get charged $25 for 250mb, then above that incrementally $25 for each additional 250mb up to 3,750mb. Above that is a flat 10c/mb charge.

While not completely terrible, it's a far step away from the Rogers Roam Like Home offer.

The coming "Easy Roam" will probably just be the same thing for consumer plans, but who knows, maybe it will be something more competitive with Rogers...

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    I'd love to see this come to Koodo as well. It would suit vacations, and occasional travel very nicely.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Feedback Score
    I hope it's available very soon.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Lets hope then I won't have to leave for Rogers. This would be a key feature of me not leaving Telus. Only reason why I would leave Telus is the RLH.
    Current Phone: Blackberry Bold 2: 9700 Bell Mobility..

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I hope it's available very soon.
    It's good to have hopes, but the odds are low. Telus offers little that Koodo doesn't offer for cheaper. Telus is unlikely to give this to either of their flankers, for the same reason that Fido, Chatr, and Cityfone don't have it. Heck, Rogers corporate accounts (which offer better deals than their consumer and small business accounts) don't have RLH either. Got to provide some incentive to pay more for being on the mothership, right?
    Sent from my Lumia via the HoFo Windows Phone app
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    HTC One M8, iPad mini 2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I wonder like Rogers if they will have restrictions on non-sharable plans. I'm on a corporate plan so I can see Telus saying I would have to have a consumer sharable plan. Although, I do like their current travel package plans that last 30 days.

Feedback Score
    Great News! I just called about 10 times and I got the details about U.S. Easy Roam it will be available mid June. Here they are:

- $7 per day
    - It will be available for all consumer plans as an add on feature
    - It uses the data from your plan
    - Unlimited Talk and text

So its pretty much like the Rogers Roam like home except its $7 and can be added to any plan, only for Telus customers. I also included a link to the call where the agent says the details of easy roam for proof.

https://instaud.io/7t4

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Awesome news, wonder if they will have a cap like Rogers for per month fee? A little more to not have to switch to Rogers is a good deal
    For me.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PDark View Post
    Awesome news, wonder if they will have a cap like Rogers for per month fee? A little more to not have to switch to Rogers is a good deal
    For me.
    Little more? $50 vs $70 for 10 days, assuming telus will cap it at 10days. For short trips it is $2/day more for the exact same service. Do you like paying more for less? Wind offers the exact same service for $15 a month!

Telus needs to cap this at < $50 a month but knowing Telus, they wont do that.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Little more? $50 vs $70 for 10 days, assuming telus will cap it at 10days. For short trips it is $2/day more for the exact same service. Do you like paying more for less? Wind offers the exact same service for $15 a month!

Telus needs to cap this at < $50 a month but knowing Telus, they wont do that.
    Unfortunately I am not in a wind service zone, so they won't have me as a customer. I'm ok with paying more for being on a more robust network. But until it's released who knows stuff does change.

Let's hope they cap it although not crossing
    My fingers.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    If someone is on a grandfathered Telus plan that's better than the current in-market stuff, then the extra $2/day is chump change. If you're on an in-market Telus plan, it's less appealing. Much will depend on whether there's a cap, and how many days it's called at.

This is assuming that "any" Telus plan ends up being any plan at all, or whether it's just any current in-market plan.

Either way, this puts pressure on Bell. Nice to see actual competition for a change!
    Sent from my Lumia via the HoFo Windows Phone app

Feedback Score
    Yes, if someone is on those $60-$70 6GB plans and can get this roaming option, then it is better than Rogers. Even if it costs $2 more.

Feedback Score
    Based on the audio recording [email protected] posted, there still are two big questions..

1. He said data is based on your Canadian data allotment, but no mention as to which plans it will be available on. Just because he didn't say it'll only be available on in-market "Your Choice" share plans doesn't mean that it will be available on all plans. These call centre reps are very often misinformed, and the product hasn't been released yet. Before Rogers released an official announcement about RLH, people assumed it would be for everyone not just those on ShareEverything plans. That being said maybe having the higher $7 price is the tradeoff for having the feature available on all plans. Before I switched to ShareEverything I was hoping they'd still have on option for the old plans at like $7 or $8 per day instead of the $5 offer for the Share Everything plans.

2. Will there be a cap on days? And if so how many? Just because Rogers does 10 days max per billing cycle doesn't mean Telus will, especially since they're not matching Rogers' price. For example Roam Mobility caps their $4/day plan at 14 days and then charges $1/day after -- Telus could use a model similar to that.

And finally, does Telus have LTE roaming agreements with the U.S. carriers? Rogers RLH has access to both T-Mobile and AT&T's LTE networks.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast