Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: CEO says network will be #1 or #2 in a couple years

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

CEO says network will be #1 or #2 in a couple years

http://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ceo-...w-past-rivals/

Claure says 2 years he'll have a top network. He states he will be held accountable then too. No details given on how he'll fulfill this goal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post

Claure says 2 years he'll have a top network. He states he will be held accountable then too. No details given on how he'll fulfill this goal.
    With their current setup it seems extremely optimistic. Aren't they 1-2 years behind on their current plan?

Maybe if they win a healthy chunk of 600 mhz and are able to quickly deploy it he will be correct.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Nah, 600MHz may not be ready to be deployed until sometime in 2019.
    Thrill me...

Feedback Score
    I'd like to see sprint do well. They just need to go at it full force and not repeat some of their past mistakes.
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Several years?!?! What happened to "wait six months"? That was always the pat answer to any question about poor network performance.
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile , Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can't see it happening as they are so far behind the others and based on their past trends of not meeting their goals in a timely manner. I'd love to be wrong though.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As the article and the CEO clarified, he only meant in major markets. Considering most of their spectrum (thus data capacity) is in the short range / weak 2.5GHz spectrum, they'll have to densify their network a lot to deliver that, and that is most cost effective in urban areas. So I think they can do it... but it won't be the no. 1 or 2 network nationwide... just in major markets.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    They just need to keep quiet and get the work done.

A wonderful surprise beats a loudmouth with nothing to back it up any day of the week.

Feedback Score
    Sprint plans to densify their network in their present markets, so there is nothing surprising about having 100+mhz of 2.5ghz and blanketing cities with small cells. Of course it will be fast, but will it bring in customers? VZW and ATT can move fast and simply drop their pricing. The high margin business customers still need proper suburban and rural coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can say over the last three months from traveling all over the country that they've improved 100x what they were even 3-6mos ago, even in the rural areas i've been using them.

Not even a year ago i was still only picking up useless 1x/3G that could not even load a simple speedtest, but now i'm getting Band 41 about 75% of the time when i'm out in about on overnights even in other cities. Also, they've been firing up 800MHz left and right and that's been helping a ton in the rural areas i frequent.

As much as i love to bash Sprint, they've actually made more progress in the last 90 days than the entire time Dan Hesse was CEO.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Sprint is showing improvement if you look at indices like NetIndex and RootMetrics, but it's way too early to say they're going to be at or near 1 any time soon. Only way they'd be number 1 is if the FCC turned around and let T-Mobile buy them out and then said entity would do business as Sprint, but based in Bellevue with T-Mobile leadership, i.e. TMUS doing business as Sprint, or SoftBank buys T-Mobile and merges Sprint into T-Mobile, and John Legere stays as CEO with T-Mobile leadership in tow, and Marcelo only stays on the SoftBank board while going back to Miami to run the soccer team he wants to start.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    As the article and the CEO clarified, he only meant in major markets. Considering most of their spectrum (thus data capacity) is in the short range / weak 2.5GHz spectrum, they'll have to densify their network a lot to deliver that, and that is most cost effective in urban areas. So I think they can do it... but it won't be the no. 1 or 2 network nationwide... just in major markets.
    That clarification makes it a lot more realistic, but still a long shot in such a short time-frame.

The other carriers are re-farming spectrum and while that isn't easy, neither is building a 2.5GHz network. Sprint hasn't shown a great ability to do that. Sprint has complained that they're unable to get cell sites and fiber access to build a dense network and I'm wondering what might be changing there. And when we talk about building a denser network, we're really talking about a cost disadvantage in both one-time and ongoing costs. In urban areas, these cell sites need to be placed on buildings and that means rental fees along with the cost of actually building those cell sites (more equipment to purchase, more labor to install).

Ultimately, I think network reliability takes precedence over speed beyond a certain speed right now (maybe 10-15Mbps). People don't care that they can hit 30Mbps in some areas, but they do care that they drop to 3Mbps. And 2.5GHz TD-LTE doesn't look like it will bring amazing speeds. SoftBank hits a nice 22Mbps in Japan, well above the 12Mbps average in Japan, but if that is with higher variance than other carriers it might not be as good and it's not really a game-changing average. It's competitive.

And that's where I think Sprint will end up: competitive. Other carriers are often hitting SoftBank speeds in urban areas and I think it's unrealistic to think that a recovering Sprint will out-do SoftBank given that SoftBank has had a vastly easier time getting fiber and cell sites than Sprint has. So, it's hard to imagine Sprint becoming the #1 carrier from this, even in urban areas.

But ranking doesn't matter if everyone is bunched closely together. The fact that Sprint and T-Mobile were #3 and 4 mattered when they were way behind the big two. Now that T-Mobile is much closer to the big two, the fact that it's still probably #3 doesn't matter as much. I mean, if you have the choice of carriers and one does 15Mbps, another 14.7Mbps, another 14.4Mbps and another 14Mbps, well, you just don't care. There's clearly a fourth place there, but who cares. On the other hand, if the last placed carrier is doing 2.1Mbps, you do care. That impacts your use and enjoyment of the service. To me, it looks like we're headed toward a market where the four carriers are much closer bunched together in terms of quality and who is in front of who won't matter. In some ways, that's awesome for consumers as carriers with less differentiation need to compete on price. Having a market with 4 strong carriers will be awesome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kn1 View Post
    That clarification makes it a lot more realistic, but still a long shot in such a short time-frame.

The other carriers are re-farming spectrum and while that isn't easy, neither is building a 2.5GHz network. Sprint hasn't shown a great ability to do that. Sprint has complained that they're unable to get cell sites and fiber access to build a dense network and I'm wondering what might be changing there. And when we talk about building a denser network, we're really talking about a cost disadvantage in both one-time and ongoing costs. In urban areas, these cell sites need to be placed on buildings and that means rental fees along with the cost of actually building those cell sites (more equipment to purchase, more labor to install).

Ultimately, I think network reliability takes precedence over speed beyond a certain speed right now (maybe 10-15Mbps). People don't care that they can hit 30Mbps in some areas, but they do care that they drop to 3Mbps. And 2.5GHz TD-LTE doesn't look like it will bring amazing speeds. SoftBank hits a nice 22Mbps in Japan, well above the 12Mbps average in Japan, but if that is with higher variance than other carriers it might not be as good and it's not really a game-changing average. It's competitive.

And that's where I think Sprint will end up: competitive. Other carriers are often hitting SoftBank speeds in urban areas and I think it's unrealistic to think that a recovering Sprint will out-do SoftBank given that SoftBank has had a vastly easier time getting fiber and cell sites than Sprint has. So, it's hard to imagine Sprint becoming the #1 carrier from this, even in urban areas.

But ranking doesn't matter if everyone is bunched closely together. The fact that Sprint and T-Mobile were #3 and 4 mattered when they were way behind the big two. Now that T-Mobile is much closer to the big two, the fact that it's still probably #3 doesn't matter as much. I mean, if you have the choice of carriers and one does 15Mbps, another 14.7Mbps, another 14.4Mbps and another 14Mbps, well, you just don't care. There's clearly a fourth place there, but who cares. On the other hand, if the last placed carrier is doing 2.1Mbps, you do care. That impacts your use and enjoyment of the service. To me, it looks like we're headed toward a market where the four carriers are much closer bunched together in terms of quality and who is in front of who won't matter. In some ways, that's awesome for consumers as carriers with less differentiation need to compete on price. Having a market with 4 strong carriers will be awesome.
    "Network parity" - William Ho

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What I have yet to understand is why Sprint has in the past and continued to refuse microwave backhaul in all but a very few random circumstances, even while their network rollouts have been slowed considerably due to fiber delays.

It seems like I see the other 3 carriers throw up dishes on their sites all the time -- and roll out LTE quickly. Sprint still has a number of gaps that are 3G only... They all have LTE capable equipment now, but they are just waiting on fiber... Going on 2 years in some places.

Clear made their initial buildouts at lightning speed - - but doing hub and spoke with microwave. Sprint acquired all these sites... And all that gear. I don't know why they can't do some repurposing, especially as WiMax goes away and get some of this microwave capacity out to some of the sites that STILL have 3G.

Just seems like something Sprint failed to do, when they could have got LTE out faster, and took their sweet time getting the fiber.... Seems like a hub and spoke system using massive pipes at key sites would save backhaul fees vs. dragging fiber to every site. Not to mention deployment time.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post

Same old CEO speak.

He will play the blame game too, always a false promise with the Sprint CEOs.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast