Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 82

Thread: CEO says network will be #1 or #2 in a couple years

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,102
    Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    What I have yet to understand is why Sprint has in the past and continued to refuse microwave backhaul in all but a very few random circumstances, even while their network rollouts have been slowed considerably due to fiber delays.

    It seems like I see the other 3 carriers throw up dishes on their sites all the time -- and roll out LTE quickly. Sprint still has a number of gaps that are 3G only... They all have LTE capable equipment now, but they are just waiting on fiber... Going on 2 years in some places.

    Clear made their initial buildouts at lightning speed - - but doing hub and spoke with microwave. Sprint acquired all these sites... And all that gear. I don't know why they can't do some repurposing, especially as WiMax goes away and get some of this microwave capacity out to some of the sites that STILL have 3G.

    Just seems like something Sprint failed to do, when they could have got LTE out faster, and took their sweet time getting the fiber.... Seems like a hub and spoke system using massive pipes at key sites would save backhaul fees vs. dragging fiber to every site. Not to mention deployment time.
    I totally agree with this. Very good observations.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,635
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I can say over the last three months from traveling all over the country that they've improved 100x what they were even 3-6mos ago, even in the rural areas i've been using them.

    Not even a year ago i was still only picking up useless 1x/3G that could not even load a simple speedtest, but now i'm getting Band 41 about 75% of the time when i'm out in about on overnights even in other cities. Also, they've been firing up 800MHz left and right and that's been helping a ton in the rural areas i frequent.

    As much as i love to bash Sprint, they've actually made more progress in the last 90 days than the entire time Dan Hesse was CEO.
    This is good news to hear from someone who uses Sprint here in Arizona. We need Sprint to be more competitive to help the whole market. It's just with all the other lies and half truths not even related to the network they can't win back a lot of lost business

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    176
    Feedback Score
    0
    With Sprint's track record, only the most optimistic fans can believe Claure's latest grab for headlines:

    - Running in the red (overall) for years on end.
    - Spent, what, $5 billion or so, on "Network Vision", not t mention 3-4 years of customer agony with network performance during the rip & replace, and still ended up in last place for network performance. That alone tells anyone everything they need to know about Sprint's ability (i.e. inability) to deliver on network promises.
    - Lost at least 15 MILLION high-value, postpaid business customers between 2005 & 2013
    - Wrote off $29 BILLION in a single year due to the acquisition debacle
    - Paid twice for most of the 2.5 GHz spectrum (once when they bought Nextel, and again when they bought it back from Clearwire)
    - Took network buildout AND daily operations out of their own hands and turned it over to contract firms (makes it all the more difficult to control the outcome and the timing)
    - Overall, highest churn in the industry
    - etc, etc. etc.

    Sprint's inability to deliver on their promises is legendary. Why would this latest grab for headlines be any different?

    Why don't they just keep their gobs shut, make the network improvements happen, THEN brag about it? Whatever the reason, it is evidently pathological with Sprint.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,948
    Feedback Score
    0

    CEO says network will be #1 or #2 in a couple years

    SDC_01 I absolutely agree. I was a Sprint customer for years and kept believing the changes would eventually lead to a better network until I finally woke up one day and said "enough." The ineptitude of Sprint leadership has taken what was once a great mobile carrier and made it the laughing stock of the industry. If Sprint were to get their act together I would gladly jump back but I just don't see it happening. It just doesn't make sense for me to leave T-Mobile for an inferior offering at this point:

    • less international roaming

    • no VoLTE

    • inability to talk and use data simultaneously

    • devices are harder to get unlocked

    • network expansion moving at a snails pace

    • tethering not included with plan

    • the list goes on and on....


    via the HoFo App
    Last edited by coorey; 05-30-2015 at 07:19 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,985
    Feedback Score
    0
    In this case there are two types of CEOs. One like sprints and one like tmobiles. The net adds clearly show the differences. Sprint seems fine with mediocre CEOs year after year.

    Not trying to knock sprint but its time to be more proactive. Whether current CEO or a new one. Maybe they aren't giving current CEO enough money and power, who knows but something's gotta give if they want to be number 1 or 2 in a lot of markets
    Sent from my RM-1018_1006 via the HowardForums WP7 App

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    2,964
    Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    In this case there are two types of CEOs. One like sprints and one like tmobiles. The net adds clearly show the differences. Sprint seems fine with mediocre CEOs year after year.

    Not trying to knock sprint but its time to be more proactive. Whether current CEO or a new one. Maybe they aren't giving current CEO enough money and power, who knows but something's gotta give if they want to be number 1 or 2 in a lot of markets
    Sent from my RM-1018_1006 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    I wonder if it's a crappy board of directors? SOMETHING keeps Sprint arrogant and unwilling to touch their margins or even take big risks to compete, even when market forces are telling them it's time to do so...

    IIRC Sprint was about to get MetroPCS but it got shot down by the board even with the CEO behind it - - and we know how much that helped T-Mobile.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    261
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I can say over the last three months from traveling all over the country that they've improved 100x what they were even 3-6mos ago, even in the rural areas i've been using them.

    Not even a year ago i was still only picking up useless 1x/3G that could not even load a simple speedtest, but now i'm getting Band 41 about 75% of the time when i'm out in about on overnights even in other cities. Also, they've been firing up 800MHz left and right and that's been helping a ton in the rural areas i frequent.

    As much as i love to bash Sprint, they've actually made more progress in the last 90 days than the entire time Dan Hesse was CEO.
    Pretty amazing you're able to get b41 75% of the time considering it isn't even on half the towers yet.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,453
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I wonder if it's a crappy board of directors? SOMETHING keeps Sprint arrogant and unwilling to touch their margins or even take big risks to compete, even when market forces are telling them it's time to do so...

    IIRC Sprint was about to get MetroPCS but it got shot down by the board even with the CEO behind it - - and we know how much that helped T-Mobile.
    I've said it before but there's some lingering toxic management that remains within Sprint.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    697
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    http://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ceo-...w-past-rivals/

    Claure says 2 years he'll have a top network. He states he will be held accountable then too. No details given on how he'll fulfill this goal.
    Not a chance in hell that will happen under any circumstance possible. People will say anything to support their business models to keep consumers from leaving ship.

    Dish network will be out with Artemis pcells and be the new low cost leader and they are very well captalized compared to Sprint as that network starts getting built out from scratch.

    AT&T and Verizon remain the two market leaders with two different sets of customers. Tmobile and Dish network are the two wild cards but Sprint takes the back seat and loses even more money than it is now.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    On an Island...
    Posts
    5,879
    Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Not a chance in hell that will happen under any circumstance possible. People will say anything to support their business models to keep consumers from leaving ship.

    Dish network will be out with Artemis pcells and be the new low cost leader and they are very well captalized compared to Sprint as that network starts getting built out from scratch.

    AT&T and Verizon remain the two market leaders with two different sets of customers. Tmobile and Dish network are the two wild cards but Sprint takes the back seat and loses even more money than it is now.
    Actually, SB is known for their Whatever it takes approach to achieving their goals.

    Whatever It Takes.

    Vodafone can attest to that... Will Verizon admit the same in a couple of years time too....
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...


    Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,985
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'd like to see sprint do well so time will tell.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 via the HowardForums WP7 App

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    2,964
    Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post

    Actually, SB is known for their Whatever it takes approach to achieving their goals.

    Whatever It Takes.

    Vodafone can attest to that... Will Verizon admit the same in a couple of years time too....
    That was my understanding as well when the merger was being sold to everyone - - all I'm saying is that it doesn't appear to be the case... At least not yet. You've got Son who is complaining that it is taking much longer to turn the company around, and that he wouldn't be pouring money into it forever (the "mountain that is Sprint" talk) and now Claure back of Hesse's original plans to blanket their entire network with 2.5 and now saying that unlimited data won't last forever - - doesn't seem like a "whatever it takes" move to me...

    I still say that Sprint at least has SOME movement and that my service is the best it's been for years... But from a PR and marketing standpoint, they still aren't doing themselves any favors.... John Legere and crew really know how to spin the press.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,391
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    No details given on how he'll fulfill this goal.
    You mean by "adding up to 20,000 cell sites", deploying C-RAN, 4x2 MIMO, TM8, 8T8R and CA by using Band 25 FDD for the uplink and Band 41 TDD for the downlink? In the past 4 months or so Sprint or somebody kept on leaving bread crumbs on how they want their network to look like so the "how" part of they plan on being #1 or #2 network in the USA is already there. Maybe the author of the CNET article hasn't been paying attention to the news feeds from Fiercewireless because bits and pieces of the "how" part is already there.

    Then again Marcelo Claure had to visit his big boss to sell his idea to make Sprint #1 or #2 using the above mentioned ways.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,116
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    You mean by "adding up to 20,000 cell sites", deploying C-RAN, 4x2 MIMO, TM8, 8T8R and CA by using Band 25 FDD for the uplink and Band 41 TDD for the downlink?
    You can't deploy 4x2 MIMO together with TM8. That FierceWireless writer has no idea how that works.

    TM8 is Dual-Layer Beamforming defined in Release 9. It uses two spatial streams (2x2 MIMO) and with beamforming techniques helps with coverage and capacity. In order to use 4x2 MIMO, they'd need TM9, which is not how they're configured.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,635
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    You mean by "adding up to 20,000 cell sites", deploying C-RAN, 4x2 MIMO, TM8, 8T8R and CA by using Band 25 FDD for the uplink and Band 41 TDD for the downlink? In the past 4 months or so Sprint or somebody kept on leaving bread crumbs on how they want their network to look like so the "how" part of they plan on being #1 or #2 network in the USA is already there. Maybe the author of the CNET article hasn't been paying attention to the news feeds from Fiercewireless because bits and pieces of the "how" part is already there.

    Then again Marcelo Claure had to visit his big boss to sell his idea to make Sprint #1 or #2 using the above mentioned ways.
    This is the issue with Sprint and why they've earned they skepticism people show in this thread. The CEO publicly stated this network target. The CNET author is in no position to cite rumors in an article like this. It's Claure's responsibility to tell customers how this might be achieved so they believe him.

    Also, have any of those mentioned plans happened on a scale to back Claure's claims? Sprint sits on more spectrum than the other carries and have absorbed two other nationwide networks in the previous decade. Yet, they remain in last or at least not first in many third party assessments. The 'how' is very important and shouldn't be left up to rumors and pieced together sources.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Solo Will the Motorola w385 Be Coming out for Solo or Bell in the Next Year?
    By tag420 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 07:55 AM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 08:35 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM

Bookmarks