Thread: Blackberry Balance for non-corporate users?

Feedback Score

Blackberry Balance for non-corporate users?

I apologize in advance if this is a lame question, but so far I can't find the answer to this question anyplace else:

1). Is it possible for a non-corporate wireless customer to have BB's "Balance" service on their own phone?

I know how Balance works for employees of a corporation that runs its own BB10 servers, but do any of the US wireless providers (or BB itself) run BB10 in the background for non-corporate users with individual or family accounts at VZ/AT&T/T-Mo/Sprint?

As a two-person, self-employed household, we are both tired of carrying two phones around (one for personal use, other for business use), and the BB Balance service seems ideal. But of course we can't justify running our own BB10 server for just two people, so we're hoping that one of the big carriers or BB itself runs the BB10 servers so that a private customer can obtain the benefit of the Balance service with a regular family type account with either VZ or AT&T. Of course we would expect to pay, and be happy to pay, extra $ per month for the service, if Balance service can be had by non-corporate individual/family accounts.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, and as I said in my opening line, I apologize in advance for asking such a lame question.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Classic: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2708 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I don't think you understand what exactly BlackBerry Balance is. It's a way of allowing companies to secure work data while allowing the users to keep their personal data private. As a business owner, and based on what you've explained, I don't think you have a need for this. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-30-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    The goal is to consolidate two phones per person down to a single phone, that single phone being a two-line phone - one line is the business number, other is the personal number, so obviously incoming calls, VM, text messages, (and ideally billing - for tax purposes) are kept separate.

I do understand what BB Balance does from the corporate perspective, and I do understand that it was designed from the corporate perspective. The reason I'm trying to see if it is available to an entity that does not self-host BB10/BES is to effectively emulate two-line service.

At least 13 years ago, probably earlier, Nextel phones were all two-line capable, and companies that ran Nextel could offer their employees to have their own personal number on the company phone, with separate billing (the company received the billing for the company number, the employee received their own billing at their own address). The user could set different ringers on each line, and the display clearly showed whether the incoming call was for line 1 or line 2, although I believe the two lines shared a single VM box. The convenience is obvious: a single phone, two separate lines, separate billing.

Blackberry Balance offers far more sophistication in terms of the "firewall" between the company's communications and the employee's personal communications, plus the ability of the company to remotely "wipe" their side of the phone if it is lost or the employee goes rogue. Because we are self-employed we don't need the remote wipe capability, but we definitely do desire to carry a single device that is two-line capable and can keep the firewall between business comms & personal comms.

At any rate, it's a moot point now, as I was able to determine yesterday that neither Verizon nor AT&T offer the Balance service, it can only be had when a corporation hosts their own BB10/BES service on top of their chosen provider's wireless service. I don't think there is anything technical stopping VZ/ATT from running BES themselves and offering Balance as an optional service to non-corporate users, but it is clear to me now that neither provider does that. Frankly, with all of the power available today in the phones themselves and the back-end infrastructure, and knowing there is a decent percentage of people who have to carry a company-issued phone in addition to their personal phone, and given that little old Nextel offered this simple service at least 13 years ago, I find it difficult to believe that no provider offers two-line service today.

Thank you for the reply, but it's a moot point now.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Classic: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2708 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

BlackBerry Balance does not give your phone an additional line though. This is where I believe you're misunderstanding the technology. It's still one phone number, with info on the phone separated into Work and Personal sides.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-30-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    Ah, OK, thank you for the clarification

Although BB Balance is not quite the same as the old Nextel two-line service, it comes closer than any other service offered today that I'm aware of, and aside from separate billing for tax purposes, I'd think Balance would effectively do the trick.

Thanks again for the assistance & clarification. For now we'll stick with carrying two phones...at least that will make Apple happy ;-)