Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do I need to sign up for T-Mobile postpaid?

Feedback Score

What do I need to sign up for T-Mobile postpaid?

I'll be traveling in the states and some nearby countries for a couple of years and I've looks around and a T-mobile post-plan is what I want. Well, what I really want is good US data and the international roaming - but thats only on post paid.

I'm not a US resident and I won't become one while down there. What do I actually need to sign up for post paid plans? I have credit cards (Canadian) but presumably no credit (good or bad) in the US. Do I need utility bills or any crap like that?

Feedback Score
    T-mobile postpaid requires ssn when you first signup (they do a hard pull)

you might be able to get t-mobile to run a canadian credit report (based on thread below, but it's from 2010), going to be multiple hoops though
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1#post13972841

(t-mobile does have postpaid w/o credit check plans, but they do not offer international roaming). Also, t-mobile (unofficially) limits you to 4-6 weeks of continuous international roaming.... might want to get actual int'l plans (eg lycamobile, worldsim) for those cases

Feedback Score
    I have a Tmo postpaid line that had roamed with around 1-200MB usage per month for around 4 months. Did not see any problems, tho I heard Tmo does have an unofficial limit of 6 months of roaming.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I BELIEVE T-mobile has no-credit post paid plan. Family plan is limited to 5 lines. (That is what my friends who just came from India were getting)

No way to upgrade to 10 lines family plan later in that plan though.

If you do not have any credit, then you can always put down some deposit... Which I don't think would be an issue though unless you are trying to finance any phones.

I suppose, you can always join MVNO like Harbormobile since they provide post paid line in prepaid format.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    I BELIEVE T-mobile has no-credit post paid plan. Family plan is limited to 5 lines. (That is what my friends who just came from India were getting).
    as I mentioned above, the no-credit post paid plan does not include free international roaming

Feedback Score
    harbormobile doesnt finance phones. It would be quite a large upfront investment. Youll have $649 for the phone, plus paying for the plan, sim caards et cextra.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    harbormobile doesnt finance phones. It would be quite a large upfront investment. Youll have $649 for the phone, plus paying for the plan, sim caards et cextra.
    Why would he have to get a $649 phone? A $150 Samsung Avant has almost everything an S4 or S5 has + has Band 12. There are even cheaper smart phones.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    Youll have $649 for the phone
    Yes that is a bit of a random number, where'd you pull that out of?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomflry View Post
    I am guessing he is confused with Project Fi which requires Google Nexus 6 which the 32GB version used to be $649 (now it is $499).

Harbor mobile does not have any restrictions. You can use ANY T-mobile phone you wish or any Unlocked phone you wish. (preferable if it supports all T-mobile bands though)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomflry View Post
    that's the normal price for a premium phone

iPhone 6 16GB base model = $649
    HTC One M9 base model = $649

Feedback Score
    But such a high-end phone is hardly a requirement for getting on board with T-Mobile, why would you claim that?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    that's the normal price for a premium phone

iPhone 6 16GB base model = $649
    HTC One M9 base model = $649
    Kids aside (who have more $ to spend on Apple phones then they know what to do with) - most practical users don't buy $600+ phones. I'm surprised you didn't also list the top selling S6 - which is also in that price range.

Feedback Score
    Bummer, I don't have an SSN and it would take me too long to get one (not to mention to build a credit history) so it seems like that won't work. The Simple No-check plans would be fine except that they seem to exclude the one thing I'm really after, which is international roaming. Obstensibly that's because they can't limit your roaming use until it's "too late", but I'm only after the free data roaming countries anyway. I can't find a solid answer on whether that still works with the no check plans.

Do any of the MVNOs offer the free edge roaming that T-mobile does?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beeonrope View Post
    Bummer, I don't have an SSN and it would take me too long to get one (not to mention to build a credit history) so it seems like that won't work. The Simple No-check plans would be fine except that they seem to exclude the one thing I'm really after, which is international roaming. Obstensibly that's because they can't limit your roaming use until it's "too late", but I'm only after the free data roaming countries anyway. I can't find a solid answer on whether that still works with the no check plans.

Do any of the MVNOs offer the free edge roaming that T-mobile does?
    You don't have any American citizen friends that would trust you enough to front for you?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, LG Leon LTE, Xiaomi Note 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score

What do I need to sign up for T-Mobile postpaid?

Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    You don't have any American citizen friends that would trust you enough to front for you?
    SSNs are not limited to US citizens. Permanent residents and probably those with long-term visas have SSNs. Hopefully that broadens the OP's horizon.

sent from my iPhone
    Jeffw16

Blog

1. T-Mobile Band 4 LTE at UTD, 2. T-Mobile Band 12 LTE, 3. TWC 100Mbps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast