Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do I need to sign up for T-Mobile postpaid?

Feedback Score
    Did I give T-Mo my SSN when I signed up a couple of months ago? Can't recall I did - but they did run a full credit check, as I learned from the report from a company that was monitoring for free because of one of the big merchant database breaches. And that was just for the cheapest Simple Choice plan - not even a phone from them. Kind of sad that they won't trust you to be good for 50 bucks (plus taxes and "regulatory recapture" or whatever that fraudulent fee is called). On balance I like T-Mobile. But really, a firm should trust its customers, if it wants to be trusted in return. $50 a month shouldn't be credit-report territory. Even if your credit's fine, as is mine, that's just insulting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw16 View Post
    SSNs are not limited to US citizens. Permanent residents and probably those with long-term visas have SSNs. Hopefully that broadens the OP's horizon.

sent from my iPhone
    Good credit history does add a bit of a high bar there too...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, LG Leon LTE, Xiaomi Note 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Good credit history does add a bit of a high bar there too...
    Yeah, true. But immigrants who were able to come to the US probably know what they're doing. They won't screw up after an opportunity of a lifetime. At least for my parents.
    Jeffw16

Blog

1. T-Mobile Band 4 LTE at UTD, 2. T-Mobile Band 12 LTE, 3. TWC 100Mbps

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I live in Canada and I have a postpaid T-Mobile data line, so it can be done, but I: a) have a US mailing address [Montana PO box]; b) have native US credit cards [one thanks to my PO box, the other an Amex that I got by leveraging my Canadian credit history). It was rather funny when I got the data line activated in San Diego last year - the three customers before me all needed deposits and walked out without activating, and my line was activated without any deposit being needed.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Feedback Score
    In this case it doesn't. While I could in principle get an SSN - it's not actually the SSN you need - it is to pass a credit check. Since I have zero credit here I assume that is not possible without an SSN.

Are there any other MVNOs offering t-mobile's roaming options? I have looked into worldsim but the rates are frankly terrible compared to local rates and compared to free roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    You don't have any American citizen friends that would trust you enough to front for you?

Yes that is certainly an option. Can they sign up for the account but have it otherwise in my name (for example if I call a customer service, I don't want them asking for my friend before I can proceed). If that's not possible, at least I want to be able to associate my own credit card with the account rather than have my friend paid each month and try to transfer the money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2